Author Topic: Yep, another Shivan thread  (Read 2522 times)

Yep, another Shivan thread
I have not completed FS2 yet, but I have a theory on the Shivans.  There is a very powerful race living in another galaxy.  They took the Milky Way from whatever species was in control of it before and created the Shivans to watch over the galaxy.  Their plan was to use the genetic data of growing species for their own purposes.  To do this, they had to install a policing force to prevent species from growing out of hand and obliterating other species before they had a chance to harvest the species' genetic data.

Here's what the Shivans would do: they would allow species to evolve until they were capable of subspace flight (which was taken as the pinnacle of evolution), and then eliminate them (so they would not destroy other species) and take their DNA.  Many species exist in the Milky Way, so the Shivans only send a small force to eliminate each one.  This is why the Lucifer fleet was kind of weak.

I'm sure there are many holes in this theory.  At least I'm not alone in that bit :).
"Vasudans and Shivans don't wear clothes coz they told the serpant to go expletive himself. :D" - an0n

:(:(:(

NotDefault

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
Hmm yes.... steal our Deoxyribonucleic Acid... maybe you better finish the campaign first.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Gah, you know what I mean :).  When I say DNA or genetic code, read "DNA, genetic code, or equivelant."
"Vasudans and Shivans don't wear clothes coz they told the serpant to go expletive himself. :D" - an0n

NotDefault

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
Thats what Deoxyribonucleic Acid is, its stores cell reproduction methods. "Genetic code"

After your finished the FS2 campaign, I suggest you take some Biology courses
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Originally posted by NotDefault
Gah, you know what I mean :).  When I say DNA or genetic code, read "DNA, genetic code, or equivelant."

Uhhh, DNA = DeoxyriboNucleic Acid (capital "N" added for emphasis).  That is our genetic material - and presumably (though not definitely) the genetic material of the other species as well.  I suppose there's no rule that all species have to have DNA, though.

--TurboNed
"It is the year 2000, but where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars! I don't see any flying cars. Why? Why? Why?" - [size=-2]Avery Brooks from an IBM commercial[/size]

Originally posted by vadar_1
Thats what Deoxyribonucleic Acid is, its stores cell reproduction methods. "Genetic code"

After your finished the FS2 campaign, I suggest you take some Biology courses

Ahhhh, vadar - you beat me to it.  I must've hit "Quote" whilst you were typing.  (-:

--TurboNed
"It is the year 2000, but where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars! I don't see any flying cars. Why? Why? Why?" - [size=-2]Avery Brooks from an IBM commercial[/size]

:confused:

Where in my posts did I say genetic code wasn't DNA?

DNA = genetic code, I agree!  I used them both to indicate the *same thing* in my posts.

I really don't understand why you're jumping on me.

NotDefault

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Hell, it's a silly theory but no worse than the shivans are great preservers one. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Originally posted by karajorma
Hell, it's a silly theory but no worse than the shivans are great preservers one. :)

That's what I figured.;)

NotDefault

Offline FSW

I am not sure about the DNA bit or the "created by someone else" bit but I do agree with the idea of an inter-system polie force type thing.

Originally posted by FSW
I am not sure about the DNA bit or the "created by someone else" bit but I do agree with the idea of an inter-system polie force type thing.

Erm, the inter-system police force is generally agreed on, I think.  However, no one can figure out why they are an inter-system police force.

NotDefault

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by NotDefault

Erm, the inter-system police force is generally agreed on, I think.  However, no one can figure out why they are an inter-system police force.

I wouldn`t agree with that. There are a lot of people who think they're just xenophobes (or even more likely berserkers).  Others amongst us believe that there is a shivan master plan but it has very little to do with humanity (we were just in the way)

I'd believe that much more than I believe that they are some sort cosmic police force. The facts don`t fit that explaination well enough.

During the first war the shivans concentrated on finding and then eliminating the homeworlds of both the humans and the shivans.

In the second war they virtually ignored the GTVA. Plus there's the whole capella business. What was that about? Doesn`t seem like any kind of police action to me.
 Usually the police arrest you they don`t demolish your house!
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
Shivans arrest people? :lol:
What are they going to do pull up in their Maras, wrestle you out of your cockpit at Maximpoint and start reading you your rights, then take you back to their Sathanas for imprisonment, trial, and incarceration?
Shivan cop: Bzzzzt bzzt bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt... (translation: you have the right to remain silent. You have the right to an attorney...)
;)
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Originally posted by Corsair
Shivans arrest people? :lol:
What are they going to do pull up in their Maras, wrestle you out of your cockpit at Maximpoint and start reading you your rights, then take you back to their Sathanas for imprisonment, trial, and incarceration?
Shivan cop: Bzzzzt bzzt bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt... (translation: you have the right to remain silent. You have the right to an attorney...)
;)
:lol:  i support the "Shivans with a masterplan and we were just in the way" theory because they simply didnt pursue us.  They could have easily obliterated our defenses and taken Epsilon Pegasi and Vega, from there they could have pushed deeper into GTVA space, eventually reaching Delta Serpentis and the rest of the GTVA worlds.  Even with Alpha one, theres not way the GTVA could have stopped 87 Sathani and countless destroyers.

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
Well, you never know. The GTVA could have figured out a way to mount BFGreens on an Ursa and let you fly the first prototype. Beams on all the laser mounts and the turret in the back. They'd also figure out a way to increase the maneuverability and speed of the Ursa so that you're not just a sitting duck while you BFGreen all the Sathani to death. :D
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by FSW
the "created by someone else" bit

Actually, that part is taken directly from the FS2 intelligence entry on the Shivans in the tech room.  Admittedly, it only represents what Terrans surmise about the Shivans based on their physiology, but in general I am inclined to think that :v: gave us the seeds of the truth in the intel.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Originally posted by Sesquipedalian
Actually, that part is taken directly from the FS2 intelligence entry on the Shivans in the tech room.  Admittedly, it only represents what Terrans surmise about the Shivans based on their physiology, but in general I am inclined to think that :v: gave us the seeds of the truth in the intel.

Yeah, the trick is figuring out why they were created.  They are referred to as "preservers" and similar things at various times, so I figured they were probably doing something along that line, but I had to make up a reason why.

NotDefault