Author Topic: Which choice is better?  (Read 5584 times)

Offline TheCelestialOne

• Man of Exceptional Taste
Which choice is better?
I've just begun to play the FS2 campaign (:D). And I have a choise in that campaign. The dangerous covert assignment or that tech testing squad.

Which is better?
"I also like to stomp my enemies, incite rebellions, start the occasional war, and spend lazy hours preening my battle aura."

~Supporter of the The Babylon Project~

Like Babylon 5? Like Star Trek? Like science fiction? Go HERE

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Which choice is better?
Take the covert mission, and once you're done them, you'll end up with the testing squad anyway. Time waits patiently for you.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline TheCelestialOne

Which choice is better?
:D
"I also like to stomp my enemies, incite rebellions, start the occasional war, and spend lazy hours preening my battle aura."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Which choice is better?
There's another loop later on and again the SOC missions are basically optional.

If you play the SOC missions the game does give you some extra ships to fly in later missions. Apart from that there isn`t any real difference if you don`t play them.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Redfang

Which choice is better?
Originally posted by karajorma
Apart from that there isn`t any real difference if you don`t play them.
:nod: But you have to play them. They're fun. ;)

Offline FSW

Which choice is better?
Dangerous mission? Who cares? I'm Alpha 1 and I have unlimited lives!
(Choose SOC mission)

Offline Redfang

Which choice is better?
Originally posted by FSW
I'm Alpha 1 and I have unlimited lives!

Unlimited lives? You can try that (fly in to some big beam). ;)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Which choice is better?
Originally posted by Redfang
:nod: But you have to play them. They're fun. ;)

Of course you do :) You`ll miss all of snipes dialogue otherwise. (I won`t repeat any cause of the spoiler factor!) . He probably gets the best lines in the entire game :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
Which choice is better?
And if you don't play them, you won't have access to the Ares or Artemis D.H. in the last few missions.
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline TheCelestialOne

Which choice is better?
Ok ,I will choose the SOC missions. But since i'm playing 3 games at once ,ST:BC (very good game BTW) ,B&W and FS2 it might take a while before I finish this campaign! :D And i'm not stopping with those games to play 1 game at a time. (Gets boring if I do!)

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
Which choice is better?
Originally posted by TheCelestialOne
Ok ,I will choose the SOC missions. But since i'm playing 3 games at once ,ST:BC (very good game BTW) ,B&W and FS2 it might take a while before I finish this campaign! :D And i'm not stopping with those games to play 1 game at a time. (Gets boring if I do!)

bah. I finished the campaign in 5 hours (strait). SOC Missions and all...
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
    • http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater
Which choice is better?
Besides, if the SOC missions are just too much for you, you can choose "exit loop" at any time.

Which choice is better?
you won't have access to the Ares or Artemis D.H. in the last few missions.

The D.H is basically a reskin of the standard Artemis despite what the tech description says, and the Ares is not all that good, I always prefer the Herc MkII for those last missions. But each to their own.
'Honour the valiant who fall beneath your sword, but pity the warrior who slays all his foes' - G'trok, in the poem lu geng

'Clarification is not to make oneself clear, it is to put oneself in the clear.' - Sir Humphrey Appleby

Why not visit the Time of Change website?

Or perhaps my own website - Telencephalon

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Which choice is better?
The Ares is one of my favorite fighters actually. ;) But as you said, to each his own. ;)

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Which choice is better?
Actually i thought the D.H. Artemis had better manuverability or something.

The Ares is one of the coolest ships in the Terran Fleet and i think its pretty good if u handle it right. It's alittle too slow for some missions, but it has a great payload and weapons, not to mention aromor.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline elorran

• Big Daddy Tap
  • Peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
Which choice is better?
The Artemis DH isn't any different from the normal artemis with the exception of its slight model alteration and textures.  It's stats are exactly the same.

The Ares one of the best fighters in game.  Equip it right and you own almost any other ship.  Personally I'm a sucker for the Kayser/Maxim combo.  Maxim is great if you can learn to aim it right, especially at long ranges.  A nice selection of what ever missiles are most effective at the time is also useful.  Trebs are good, but I still prefer my harpoons.

How about Hornets versus Tornadoes.  For the extra 300 metre range and half second less lock time are tornados worth the extra cargo space over the hornet swarmers?  I know some people still prefer hornets over tornadoes, but I'm curious as to see who.
Thats no moon... hes dropped his pants!

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Which choice is better?
Elloran: Actually, I think the DH is supposed to be a tad faster. But I never could be bothered to go check on what the table file said, so that might have gotten left out.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Which choice is better?
never liked the Artimes or the DH version, both are too limited payloadwise and neither is that great anyway.  The Ares on the other hand is great for those slug-it-out missions where you have a ton of decent sized targets.  I prefer the smaller faster ships, but if you handle the Ares like a bomber carewise, it can be very potent (hint: keep her rolling and dont stop firing).

Offline Vortex

Which choice is better?
Originally posted by elorran

How about Hornets versus Tornadoes.  For the extra 300 metre range and half second less lock time are tornados worth the extra cargo space over the hornet swarmers?  I know some people still prefer hornets over tornadoes, but I'm curious as to see who.

I think tornadoes win out easily, especially if you play multiplayer. Tornadoes are not only harder to dodge, but longer range, well worth the sacrifice of having less missiles.

Oh and I don't really about the DH bomber, but the Ares rocks if you arm it something to the effect of MS/Kayser + Trebs/Harpoons (for coop, in TvT exchange the Trebs for Rocks).
Proud member of the Combathawks and Silver Talon Wing
100th gany victim
143rd person to reach commodore (without cheating)
------------------------
SPAM!  SPAM! SPAM! Hit your post button pilot! hehehe... :drevil:
------------------------
"To have may be taken from you; to have had, never. Far better to have tasted love before dying than to die alone."

Vintar

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Which choice is better?
Definitely Tornados in my opinion; the Hornet is more persistent but is too slow to hit most of the faster fighters before it runs out of fuel.

When using the Ares, I tend to loadout with Maxim/Kayser/Tempest/Harpoon ; makes a good fighter-killing machine. :D