Author Topic: Dimensional Eclipse Discussion Thread (original release thread)  (Read 153181 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: RELEASE: 次元のエクリプス - Dimensional Eclipse
OK, I've ran into a new, rather serious bug, also at Talos station.
When you exit the mission via the pause menu and enter it again, the game crashes upon proceeding to ship loadout. If you skip it, it mostly works, up to the point after friendly reinforcements arrive. Then, when targeting the enemy superbombers, the screen goes black except for the HUD, which gets messed up (elements missing or moved). The mission seems to continue running. And yes, it's reproducable on release build (didn't try on debug yet).
Note, the first part happened to me sometimes with my experimental mods, but these were rare, and I thought that it was due to bugs in those (poorly debuged) modpacks. I've didn't had a black screen problem in them though. I do remember something like that happening , but I can't remember where (maybe in BP? A long time ago, that's for sure).

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Were you matching speeds? :P (Yes, It happened in BP once due to a divide by zero error caused by matching speeds.)
This is probably a divide by zero error, but what is being divided by zero, the hell if I know.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Were you matching speeds? :P (Yes, It happened in BP once due to a divide by zero error caused by matching speeds.)
This is probably a divide by zero error, but what is being divided by zero, the hell if I know.

It happened in BP due to a number of other things, including weird asset stuff related to the Vishnan Keeper. It's a devil of a bug (or a symptom of multiple bugs).

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I've got a comfortable throttle, so I'm not using automated speed matching. Also, that one was fixed.
I strongly suspect it's related the the first bug I mentioned (crash upon entering the ship or weapon loadout after manually exiting the mission). It didn't happen before, so it might be another symptom of this bug.
Another possibility is, Stheno is bugged in a similar way to the Keeper. Both are Esarai's models, so this maybe that's the cause. Also, Stheno has yet to be extensively tested, DE is the first campaign to feature it so often.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Would you like me to include the texture patch with the package on fsmods Droid?
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Droid803

Yes, as well as the mission patched core VP. thanks~

Esarai's Keeper is not bugged. The INFR1 one is. IIRC. The HTL Akrotiri was converted by FSF anyway...
(´・ω・`)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
IIRC, the bug happened with the HTL Keeper (it also used to disappear in the middle of the mission, with no apparent explanation). Though I may be wrong, this was a long time ago.

Offline -Norbert-

Then you can get whatever build you want, whenever you want.  Mine compiles in about 5 minutes max.
Yes, really easy, provided you have the necessary programs.

Linkified that for you.  As long as you don't mind downloading ~1GB of data, it should be no problem (That is for MSVC++2010Express, Windows Updates for MSVC, and Tortoise SVN).
The last time I downloaded Visual Studio Express it was a 30 day trial (which already expired for me).

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
You need to have a Windows Live account for it, and register within 30 days. Then it's free and should work just fine.

:yes:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
OK, I've tried to run the mission through debug (on Trainee, for testing purposes) and got a handful of small errors (Longinus is missing a texture, Tornado is missing a glowpoint, and there's some minor SNAFU with Turret08 on the asteroid base).
Then, shortly after the Nightmare Crusier arrived, this popped up:
Code: [Select]
Assert: theta_goal >=0
File: vecmat.cpp
Line: 1798

ntdll.dll! KiFastSystemCallRet
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_13d_SSE2_BP.exe! <no symbol>
kernel32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 18 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 99 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 54 bytes
Log attached.
Also, I've confirmed the crash on proceeding to ship selection as a manifestation of a more general engine bug. I've posted about it on SCP board.

[attachment deleted by a ninja]

Offline Droid803

This...is some vector based thing. And seeing goals, I am led to remember something to do with Hyperspace, and positions changing too fast for pathfinding. May or may not be this.
(´・ω・`)

Alright, I'm a few missions in, and so far, I'm liking how it's going. The music, new ships, and different combat mechanics are a nice change from general retail combat.  :yes:

My only only complaint is how easy it is to get instantly dropped, for example against sentry guns. I'd like to say that maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it takes pretty careful execution to get rid of them from what I've experienced.  :banghead:

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Don't get TAGed. The post does it with it's beams, if you kill it's turrets, the platform won't fire at all. They tell you about about that, actually.

Problem is, those beams are already firing upon me when the mission starts, so I've got almost no chance of not getting tagged. Is that supposed to happen? >_>

Offline Droid803

You should have a fair bit of distance and allied wings should be drawing most of the fire if you don't bumrush in.
(´・ω・`)

0_o That's definitely not what I'm getting. I press commit, and I'm already getting bombarded by the post before I even have the chance to move.

Offline Droid803

There should be a cutscene, are you on full throttle during it? Don't set your throttle to max during the intro.
I thought it wouldn't matter if I didn't freeze the player in place and just set initial throttle to 0, its not a very long sequence and initial placement is far out of range. :/

Even if you get TAG'd you should still be out of turret range, just wait for it to wear off.
(´・ω・`)

I wasn't putting myself at full throttle at the beginning of the mission, but it turns out that that's how I start out, which explains why I always seemed to get nailed after finishing the cutscene. I have the auto-target on, despite my first target usually being the outpost, which I don't think my auto-match speed should catch. Looks like the fix was just to hit throttle to zero at the beginning of the cutscene. All better  :D

Offline Droid803

I'll fix that by locking player position during the cutscene then, for whenever enough things come together to warrant another patch, or 1.1 or something
(´・ω・`)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
This...is some vector based thing. And seeing goals, I am led to remember something to do with Hyperspace, and positions changing too fast for pathfinding. May or may not be this.
Any chance of fixing that one? It definitely seems to be mission related, unlike my previous report (which was a code bug).