Author Topic: The reimergence of a legend....  (Read 13755 times)

Offline Redfang

The reimergence of a legend....
Originally posted by Stunaep

:D

:nod:

But Deimos... that's a scary ship. With almost no blind spots, it's pretty much a nightmare. :p

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Actually it seems to be somewhat easy to take down from the front in my experience; the Piranha sub-projectiles never go into that area for some reason (too far away maybe) and the only things that attack you there are two Terran Turrets. If you fire your bombs at engine03 (right between the turrets), the turrets almost always miss the bomb even on insane difficulty. :p

Offline Redfang

Originally posted by CP5670
Actually it seems to be somewhat easy to take down from the front in my experience; the Piranha sub-projectiles never go into that area for some reason (too far away maybe) and the only things that attack you there are two Terran Turrets. If you fire your bombs at engine03 (right between the turrets), the turrets almost always miss the bomb even on insane difficulty. :p

:doh: Forgot about the front. But it's bad when the Deimos is moving fast (30 m/s), and you're staying still (or if you're). Of course you could make bombing runs, but I prefer stopping so it's faster. :p

Offline Kabal

• Where's my Node?!
    • http://hometown.aol.com/kabal150/index.html
Only problem with attacking a Deimos in the front is that it will quickly run you over, and if you pull up or dive the fighter beams and fighter killer missiles will eat your @ss up. (Are we allowed to use profanity?)
Soon the kabal will rule...soon....everyone.....will....DIE!Kabal's House (Samples of my work)

Offline Nuclear1

safe= @$$
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by X-Files Addict
Only problem with attacking a Deimos in the front is that it will quickly run you over, and if you pull up or dive the fighter beams and fighter killer missiles will eat your @ss up. (Are we allowed to use profanity?)

Also, getting to its front takes, time, which in some SP and AFAIK in some MP missions, you don't have (Deimos jumps out, etc...)
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
any experienced bomber will tell you a deimos is not that tough of a target, you just have to know how to hit it.  As for the orion, i do believe it has a flak cannon or two on its underside somewhere, i remember being shot at by one.  Lasers, some of those capital ship lasers are far more powerful than maxims, you dont want to get hit by them.

Originally posted by LtNarol
any experienced bomber will tell you a deimos is not that tough of a target, you just have to know how to hit it.  As for the orion, i do believe it has a flak cannon or two on its underside somewhere, i remember being shot at by one.  Lasers, some of those capital ship lasers are far more powerful than maxims, you dont want to get hit by them.

Attacking a diemos has always been quite hard for me.  Corvetes are particullary nasty since they have all new weapons, are quite fast, and have a big ship tag so cant be taken out with normal guns.
'The kings gambit' ie the mission where you are at a blockade and the molijner beams are fist introduced is on of my fave missions, but the Diemos at the end almost always destroys me on 'hard' or above.  Since its going fast when it comes out of warp, you usually end up behind it, and they are well defended from behind.  If you arent shot down first, then the flack turrets will get you torpedeos :doh:  Ravana class destroyers are easier to attack.  Serisouly they are, very weak turrets.
Havent attacked a sobek or hecate, must try it one day.

Lasers? bah! :p Most of them dont even dent you sheilds, and the big ones move so slow an Ursa can outrun them.

pete

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Offline Kabal

• Where's my Node?!
    • http://hometown.aol.com/kabal150/index.html
How do you dent shields?

Hecate is easy, since it is so big it doesn't have enough turrets to prevent blind spots.
Soon the kabal will rule...soon....everyone.....will....DIE!Kabal's House (Samples of my work)

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
hecates have lots of turrets, ever try completely disarming that thing? took me a good 5 minutes last time i tried...they're just in bad places and all cover a few areas.  The key is dodging its heavy flak, which you can do by cork screwing.  With the corvettes, you approach from in front, if you end up behind a Deimos, you're in trouble but not doomed.  Pull up and hit your burnersm try to get out of the firing arc of the aaaf on its back end, then hit its engine shell from above, launch bombs or torps at 400 meters, pick a forward turret, match speed, lock, fire, and repeat.  with the ravanas, go for a face shot, theres no defense there whatsoever.  on molochs, go for its centerline where its skiniest, blast the flak turrets in that area off with maxims if you can, lock, and bomb away.

Offline Vortex

I can't imagine anyone having trouble bombing an Orion, unless you somehow are stupid enough to get caught with the anti-fighter beams. Hecate is tougher, since it's beams and flak guns are better placed. Still, like the deimos, attacking it from the front will do the job. In the end, if you have either a maxim or trebs, there is no trouble, (maxim preferably since trebs can run out).
Proud member of the Combathawks and Silver Talon Wing
100th gany victim
143rd person to reach commodore (without cheating)
------------------------
SPAM!  SPAM! SPAM! Hit your post button pilot! hehehe... :drevil:
------------------------
"To have may be taken from you; to have had, never. Far better to have tasted love before dying than to die alone."

Vintar

Offline Stunaep

hecates have lots of turrets, ever try completely disarming that thing? took me a good 5 minutes last time i tried...they're just in bad places and all cover a few areas.  The key is dodging its heavy flak, which you can do by cork screwing.  With the corvettes, you approach from in front, if you end up behind a Deimos, you're in trouble but not doomed.  Pull up and hit your burnersm try to get out of the firing arc of the aaaf on its back end, then hit its engine shell from above, launch bombs or torps at 400 meters, pick a forward turret, match speed, lock, fire, and repeat.  with the ravanas, go for a face shot, theres no defense there whatsoever.  on molochs, go for its centerline where its skiniest, blast the flak turrets in that area off with maxims if you can, lock, and bomb away.

tell me something I don't know :p . Anyway, the Deimos still has the fighterkillers, which IMO are the biggest annoyance, since you can get out of the range of the  Deimos' AAA, dodge the flak, but the fighterkiller can do significant amount of damage, if you do not pay attention to shields. Which is, why Sobeks are easier to attack - you just knock out the near-engine AAA, there's two of those, then get behind (or more like south-west) of it, and fire away.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
maxims dont have the huge tag, so you cant kill anything larger than a cruiser with it.  Trebs just take forever to kill capital ships, unless you're talking about hunting down transports or freighters.

Offline Stunaep

maxims dont have the huge tag, so you cant kill anything larger than a cruiser with it.  Trebs just take forever to kill capital ships, unless you're talking about hunting down transports or freighters.

You can knock out AAA at a fair range with, them, that's good enough for me.

Originally posted by X-Files Addict
How do you dent shields?

You hit them with something harder.

Personally i preffer trebs to maxims for taking out bombers, since they have better range and dont need to be aimed, but for turrets the maxim is the best weapon.

Fighter killers are anoyying, but flack turrets really get on my nerves, especially long range ones, grrr.

pete

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Offline Redfang

hecates have lots of turrets, ever try completely disarming that thing?

They have lots of turrets, but they're far away from each other. Of course it takes time to disarm it, because of lots of turrets, and they're spread, so it takes time to get from other to other.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
There are two good approaches for the Hecate; either get right in the front, where it can't really hit you with anything at all, or go near the two pillars (comm and nav subsystems) in the rear and bomb it there. If you choose the latter approach though, you will need to take down at least the two rear main flak cannons. The rearmost flak turret is much weaker than the others due to a bug in the default tables. (they have that turret too weak and one of the other small turrets somewhere on the ship too strong)