Author Topic: Reasons why Shivans Rule  (Read 6712 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Originally posted by Stryke 9

It seems the Shivans were cool in FS1, from what I've seen of it (I still have yet to play the campaign, but I might as well have from an informational standpoint),

:thepimp: Haven't smoked one of these in a while.

And yes, your message is sound! FS1 had everything better 'cept graphics. That's why I made the port. ;)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
Originally posted by aldo_14
pff.....Shivans

pff.... big shivan anal raping beams...

( first ) ( second )
( third - shown )

yes these are old pictures
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Anaz

Originally posted by vadar_1

pff.... big shivan anal raping beams...

HEY!!!!!

(oh...btw...you missed :p)
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline FSW

Shivans can be scary. Not fearful scary, but cool scary.
Like when you first see the Ravana. You only see the front part of it which is firing a million beams in your direction. First thought: RUN!

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by FSW
Shivans can be scary. Not fearful scary, but cool scary.
Like when you first see the Ravana. You only see the front part of it which is firing a million beams in your direction. First thought: RUN!

Repeat for SD lucifer and SJ Sathanas, and if you please, then the GTVA Poseidon...uuuh...Colossus.

Its old, but it weorks.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Redfang

Originally posted by Stunaep
SD lucifer

:ha:

Says the one who has only played FS2. Of course I know Lucifer was scary ship... but in FS2 it isn't. ;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2002, 09:55:53 am by 665 »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The Lucifer was indeed pretty neat to watch in the FS1 intro movie; it was huge compared to the Apollo and the Maticores chasing him. ;)

Their anti-fighter beams aren't very good, either.

You're right about that; the anti-fighter beams reload quite a bit faster, but they do only 5/14 of the damage per shot. :p

Correction. Their missiles ARE GTVA missiles. And, well...

Yes, but the Shivans tend to use the harpoon#weak and hornet#weak missiles quite a bit in the missions. :p Also, the Hornet is already outdated by FS2 time and has gone out of production long before; they used those only because they had a lot of them left over. ;)

Offline FSW

I think what made the Lucifer intimidating was the fact that after killing a big ship, it would jump out and leave you there, as if it was moving on and had more important things to worry about than a puny thing like you.
In Sathanas missions, a Sathanas appears and just stays there, waiting for you to run away from it.

Also the fact that the Lucifer was invincible and made it all the way to your home planet. :)

Offline Fr3z3r

• http://www.freespace.prv.pl
Yeah! Is there any kind of Shivan Reference? A summary of everything we know about them? Or maybe someone could post it?  :D

Offline Nuclear1

Yeah, the Lucy was pretty scary when I first saw it jump in and nail the Galatea. What would make it a WHOLE lot better would be BFReds at the main guns! :D

A Sathanas in a FS2 movie would cause people to crap their pants if it was done right....... :shaking: :eek: (here comes the... ahem.... Shivan "anal raping" beams......

The Colossus? Great against NTF, sucks against Shivans. You practrically do all the work when you have to destroy the big S. (wimpy captain :D)

Just bring the Psamtik behind the S, and watch Shivans die!

im done now............. :nervous: :doubt:
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by nuclear1
(here comes the... ahem.... Shivan "anal raping" beams......

Uhhh, captain? You know what you doing?
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline FSW

"Uh... captain... the Shivan Juggernaut is jumping in from Gamma Draconis."
"Yeah. So?"
"I suggest we get on the other side of the node so we can get the juggernaut from behind."
"Shut up and let me drink my coffee."

"Sir..."
"What is it now?"
"A juggernaut just jumped in from the Capella star. It is powering up its beam cannons."
"Then kill it."
"It's bigger than us, sir. I suggest we jump out. We have done all we can for the Bastion."
"Nonsense! A few more seconds in which we 'hold them off' will make all the difference."

BOOM

Offline Nuclear1

:lol: :lol:

The Poseidon.... errr, Colossus never really stood a chance against the Big S. If it weren't for the almighty Alpha One (:D), it would have been dead long ago........
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Reasons why Shivans Rule

The Poseidon.... errr, Colossus never really stood a chance against the Big S. If it weren't for the almighty Alpha One (:D), it would have been dead long ago........

Er, it has BFGreens (in 'High Noon', anyway). Without A1, it would be a real close fight.

The Colossus has most of its firepower on the sides, so if it had one side facing the Sathanas, it'll take and deal some considerable amount of damage, before finally getting to the Sathanas' side, at which point it wins. Alpha 1 didn't save the Colossus in 'High Noon'. Alpha 1 did, however, let the Colossus keep 100% hull.

The only reason the Colossus lost in 'Their Finest Hour' was that it didn't have BFGreens or engines, and it was down to ~40% hull. No jumping out, no taking out the Shivan juggernaut, and no surviving the blasts from said juggernaut. They had the Colossus using slashers for crying out f***ing loud. Of course it lost.

Another thing: If the Colossus were able to aim its beams well enough, it wouldn't need Alpha 1 at all, since it could simply take out the Sathanas' beams before wasting the rest of it. It certainly has enough firepower. However, if the Colossus were able to do this, surely the Sathanas could do the same to the Colossus.

Reasons why Shivans Rule
Despite its limitations, the collosus was the only ship with BF greens, which were a huge advantage.  The power of a BF green compaired was great to a normal B green, and even newer destroyers like a Hecate doesnt have many B greens.

The Collosus wouldnt have needed alpha 1 at all, if it had only positioned itself behind the sathanas in 'high noon'.  Poor tactics, not a poor ship.

pete

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Offline TheVirtu

• Firedancer
    • http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Reasons why Shivans Rule
This topic still exists!?!?
Project Leader of the Ascension of Beyond Campaign
"There was a time of peace, this time is over, peace will be paid for in blood."
Site Director of the Auto Assault Outpost- http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Site Director of the Darkspace Connection - http://www.3dap.com/darkspace
Former Webmaster of i82.co.uk - Shut Down 2/12/03
"If HLP wants your developing, they'll promote you to Senior Engineer, now shutup and focus!" - Shi
Think of the Coke machines! What did they ever do to you![/b]

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Reasons why Shivans Rule
:bump: :D:D

Anyways - I'm a Shivan, and we've got half the Galaxy under our.......something........

Don't mess!:D
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Reasons why Shivans Rule

The Poseidon.... errr, Colossus ...

Hey, dont slag Poseidons, i got destroyed by one not that long ago. :doh:
Damn its pesky HL-7 turrets.

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"

Reasons why Shivans Rule
I actually tried modifying 'Their Finest Hour' the other day. Replaced the Colossus' BGreens and TerSlashes with LRBGreens. The damn thing slaughtered the Beast almost instantly (in about 3 seconds), and barely won against the Sathanas (it had 2% hull). It was one hell of a fight, too.

In other words, had 'Their Finest Hour' been a fair fight (Colossus has all LRBGreens and 100% hull and engines), that juggernaut would have been smoldering debris.

"The Ravana is going down, but we've sustained critical damage..." Uh, you mean it sustained critical damage, don't you? :D :D :D

Reasons why Shivans Rule
Originally posted by _argv[-1]
I actually tried modifying 'Their Finest Hour' the other day. Replaced the Colossus' BGreens and TerSlashes with LRBGreens.  

Intresting, though didn't the origional collosus have BF greens, not LRBgreens?
If i could find the beam guide (think it's zylobanes) it tell u whether it made much difference.  

pete

"Go to red alert!"