Author Topic: Reasons why Shivans Rule  (Read 6711 times)

Offline TheVirtu

• Firedancer
    • http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Reasons why Shivans Rule
This is a topic where we can post reasons WHY we think Shivans are the ultimate race. It'll turn sick, but hey, this is the internet!

What if Shivans didn't exist?
1. The T-V War would have kept going on and on until someone gets annilhated by laser turrets and...and..some other "advanced" weapon they had back then.
2. Carl the Shivan would be named Carl the Terran
3. Well....we would still have the Galatea.
4. We wouldnt get the idea to develop beam cannons! (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO)
5. Freespace 1 would have been a boring war where you know your race will win.
6. The number of campaigns in existance would be reduced by 75%
7.  We wouldnt get the cool chance of watching Shivans incinerate Terran and Vasudans with big ships and weapons.
8. No Sobek?!?!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Why Shivans Rule
1. Who doesn't like bio-android spiders with advanced knowledge and a big weapon embedded in their bodies?
2. Their weapons will scare the hell out of you (Having the Ravana fire its main beams at you while you have your volume at full blast.)
3. Their weapons rule. Period.
4. The Sathanas. Period.
5. The Mara rules all other fighters.
6. They make search and destroy look good.
-Edited for a spelling mistake-

And remember...no one can hear you scream in subspace.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2002, 09:57:03 pm by 472 »
Project Leader of the Ascension of Beyond Campaign
"There was a time of peace, this time is over, peace will be paid for in blood."
Site Director of the Auto Assault Outpost- http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Site Director of the Darkspace Connection - http://www.3dap.com/darkspace
Former Webmaster of i82.co.uk - Shut Down 2/12/03
"If HLP wants your developing, they'll promote you to Senior Engineer, now shutup and focus!" - Shi
Think of the Coke machines! What did they ever do to you![/b]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: Reasons why Shivans Rule
Originally posted by TheVirtu

1. Who doesn't like bio-android spiders with advanced knowledge and a big weapon imbedded in their bodies?

I don't. :p

j/k
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Reasons why Shivans Rule
Forget the Sathanas. Think Lucifer. When I see the Lucifer I get this freaky feeling. I don't get it when there's a Sathanas.

I love the plasma cannons on their shouldiers!
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Reasons why Shivans Rule
Now, if the Lucifer had some more impressive weaponry... I would've been really scared :nod: - I played through FS2 before I could get FS (I played the first ten mission though)

BTW: Shivan blade things on the arms are awesome :D
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Reasons why Shivans Rule
Originally posted by Kamikaze

BTW: Shivan blade things on the arms are awesome :D

Shivan blad things on the arms... *hrmm....*

Methinks I just got another Shivan fighter idea. ;)
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Reasons why Shivans Rule
3. Their weapons rule. Period.

Well, I think that only applies to their beam cannons (excluding the SRed); their fighter lasers are pretty crappy and their missiles are just weaker versions of mainstream GTVA missiles. :p:D

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
Reasons why Shivans Rule
Originally posted by Mr. Vega
Forget the Sathanas. Think Lucifer. When I see the Lucifer I get this freaky feeling. I don't get it when there's a Sathanas.

I love the plasma cannons on their shouldiers!

Well it was a little more scary, because you had no hope..

Freespace 1 (Mission where you fly a dragon)
"oh my god, its the Lucifer!"

Freespace 2
"o look, another juggernaut, well our POS Colossus will blow it up"
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Reasons why Shivans Rule
Now, if the Lucifer had some more impressive weaponry... I would've been really scared :nod:

It's true... the SSL in FS1 was pants. :D
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Reaper

• Swarmer
    • http://www.winissimo.net/ww3/
Reasons why Shivans Rule
Originally posted by vadar_1

Well it was a little more scary, because you had no hope..

Freespace 1 (Mission where you fly a dragon)
"oh my god, its the Lucifer!"

Freespace 2

:lol: :lol: BTW when i was compliting freespace 1 for the first time (48 h of non stop playing :p ) i had creeps all over my body... And i liked it...
Freespace 2 was more impressive, but it didn't gave me those creepes i liked in freespace 1, so i found freespace 1 story better :p :doh:
There is full moon shining on the sky... It's midnight... I'm rising from my grave... I have my scythe and i'm thirsty for blood... I'm ready, i'm ready to steal souls and feed on them... I'm ready to kill
World War III: Wasteland Earth

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Re: Reasons why Shivans Rule
Originally posted by TheVirtu

What if Shivans didn't exist?
1. The T-V War would have kept going on and on until someone gets annilhated by laser turrets and...and..some other "advanced" weapon they had back then.

5. Freespace 1 would have been a boring war where you know your race will win.
6. The number of campaigns in existance would be reduced by 75%

Do I see a point, where I could pimp AP????

Hell yea!!!
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by vadar_1

Freespace 2

That was in the beginning. Late there was 40 juggernaughts, Capella explosion and Admiral Petrarch.

Scaarry.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
40? no, 80 :D
SCREW CANON!

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Just put BFReds on the Lucifer and it kicks ass again.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
Originally posted by Stunaep

and Admiral Petrarch.

Scaarry.

Hmmh, he never seemed very scary to me? :headz:
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
Hey, scariest part in FS2 is when I thought the shivans would take all the Bosch beer!

no seriously...
in FS2, I thought the part where the Sathanas jumped in for the first time in the nebula freaked me out... this huge arm coming out of the fog... me saying "holy ****".. and being knocked 10km with flaming exhaust and an explosion... very fun and scary =)

Offline Razor

Now, if the Lucifer had some more impressive weaponry... I would've been really scared :nod:

Oh you will be, you wil be scared to s***  when you (if you) play the campaign that I won't talk about right now! ;7

Offline Razor

It was about 11 PM when I played FS1 for the first time, I installed it and clicked on play and then when the part of FS1 intro where LT *** begun to call: MAYDAY, MAYDAY the light went out and it was totall darkness but I didn't bother too much cause I wanted to see the intro and wow it was really creapy!

I recommend you all to play Freespace games in totall darkness just the moniter screen light. :D

Offline Redfang

Originally posted by CP5670

Well, I think that only applies to their beam cannons (excluding the SRed); their fighter lasers are pretty crappy and their missiles are just weaker versions of mainstream GTVA missiles. :p:D

:nod:

Their anti-fighter beams aren't very good, either.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
pff.....Shivans

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Originally posted by CP5670

...their missiles are just weaker versions of mainstream GTVA missiles. :p:D

Correction. Their missiles ARE GTVA missiles. And, well...

It seems the Shivans were cool in FS1, from what I've seen of it (I still have yet to play the campaign, but I might as well have from an informational standpoint), but they crapped out in FS2- bacame, essentially, just another evil alien race. For some reason, 100 ships slightly more powerful than another ship just isn't all that impressive, while a single, mysterious ubership with technology that can knock out a planet while you're still using peashooters is great. Likely, even if there were no Colossus to make the Sath look like just another Shivan ship, having way too many of them would have ruined the effect. I mean, which were you actually closer to freaking in- the missions where the Ravanna suddenly pops out of nowhere, and starts blowing you to bits, or the missions where you spot half a dozen Sathani? And which one had numerically more power? Notice anything? Excess kills a good atmosphere.

But that's just the Sath and Lucy- hardly the only thing that made the Shivans cool in FS1 and pointedly not in FS2. Well, actually, that's about it- other than their rather mysterious nature in the first game (they're less aliens than insurmountable galactic forces at work, whil in FS2 they're quite mortal, explained away to a dissapointing degree, and, well, just more sociopathic aliens), and the plenitude of interesting cutscenes in FS1 lacking in FS2 (what can I say? FreeSpace works better asa half-movie). But overall, I'd tend to say the Shivans WERE cool. Ah well...