Author Topic: Vasudan Society  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
I haven't seen a topic like this before yet, and since this forum is pretty much dead (as usual) I figured I might as well ask a question.
How do you see Vasudan society as a whole?  And when I say "society" I mean daily life, how their lives are structured. Do they have close-knit families like humans, or are they loners? Is there government more of a monarchy or oligarchy? Are they more "free" than humans?
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
They live under imperial rule. They drink milk and eats headz. They only seem to wear clothes during combat (armour and whatnot). They have a very strict code of conduct which is reflected by their complex language. They appear to be loners but very patriotic.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
If they were fierce loners then they would not likely have a spacefaring civilization.  As I see it from reading the Tech Database, Vasudan society while highly structured is likely not so restrictive as we imagine.  A race of philosphers and artists would value individual freedom greatly.  However they do seem to be at least a little more advanced than the Terrans however this might just be design philosphy rather than any inherent teechnial superiority, Terrans usually prefer their ships to be very utilitarian, with purpose over aesthetic, the Vasudans appear in great magnitude to be opposite, preferring aesthetic over purpose.  The Orion destroyer for example is very good at it job, however the Typhon, which has the same job, does it equally well and looks good while doing it.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
Something resembling a caste system, maybe?
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Some kind of family based system, where each generation follows a similar path as the one before it. Artist families breed artists an warrior families breed warriors.
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Regarding Vasudan government, I started a thread on that topic a long time ago but cannot find it now. Anyway, I doubt that Khonsu II functions as a real monarch; he is probably just either a figurehead or a parliamentary leader with a misleading title. A monarchy could not have stayed in power in a single nation for so many years without revolutions every few generations, much less for an entire race. (the FS bible says that when it comes to politics, Vasudans are similar to Terrans)

I think that the new administration was called the Imperium (with an Emperor for the head of state) only to distance itself from the notorious VPE, but it still functioned similarly and was built upon the foundation of that one. The "10000 year dynasty" thing is either grossly exaggerated, or more likely, has more of a symbolic meaning. (the "dynasty" could well be simply the Vasudan civilization as far as records go)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2002, 07:32:27 pm by 296 »

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
No, Vasuda ran under a Parliament (Vasudan Parliamentary Empire) then during the reconstruction, Khonsu united everyone under his leadership and regained his dynasty's power.

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by Alikchi
Something resembling a caste system, maybe?

Yes, I think that is said in the Tech Room. As far as the game goes, the Vasudans seem to be very patriotric, and not very fond of Terrans, which though understandable, is still there, compared to the Terran attitude towards Vasudans.

Am I making sense here???
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by CP5670
Regarding Vasudan government, I started a thread on that topic a long time ago but cannot find it now. Anyway, I doubt that Khonsu II functions as a real monarch; he is probably just either a figurehead or a parliamentary leader with a misleading title. A monarchy could not have stayed in power in a single nation for so many years without revolutions every few generations, much less for an entire race. (the FS bible says that when it comes to politics, Vasudans are similar to Terrans)

I think that the new administration was called the Imperium (with an Emperor for the head of state) only to distance itself from the notorious VPE, but it still functioned similarly and was built upon the foundation of that one. The "10000 year dynasty" thing is either grossly exaggerated, or more likely, has more of a symbolic meaning. (the "dynasty" could well be simply the Vasudan civilization as far as records go)

The Fs bible probably meant it in terms of political system.... and that was written pre FS2, anyway.  If the Vasudans are very caste conscious (agh!  spelling!), they would be more respectful of the emperor, and less likely to oppose him.  It would also explain him being a head of state - but not of government - during the democratic Fs1 era.  also Khonsu did a good job in all accounts, during the 30 year gap between the games.

Also, i think some human empires lasted 10000 years - the Chinese, I think.

theres only been about 6500 hundred years of recorded history so..... how

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It doesn't really say anywhere that Vasudans have anything like a caste system in their society. In fact, all implications point against it; Vasudans are already much less numerous than Terrans in the galaxy and such task delegation would prevent them from technologically advancing as rapidly as Terrans did by the FS2 period. It is quite probable that there was some sort of caste-type thing earlier in their history due to the higher emphasis on religion and general "order" (in our own history, segregation by birth has almost always been backed by some sort of religion), but this would have slowly faded away with time, just as it did with ourselves. Here's a clip from the FS bible:

Despite the physical differences between humans and Vasudans, their mentalities evolved very similarly.  They have strong family structures, and enjoy many similar social activities that Terrans do.

If their general mentalities are similar, the historical path they would have taken would be similar to our own, so we only need to look at our own history to predict what that of the Vasudans would be like. They happen to have a capable emperor with good intentions this time, but that of course will not always be the case. There is always the possibility that Khonsu's successor is some HOL-type fanatic and could turn the Imperium into a fascist regime; after many years with experience from such an adminstration (the VPE), the people would probably have had enough. The royal family obviously still remained in power (both FS1 and FS2), but since Khonsu II's precursor was probably more malevolent, the people would think twice before handing everything over to the emperor's son, even though he would probably denounce his father's actions to gain publicity.

If the Imperium is indeed a true monarchy, I don't expect it will last beyond a couple of generations, as our own history has shown, before either being toppled over by an ambitious fleet admiral or the lower classes themselves, instituting either a new dictatorship or a republic. (the dictatorships eventually collapse though; at some point the people usually revolt, either starting the chain of events again, or putting together a new type of government) Also, I doubt that the people have a complete disdain for a parliamentary government as the VPE was not a true parliament at all, but rather an oligarchy of sorts, as stated in the tech descriptions. The change of name was instated to further seperate the new government from the old one, bringing about a change for the better despite the name; a previously suffering society would adjust to the change quite easily.

I looked into the subject of Vasudan government quite a bit when I was formulating ideas for my campaign; I still have some of the notes. ;) :D

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I looked into the subject of Vasudan government quite a bit when I was formulating ideas for my campaign; I still have some of the notes. ;) :D

I'd be interested in those. Post 'em somewhere?
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
There is always the possibility that Khonsu's successor is some HOL-type fanatic and could turn the Imperium into a fascist regime; after many years with experience from such an adminstration (the VPE), the people would probably have had enough.

That's good stuff. I seem to remember someone doing a campaign involving the "Vasudan Hitler" and anti-Terranism and stuff like that. It sounded interesting.
Just a little tidbit about NTV (campaign I'm doing), wherein the NTF wins - you'll see Vasudan radicals, branches of the Vasudan half of the SOC breaking away and plaguing the NTF for years.
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!

There is always the possibility that Khonsu's successor is some HOL-type fanatic and could turn the Imperium into a fascist regime; after many years with experience from such an adminstration (the VPE), the people would probably have had enough. The royal family obviously still remained in power (both FS1 and FS2), but since Khonsu II's precursor was probably more malevolent, the people would think twice before handing everything over to the emperor's son, even though he would probably denounce his father's actions to gain publicity.

I think you're telling the story of Ten's Third Twilight campaign.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey