Author Topic: Freespace2 Online Installer  (Read 63091 times)

Re: Freespace2 Online Installer w/ Open Installer Option
The full install with all movies and a bunch of mods is around 2.3GB when it's zipped up.

I think Shivan's 2.0 is going to be clean, no patches.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That'd be great, unless I've been using my install for a while and it's cluttered with a bunch of stuff that wouldn't come with a fresh install.  Unless I have a really good idea what I'm doing, I wouldn't know what to clean out and what to make sure I leave.  I'd have to redo the installer to another directory, still using up the bandwidth anyway.  I wouldn't have any issues with Shivan's pack being used for this, except he seems to sometimes have a problem with that himself.  But since he's going to pack it, I'd really hope he does a standalone release this time and not just another patch on the old one.

Cleaning up an old FS2 install is pretty easy actually.

1.  Delete or remove any file from your Freespace2 folder which you don't see in this picture. (Don't worry if you don't have them all)
   2. Rename your Data folder to DataOld
   3. Make a new folder called Data
   4. Move DataOld\Players to Data
   5. Move DataOld\Freddocs to Data
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

the problem with making a standalone installer is that we have to re-upload a whole new installer when something new comes out, where as an online installer just downloads the new stuff as soon as it comes out without the need of modification to the actual installer.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
the problem with making a standalone installer is that we have to re-upload a whole new installer when something new comes out, where as an online installer just downloads the new stuff as soon as it comes out without the need of modification to the actual installer.

That's not entirely true.  I'm not sure about this, but I'm guessing the installer checks some text files or something online to see what's needed, correct?  All that would be needed is to first check a local directory, such as on the dvd medium it's on, and if there's something there, use that by default, or better yet, ask the user to check online for updates, and anything that hasn't changed from the dvd could just be copied from it.  You could do an entire offline install from the disk, or use it to pull files from the net, but not the stuff already on the disk.  I'm actually thinking about modifying Turey's code myself to do something like this, if I feel like getting my hands dirty with Java sometime.  That is, unless you guys think this is a good idea and beat me to it.  I think this could be the beginning of a 'release engineering' group.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

That's not entirely true.  I'm not sure about this, but I'm guessing the installer checks some text files or something online to see what's needed, correct?  All that would be needed is to first check a local directory, such as on the dvd medium it's on, and if there's something there, use that by default, or better yet, ask the user to check online for updates, and anything that hasn't changed from the dvd could just be copied from it.  You could do an entire offline install from the disk, or use it to pull files from the net, but not the stuff already on the disk.  I'm actually thinking about modifying Turey's code myself to do something like this, if I feel like getting my hands dirty with Java sometime.  That is, unless you guys think this is a good idea and beat me to it.  I think this could be the beginning of a 'release engineering' group.

Yes but that defeats the whole purpose of having an offline installer if it has to go online to check for updates. If a person doesnt have internet, how is he going to get the update? But I see where your going with this, should the person have a 56k modem, the offline installer with a updater would be ideal since the actual build thats being updated is only a few MB in size, but then again, mods will be updated as well so were back at the point where its just easier to use the online installer, install it to your disk, and copy it to a dvd and give it to a friend.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 04:52:18 pm by [DW]-Hunter »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Retail Installer has been updated to use the new exe Open Installer.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline PzyCrow

Have you conciderd using something like dijjer for the downloads?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils

WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN TO ME?!

I've tried this four times and it always crashes in this exact spot...

I really want to play this again, rather than sit around and gawk at all the new updates that I've missed out on from the past three years just because my CDs won't even go as far as finishing Installshield Wizard and I DON'T want to spend 18 hours downloading a 1.98 gigabyte zip folder over Shivan's .torrent which takes me four weeks to transfer...

What's wrong with this installation??

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
I don't know what it causing your problem, but try not selecting the cutscenes, as you can get them from the FreeSpace Open Installer as well. That might fix your problem.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Have you conciderd using something like dijjer for the downloads?

I dont think i need to worry about bandwidth for a while there buddy... I have 4.5TB/mo of bandwidth on the site hosting the files.

I really want to play this again, rather than sit around and gawk at all the new updates that I've missed out on from the past three years just because my CDs won't even go as far as finishing Installshield Wizard and I DON'T want to spend 18 hours downloading a 1.98 gigabyte zip folder over Shivan's .torrent which takes me four weeks to transfer...

If all you want is the retail version and you want the cutscenes, install without the cutscenes and then let me know and I can give you the links for the cutscenes, otherwise use tureys installer to install the cutscenes when your installing open.

Re: Freespace2 Online Installer
Turey this latest installer has taken all day to download and update FS2, (Yea I screwed everything up and had to do a total reinstall again) but thank God the installer is there, so far its saved me a lot of downloading, plus I can still surf the web with this one, the last one took more resources, dunno why.
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
-From post 1:
1/11/07 : No longer Includes Turey's Open Installer neither the MVE Cutscenes since their link is broken.
Update: the Open Installer's link is no longer broken.

Hi guys.

I'm just wondering that how much will the Open Installer install, if I chose update all. It has updated over 14h now and it's taking almost 5Gb of my harddrive... :doubt: When do I get to play it? :wtf:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
5Gb?  Don't include the archives in the amount; then the total will be about 3.3 GB that will be there when it is done.  In other words, after the Installer's done, the archive files are deleted, and the size is 3.3 GB.  I think if you check the size of everything except the FreeSpace2\Installer directory, that should work... I think.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
think if you check the size of everything except the FreeSpace2\Installer directory, that should work... I think.

That whole folder is text files anyways. It won't significantly affect the total size.

You DID say "Install All." That's all of FreeSpace 2, the very large content upgrades known as mediavps, all of FreeSpace 1 and Silent Threat, Awakenings, Derelict, JAD 1&2, FreeSpace Demo Campaign, the cutscenes for both games in two different formats, All the multi missions and voice files, etc.

What I'd recomend is making sure you delete any .mve files you have in the directory or its subdirectories, as well as the files at these locations:
freespace2\FS2MVEcutscenepack.vp (NOT freespace2\FS2OGGcutscenepack.vp!)
freespace2\fsport\FS1MVEcutscenepack.vp (NOT freespace2\fsport\FS1OGGcutscenepack.vp!)

This will free up quite a bit of space, and you won't be losing any needed files.  :)

Also, any zip files left behind by the Installer can be safely deleted.

Some of us want it all updated :) I have a special folder I keep Freespace movies in that I find in various corners of the universe.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

If all you want is the retail version and you want the cutscenes, install without the cutscenes and then let me know and I can give you the links for the cutscenes, otherwise use tureys installer to install the cutscenes when your installing open.

Why not just manually copy the .MVEs from the CDs after?

EDIT: If you're using DAEMON Tools or similar to install off of image files, maybe your image file is corrupted.  If you still have the archive you downloaded the image in (if it was in archive format), run a test on it using your archive program (7-zip, WinZip, WinRAR...) to see if it's okay.  If it is, re-extract it (un-load the old one first!).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 02:59:55 am by jr2 »

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I've had it to work for the longest time now. :D

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
If the file got corrupted, that would certainly throw a wrench in the gears... sometimes that does happen.  Or maybe Windows itself is misbehaving, who knows..

So far theres no problems with the installer using vista basic, except it processes faster than I can download FS2 and slows down. Other than that I've had no problems yet with turey's installer.