Author Topic: Newest Hosted Site (THANKS HLP!)  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
    • United Gamers Coalition
Newest Hosted Site (THANKS HLP!)
Well we have gotten hosting here at HLP for the Campaign - Between the Devil and the Deep Blue

Ive just finished porting the site from the old host to the HLP host, and have encountered few problems along the way especially with a CGI script i have. Doesnt matter anyways, cause ill build my own version of that CGI script with ASP and it will be better.

Anyhow here's the URL, hope you enjoy it and thanks a bunch HLP you guys ROCK!

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
Whats with the tiny space for actual content there... you dont need all that crap around it. For example, the copyright... thats not a valid copyright, it just takes up space, and it wont deter anyone. The huge black area to the right? whats that for? The [V]/Interplay logos... not needed.

That would clear up alot of space.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Re: Newest Hosted Site (THANKS HLP!)
Originally posted by Lonestar
ill build my own version of that CGI script with ASP and it will be better.

I was under the impression that HLP stuff ran on Lunix machines, not win32 machines?
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
I love critics. Reason there is a big blank spot on the right, is simply because im not using tables of any kind, and the site fits to 800x600 perfectly. Ever been to MSN? They have that blank spot because they are trying to cater to low end users as well as high end.

Hehe but as the front page says its under construction. So the small areas, and big banners and all that stuff is being worked out. As a matter of fact im doing it right now as we speak, so return again and see the changes.

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
Re: Re: Newest Hosted Site (THANKS HLP!)
Originally posted by mikhael

I was under the impression that HLP stuff ran on Lunix machines, not win32 machines?

From what i saw, there are some ASP sites on the 3dactionplanet server, which means they are using WIN2k since the Unix boxes dont support ASP. I could be wrong. Every variant of the CGI script i used, only showed me text and ive gone through the FAQ on all the sites with 3DAP and done everything they mentioned to no avail. its not a big deal though ill just use the ASP. Im going to inquire more about it, maybe i missed a step somewhere.

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
Originally posted by vadar_1
Whats with the tiny space for actual content there... you dont need all that crap around it. For example, the copyright... thats not a valid copyright, it just takes up space, and it wont deter anyone. The huge black area to the right? whats that for? The [V]/Interplay logos... not needed.

That would clear up alot of space.

Thanks for your suggestions. Ive stretched it to fit screen (almost) and also spaced it out some. ive still got to redo logo and add some more content and other fun stuff, but for right now this will do. As for copyright its temporarily gone in replace of a longer content area, but it will return.

Anyways, i just read up on the hosting specs, seems they use PHP and MysQL on Unix servers, however it doesnt let me CHMOD anything, nor does it read CGI scripts properly, even after i edited the scripts as per instructions from 3DAP FAQ's. Little help?

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
love the buttons man :)

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Now THIS is what I'm talking about!:D

I'm glad to see this day has come. With a little bit of luck, DatDB will be getting its forum here too soon and then the fun can REALLY commence!:cool:

Oh, Lone, here's an updated list of the DatDB staff, present and future:

Present DatDB staffers:

You (Website management)
Me (campaign creator and writer)
Analazon (FREDder)
AqueousShadow (FREDder)
Sandwich (moral support, liason to HLP Admin, story consultant and assorted other tasks :D)
Sheepy (Assorted artwork)
Knight Templar (FREDder)
Raven2001 (weapons modder)

Future staffers who have shown interest in joining or have agreed to join once their current projects are done:

CP5670 (FREDder and overall campaign building consultant)
Stryke 9 (has agreed to provide additional weapon modding)

I think that's everyone so far, but additional staff roles (ship modder and animation builders) remain open if anyone wishes to join the staff.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
Originally posted by Stealth
love the buttons man :)

You like those? Wow, personally for me they look good for now, but they need a sleeker look IMO.

Sutehp, ill edit the staff file now. In the future it will be a simple form feild to fill out and submit and it will update dynamically

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
"I phoned up Aiesha and told her about this fat party and if she wanted to go and she was like "hells yeah sista"

:)

*now the forum wait begins*
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read