Author Topic: Really, really bad performance[SOLVED]  (Read 1373 times)

Really, really bad performance[SOLVED]
Hi, a newbie question here. I installed the mod as explained in the Director's Cut topic, it starts nicely, the first intro goes smoothly as well, but then at the campaign start it just goes very slowly, as in, one second of game time lasts 4-5 seconds, you wait a full second to get a bit of movement then it freezes again for a second etc. I deleted MV-advanced  from mediavps_3612 and adv-bp from blueplanet, but everything is exactly the same. My configuration is
intel i3 2100
4 gb of ram
ati 6790

edit-I should add that I tried the original campaign on this setup just now, the last mission. Works like a charm.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:26:46 pm by IcemanFreespace »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Really, really bad performance
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Hope this is it. Also I edited the first post, tried the regular campaign from this very setup, works great.
Also, I went into the first mission with the debug exe, FPS counter is at a rock solid 59.9 during first text fade in/fade out, with that greenish nebula background, but then as soon as the ships and the portal show up, it drops to 5-7 fps, with the aforementioned freezes.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There are two things you should try. One is to use the executable from this thread: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=83318.0
It's an updated version of the one you're using. The second, if that does not address the performance issues, is to go to this thread: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=83606.0 and install the compatibility packs, then use the 3.7.2 RC build.

Tried the first one, everything remains the same, I struggled through the opening cutscene and into the first mission, mission is better than the cutscene, but still unplayable. Will try option 2 when I get home tonight, thank you for the help!  :)

Hi, I tried it now, and it works! Everything is smooth, thanks!  However, a I have a different problem, one I discovered this morning while trying out Media VP 2014. It seems to be a fso issue actually, also present with this 3.7.2 RC1 which is, my menus and everything except the gameplay and cutscenes, have 4:3 ratio, then go to 16:9 once I enter the mission.

Btw this morning while using the latest nightly build and Media VP 2014, it also had very small HUD, like when you up the resolution and your icons get smaller.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
All of that is intended behaviour. Before, interface screens and HUD elements were stretched and distorted (they're made to fit a 4:3 resolution), now they're displayed scaled to fit (for interface screens) or pixel accurate (for HUD elements).

Re: Really, really bad performance[SOLVED]
It seems overall that deferred lighting code of Blue Planet builds GREATLY favors Nvidia cards over AMD cards.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Re: Really, really bad performance[SOLVED]
It seems overall that Nvidia cards GREATLY favor deferred lighting code of Blue Planet builds.

NVIDIA has always been much better about OGL