Author Topic: Shivan Alliance?!?  (Read 6410 times)

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
It would be if stopped to think about it.  What made the Luci so formidible?  That's easy the Shields.  Without the sheilds two wings of bombers and couple of Leviathans could wiped her.

Instead, a seemingly invulnerable warship forces the fledgling GTVA to desperately search for ways to destroy it.  They luck out, and find records from the race the Shivans killed to become top dog.  But, memories of the Lucifer, a Shielded warship, drove the GTVA to develop weapons powerful enough to penetrate the shields of the Lucifer.

I had another thought about the Shivans, what if they're a Cybernetic species, created by a so old so as to make the ancients seem recent, programmed to do one thing,"Defeat the Great Enemy, at any cost."  Such a command would make the Shivans, if they are learning machines, to become nearly unstoppable.  

This would also explain the seemingly limitless number of ships available.  Just imagine if the GTVA had AI sophisticated enough to not only direct the construction of warships, but pilot them as well(no not the Training Drones), even if the GTVA was destroyed, the AIs , if they were insinuated into the infrastructure, could go on as long as they had resources.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Sathanas? bah! Shivan trailer homes merely.  If you want to see a true state of the art Shivan craft, look at my Cacod****...said to much again....go see the Gargant, now thats a warship.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I sort of like the great enemy theory...perhaps the Shivans are at a standstill, after destroying the Ancients, and begin to search the areas where they inhabited. They send out the Lucy to scout out where the Ancients were, which ends up in Terran/Vasudan space. It decides to force both species to go into space, rather than live on planets to get them ready for fighting against the Great Enemy (more maneuverability). However, the Lucy is destroyed en route to Earth.
The whole point of the expedition and attack was to get the GTVA ready for the Great Enemy; after all, if the Shivans had just showed up and said "Here, have some shield tech. Oh, and have some beam cannons, too..." the GTVA would have just used them against each other. Instead, the Shivans give the GTVA something to fear and fight against.
Then Bosch makes ETAK and sends the Trinity into the node; the Trinity alerts the Shivans that the GTVA has found a way there; the Shivans, however, are now on the run from another species and retreat to GTVA space via the nebula, hoping to throw the Great Enemy off their trail.
It doesn't work.
In desparation, the Shivans begin to cause the Capella star to go nova, to catch the Great Enemy in the explosion. As the star goes nova, the bulk of the Shivan fleet jumps out, leaving behind a few vessels to keep the GTVA from making contact with the Great Enemy (hiding the GTVA from them) and to make sure Capella goes nova. Thus ends FS2 :nod:
-C

Offline Kabal

• Where's my Node?!
    • http://hometown.aol.com/kabal150/index.html
Good theory. I can't find a single thing wrong with it. But, I guess we will all find out if FS3 ever comes out.
Soon the kabal will rule...soon....everyone.....will....DIE!Kabal's House (Samples of my work)

Offline Nuclear1

Since we're on the Lucy/Sathanas topic, here's a little bit of info.

Lucifer-In Latin: "Light Giver". The Evil One, the Prince of Darkness, the Devil, whatever you want to call him.

Sathanas-If you break it down (Sathanas, Sathan), the end result is one word: Satan.

Seems the two biggies were both named after the Devil himself.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Reaper

• Swarmer
    • http://www.winissimo.net/ww3/
Originally posted by Unkown Target
Lol! Is that you in disguise, Infested_Larvae?:D
Anyways, yes, the Shivans are fighting someone else, but not who you think...
Wait and see...

No, it's not me... But it's what i wanted to do... exept that the great ones are ancients...
There is full moon shining on the sky... It's midnight... I'm rising from my grave... I have my scythe and i'm thirsty for blood... I'm ready, i'm ready to steal souls and feed on them... I'm ready to kill
World War III: Wasteland Earth

Offline Kabal

• Where's my Node?!
Originally posted by nuclear1
Since we're on the Lucy/Sathanas topic, here's a little bit of info.

Lucifer-In Latin: "Light Giver". The Evil One, the Prince of Darkness, the Devil, whatever you want to call him.

Sathanas-If you break it down (Sathanas, Sathan), the end result is one word: Satan.

Seems the two biggies were both named after the Devil himself.

Plus, in one african language (forgot name) Shiv is the goddess of evil or darkness. Shiv = Shivan
Soon the kabal will rule...soon....everyone.....will....DIE!Kabal's House (Samples of my work)

Offline Nuclear1

Originally posted by X-Files Addict

Plus, in one african language (forgot name) Shiv is the goddess of evil or darkness. Shiv = Shivan

Actually, in Hinduism, Shiva was the Destroyer, along with Vishnu (the Preserver), and someone else.... :D can't remember....
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Kabal

• Where's my Node?!

Actually, in Hinduism, Shiva was the Destroyer, along with Vishnu (the Preserver), and someone else.... :D can't remember....

Yeah well it is still the same. And there is actually the goddess Shiv, cause one of my friends used the name.

Offline EdrickV

• Valued
    • http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers
Originally posted by LtNarol
"they are the great destroyers, but they are also the great preservers"

Think park ranger and ecological maniac with other planets (the colonies) being the state parks. It seems to me, from what I remember of the monologues, that one of the big things about the Shivans is their knowledge of subspace. What is the biggest thing subspace allows the GTVA to do? Make colonies on other worlds. Now what, do you suppose, would have happened if some alien race set up a colony on Earth before we evolved? The GTVA might frown on killing off sentient species, but what about lower life forms? Life forms that, given time and a planet without any alien influences, might some day evolve into a sentient species. :)

It's just a little theory that popped into my head and I don't really have anything solid to support it, but you never know. It just might be what they were thinking about. :)

Anyone interested in trying to "get inside" an alien race's head might find the book Startide Rising by David Brin an interesting read. It's got some well described alien races who don't think anything like us. (And besides, it's by a Dave B... ;))
Ground - "Let me help you out, you're clear to taxi any way you can, to any runway you see."

Mesh Gallery/Downloads:
http://members.aol.com/ArisKalzar/Gallery.html
Turreting 101:
http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/Turreting.html

http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Since we're on the Lucy/Sathanas topic, here's a little bit of info. Lucifer-In Latin: "Light Giver". The Evil One, the Prince of Darkness, the Devil, whatever you want to call him.

Just "light bringer"
Luci=light, fer=bringer. However, IIRC, "Lucifer" was used in the Bible (in Latin, of course :p) and the meaning was slightly changed.
-C

Didn't Dave B once say that 'the shivans are just a symptom of ta bigger problem'

To me this adds strength to the robot/cyborg theory. Assuming there is a race which is very advanced fighting another race, perhaps to minimize their losses they create the shivans and give them a set of instructions which lead them to fight their great foe.

Now, I'm not saying that the Shivans aren't xenocidal, but it occurs to me that quite potentially rather then creating a new jump node with the Capella explosion they were rather collapsing all other nodes in the area, since we know that gravity seems to have an effect on subspace and a star is a significant mass to suddenly disappear.

Now, this act makes sense if the Shivans are in fact fighting a galactic 'good guy' and are trying to stop them from reaching us and being able to ally and strengthen us. The hell of the whole thing could be then that they believed they could still use all nodes to the GTVA systems if only the star went off, but combined with the meson destroyers they may have inadvertantly sealed them off completely by obliterating the jump nodes beyond even there use.

As such, they haven't won but they didn't lose either as the galactic 'good guys' will have a much more difficult time penetrating into our space to help us.