Author Topic: 20050722 build  (Read 18142 times)

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
If the problem wasn't happening to both fentis and leviathon, i'd say its a model load problem, but it looks to just be a texture problem...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

I'm pretty sure I had done that already.  It fixed the Hippocrates, but nothing else.

And Hippo, the only textures in the directories that it's looking in are the ones from retail FS2.

It crashed when I tried to view the Leviathan this time.

And yes, my drivers are up-to-date.
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
If you aren't using any mods or MediaVPs then I don't think this question will matter much:  what bit depth are you running the game at (16 or 32)?  This really does look like a texture problem to me too, but I don't care to guess what at this point.  Of course without all of the MediaVPs the Fenris and Leviathan use the same model so an index buffer problem could cause it.

And regarding supposed IBX problems, there is now a -noibx cmdline option to quickly test if a problem is related to IBX data or not.  It's also under the troubleshooting options, "Don't use cached index buffers (IBX)", if you want to point-and-click-it.  The option prevents reading or writing of saved index buffers and forces it to always regenerate.  Actually it makes it skip all IBX code so it will behave just like before IBX came along.  This way, if you are having a problem, you can test what would happen with new index buffer data without having to delete all of your current IBX files.  If it doesn't help the problem then you'll know it's not an IBX problem but something related to the game code or the model itself.

Okay, I'll try that next time.

I'm running at 32 bit, if that matters.  And I reiterate: this is only happening in OGL, not D3D.

I also yanked the .vps and exported their files into FS2/data then ran the debug build attached to this release.  There were no IBXs in the directory when I started, IIRC.

The Fenris and Leviathan were fine.  But the Hippocrates was screwy again and I've got the log for you.  Hold on a second...

http://www.geocities.com/avalon7us/screen0014.png
http://www.geocities.com/avalon7us/fs.log

EDIT: *runs with -noibx*

Well, that didn't work.  I didn't think about it before, but the Hecate's also screwy.

New log and shot of the Hecate:
Hecate shot, note wing connections New log

I'm thinking this is either code-related or something on my system's screwy.  By the way, if I forgot to mention it, I'm getting similar errors from Goob's 7/15 build.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 09:27:51 pm by 1668 »
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
Also, I didn't Mantis the following bug, since I haven't done enough testing to narrow down the offending build, but in your latest at least, movies are once again broken.  I tested this both with and withoug the new command line about not rendering videos to the window or something.

I'll test a bit more.

Well, after further testing, I can confirm my suspicions, that this bug too is present in Goob's 07-15 build.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
That might just be OGL acting up MS... I've seen odder things...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Well, after further testing, I can confirm my suspicions, that this bug too is present in Goob's 07-15 build.

Did they work in my builds?  And this happens in D3D and OGL or just one of them?

Offline redmenace

found a couple of issues with non standard resolutions. First, in briefings clicking right on the Icon doesn't bring up the render window.

Also there seems to be a 1 pixel shift in buttons when you move the mouse over it.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Mav

Added some additional info in my above post. I'll try D3D next time.

Nonstandard resolutions (1280x1024) mostly work fine with 0719 (not yet gotten to test 0722).
I also used -shipchoice3d (or how it's spelled) the first time and the weapon selection looked really great.:yes: Would it be possible to make separate cmdlines for ship- and weapon-selection using this? (because I still like the ss_anis for shipselection - even made one myself awhile ago :D )

Tested FRED 0715 a bit and came up with some error - it somehow doesn't seem to like the hipoly Herc (mv_bobb.vp) and Fenris/Leviathan.

I just wanted to slightly modify the Gauntlets, the Shivan and Vasudan ones worked alright but upon loading the Terran one FRED crashed complaining about some things with fighter06 (Herc)  and cruiser01-something (Fenris/Leviathan). :(
Also when I placed a Herc in an initially blank mission, it did place it, but without showing the model (showing only the shortname and, IF I turned "show models" of [initially I had it set to "on"], it additionally displayed the usual placeholder point).

[edit: Any ideas about my crash-on-exit I mentioned above?]
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 02:40:45 pm by 1266 »
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Your errors regarding the Herc1, is the fact that Bob gave it 5 LODS+debris instead of the usual 4 LODS+debris.  If you edit your tables and add another distance incriment, this error will go away.  As for the Fenris/Leviathan, I'd need more details as to what the error said.  For viewing of the Herc1, you need the command line -jpgtga added to your FRED shortcut.  While you're at it, you may want to add -fredhtl (if you haven't already).  It's by no means perfect, you may get harmless warnings about capped normals, and ship models will get rendered out of position from their actual points (and this error will change depending on its position on the screen), but you should get fewer crashes with it.  Furthermore, you may want to add -glow and possibly -spec command lines as well.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
I don't know if it's from me or not, but, i can't play Fs 2 with this build.
The game crashes during the loading sequence. Sometime, it crashes at the end, sometime in the beginning.

If i launch Fs2 with the 18.03.2005's build Fs 2 work perfectly but i prefer to have the latest build.

So, i ask you a question how to install correctly Fs 2 with the Fs2 Open ?

If that correct if i proceed the installation like that ??

- Install Freespace 2
- Install the 1.20 patch
- Install Fs2 Open 3.6.5 installer
- Put the latest Media VP (3.6.6) in the Freespace 2 folder
- Install the latest build (the 20050722 build)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Originally posted by Col. Fishguts
The text get's diplayed, no talking head and no sound is played. Sometimes it happens with all messages, sometimes it seems random. That's pretty weird actually...

The no-voice-bug might have somehting to do with the "-snd_preload" flag. I unchecked it, and for now the bug seems to be gone.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I got two major gripes with this build:

1. ships/wings departing trough fighterbays doesn't work properly anymore.  i have a mision where a wing arives, talks a bit and depats trough a fighterbay on a nearby destroyer. worked perfectly on a older build.
but on the newer one the fighter warp out immediately, they don't go for the fighterbay alltough it's sert so in FRED (tripplechecked)

2. Whie squares sometimes appearing in D3D...mostly when warping is done..sometimes weapon effects.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Well, here are my two cents...

I hot a crash in Renegade Ressurgence when i fire my primaries on a ship. I see my desktop everytime. Works fine with original 3.6.5-build. In other mods sometimes some white squares on textures from weapons, engines etc...

The rest works fine. What is the function "smart-shields" for?
Planet-Fiction.de - your Resource for SciFi-Games!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I've had the intro cutscene reduced to a small field in the upper-left corner of the screen, along with accompanying monitor flashing that I'm assuming is some sort of changing resolution, whenever I run this build.  If no one's put it in Mantis yet, I'll do it later.

Offline Mav

Your errors regarding the Herc1, is the fact that Bob gave it 5 LODS+debris instead of the usual 4 LODS+debris.  If you edit your tables and add another distance incriment, this error will go away.  As for the Fenris/Leviathan, I'd need more details as to what the error said.  For viewing of the Herc1, you need the command line -jpgtga added to your FRED shortcut.  While you're at it, you may want to add -fredhtl (if you haven't already).  It's by no means perfect, you may get harmless warnings about capped normals, and ship models will get rendered out of position from their actual points (and this error will change depending on its position on the screen), but you should get fewer crashes with it.  Furthermore, you may want to add -glow and possibly -spec command lines as well.

Later!

Interesting, thanks. Seems like the launcher should start supporting fred, too. :p  Any chance for that? ;)
Oh, and I thought fred should use HTL by standard now?:confused:

About my prior posted bugs:

-Switching to this build didn't help much.:(
-Switching to OGL solved the white squares issue, the splash screen mis-sizing and the late smoothing of the interface that someone mentioned earlier.
-Sadly, the main bugs are still there - I get a crash everytime I played a mission and exit FS (it apparently doesn't like me to leave :lol: ); and the new engine graphics are missing (on Terran ships mainly, on Shivan ones they're alright and I didn't test Vasudans yet).
-About the nonstandard resolutions - the debriefing / scores etc. seem to still be a little misaligned with this build (not a major problem though).

So, I'll try some other builds next time (20050728, Phreaks' May22, whatnot...) and hope I find a working one.

I'll also use commandline parameters for fred next time... :rolleyes:
[edit: I'll also try to copy the error messages the next time I get some.]
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I'd just like to state that this is the most stable build I've used on this PC EVER.  Taylor should remember the system-specific lockup bug I had for ages; it's gone.  I can play missions for as long as I want without worrying about a CTD.  Plus, the "next arrow not working" bug is gone too, which I didn't even notice until a few missions in.  It looks great, it runs great (better than retail here) and other than a few lingering non-standard resolution things I've got to give it a big :yes:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 01:42:02 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Mav

:yes: :yes: :D  I got rid of the crashing finally!!

I don't know which one has been the cause, but after I

1) used the 0728 build
2) moved mv_music.vp out of my FS folder
3) moved the zpack outta it, too
4) used -noibx

FS didn't crash! :D :D  :D

Ok, maybe I have a corrupt zpack version, because I moved it back in and got the crash again, moved it back out and didn't get a crash after that.

Btw, I'm still getting the white squares instead of effects, but less often. The new engine graphics work on the Shivan and Vasudan ships alike, as well as on the Terran support ship (Hygeia), but Zeus, Erinyes and Ursa don't work (their engine graphics, I mean). Didn't test more Terran ships yet.

Oh, and the Fred error with the Fenris supposedly was me missing the cruiser01x.pof - I just DLed the newest mv_models.vp and hope that'll fix it.

No feedback on the debriefing misalignment in 1280x1024, as I used 1024x768 for being careful. Will test 1280x1024 soon. :)
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
See if it works without using -noibx.

Offline Mav

-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics