Site Management > Site Support / Feedback

Let's just burn poldisc to the ground.

(1/37) > >>

Grizzly:
Also just ban political discussion of current events in general, as it is on discord.

karajorma:
I suspect that would just result in things moving back to gen discuss.

More importantly, what happened was a symptom of a deeper problem with HLP. And I honestly feel it would have happened even without political discussions.

I'll leave this thread open but I suspect that even discussions of whether or not we should have a political board will prove my point.

Grizzly:
I agree on both points, but consider:
Political discussion is only as good as its moderation. Even without trolling admins actively making the situation worse, you end up in situation where moderators can't actually moderate effectively because their peers have already been involved in it.

I'd argue that the only reason HLP still puts so much weight on political discussions is because it celebrates a culture of heated arguments over everything else. I think trying to adhere to this culture over everything else will just bring more people to ruin.

karajorma:
MP-Ryan has already stated that it is his desire to see a change to that culture and make Political Discussion into a place where civilised discussion about politics can be had. Given the sheer number of people who are mostly on HLP because they find it a good place to talk about what is going on in the world, I'd definitely be loath to remove it when it might actually result in us losing lots of members.

Grizzly:

--- Quote from: karajorma on October 30, 2020, 03:17:57 am ---MP-Ryan has already stated that it is his desire to see a change to that culture and make Political Discussion into a place where civilised discussion about politics can be had.

--- End quote ---

I vaguely remember that was his goal three years ago. Did it work, was the effort worth it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version