Author Topic: Best Game Soundtrack  (Read 19613 times)

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
I got it from Amazon.

It's awesome stuff. :yes:
Don't suppose you could upload a track or two to gives us an idea of how "awesome" it is?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 12:30:50 am by Bobboau »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
It was crap if you had no decent MIDI synthesizer. Square included the Yamaha software XG on the disc, though, which made it sound awesome on a crappy card. Perhaps this was your problem?

If this computer doesn't have a good MIDI sythensizer I'd be very surprised. And since the soundtrack of course doesn't feature that, being on a CD...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
In order by composer
Dan Wentz - Volition
Frank Klepacki - Petroglyph (Formerly Westwood)
Eric Brosius - Irrational

Final Fantasy IV, VI, VII, Chrono Trigger for RPG's.

And before you go knockin the X-FI Soundfont banks, you should try loading up some old Terra Nova midis and run them through the Microsoft GM standard synth, then run it through the X-FI synth, you'll notice a pleasing difference.  Not near the AWE of course, but the X-FI cards IMO have better soundfont banks than the old Live cards.  Also, if you're able to, run an old game like that with a new card, (not gonna get into telling you how though..) and select Gen Midi instead of your OPL2/3.  Much better.

Offline Cyker

Ewww... no, seriously, find a copy of the Utopia or Chaos sound font banks, the larger versions the better - They blow the crappy sound font banks that come with the Live, Audigy and X-Fi out of the water! :D
The default AWE-32 SFbank isn't very good quality but it is incredibly well balanced.
The Live! comes with 2, 4 and 8MB sound font banks and they ALL suck (They boosted instrument sample-rate but not quality... stupid stupid stupid!)
I am not sure what the X-Fi comes with, but it sounds like the 4 or 8 MB SF bank to me... (Sounds good for some types of MIDI, but absolutely awful on others)

But yeah, I totally agree that the software synth in Windows sucks donkey poop...

And if we're talking composers, I wanna add the three LEC guys Clint Bajakian, Michael Land and Peter McConnell. Better than John Williams! :D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 02:47:04 am by Cyker »

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Good call Bobboau, and thanks for uploading! *downloads* You don't happen to have any of the original Japanese versions, do you? I've always been curious as to how those are since everyone raves how much better they are than the American versions.. *shrugs*
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I've heard bits of them, I don't know if I have them though, from what I remember, the music in the past tends to be the Japaneese version it's the preasent and future versions that were changed, some of them are about the same, but I didn't like them much better personaly, I do remember it was a ***** finding them though.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Spartan feels stupid:

spartan went onto bestbuy.com, and they have BOTH YAY, BOTH the Original Halo Soundtrack, and Halo 2 vol 2.!!!!!!!

YAY!

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I've heard bits of them, I don't know if I have them though, from what I remember, the music in the past tends to be the Japaneese version it's the preasent and future versions that were changed, some of them are about the same, but I didn't like them much better personaly, I do remember it was a ***** finding them though.

I see. Some reviewers gave the Japanese version of the game a 100% rating, but the english like a 65% simply because of the music or something. This is with the Sonic Gems Collection.. I don't remember if the original Sonic CD for the Sega CD I played ages ago had the music you uploaded or the Japanese. Well, thanks anyway and thanks again for what you did put up!  :nod:
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the big diference between them is the japanese version is more whimsical and dance beat, the US version is more serious and darker, I like the darker feel.
the europe version used the japanese  version music, it's only the US version that had the diferent music.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
hey, what do you know, I found it.
http://www.sonicstrike.net/users/sonicroms/music/index.htm
/*edit*/
aparently that site doesn't like loading directly to the page, try this
http://www.sonicstrike.net/users/sonicroms/
then use the link bar at the top to go to music.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 08:19:49 pm by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
MW4 Vengance had some decent tracks.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Deus Ex music was pants, Total Annihilation All the Way..............Plus Goldeneye :nervous:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
It's always annoyed me I've never been able to obtain the correct tracks for Aztec or Frigate. The Aztec track on the soundtrack is apparently the multiplayer one...Frigate isn't even on there...

But Surface 1 and Surface 2 ftw.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
It's always annoyed me I've never been able to obtain the correct tracks for Aztec or Frigate. The Aztec track on the soundtrack is apparently the multiplayer one...Frigate isn't even on there...

But Surface 1 and Surface 2 ftw.
This might have what you're looking for.

Offline Cyker

Deus Ex music was pants, Total Annihilation All the Way..............Plus Goldeneye :nervous:

Damn... I can't even remember the TA tracks!

Deus Ex had a couple of good tracks - The Hong Kong theme and the UNATCO theme, but that was it :(
And their attempt at dynamic music was pretty bad too... should have been a lot better since they were using MOD music files!!

Half Life and System Shock 2 had absolutely awful music. System Shock 1 music was cool 'tho - The initial theme still gives me the chills :P

Darwinia has some nice music. Very mellow.

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace

Damn... I can't even remember the TA tracks!

Deus Ex had a couple of good tracks - The Hong Kong theme and the UNATCO theme, but that was it :(
And their attempt at dynamic music was pretty bad too... should have been a lot better since they were using MOD music files!!

Half Life and System Shock 2 had absolutely awful music. System Shock 1 music was cool 'tho - The initial theme still gives me the chills :P

Darwinia has some nice music. Very mellow.

The only track in Half-Life that stood out to me was the song that played after you donned the HEV suit. That was a pretty *****in' song.

Oh I remember another one... TFX.  First time I felt like I was really flying a plane.

Also I'd LOVE to get Jane's ATF running on XP. (notsure if i have the cd anymore LOL) nothing like flying a b-2, f-117, f-22, a eurofighter, X-29, and X-31
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
I like Brosius's work on old-fashioned MIDI music, though I actually liked SS2's ambient side.  The techy-rock stuff sounded kinda generic, and his work keeps getting more unremarkable as time goes on.  His music in SWAT4 is simply... there.. nothing really exciting about it.

There was music in HL1?  :nervous:  ;)

Alexander Brandon (Deus Ex 1 & IW) did a good job in DX1.  I didnt like his music in IW though. Didn't have the same effect.  I've never played a game that used .MOD technology for it's music, and indeed should have been better in the dynamic department.

Also in the same vein, whoever did the music for Anachronox did a pretty good job as well. 

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
The tune backing the I-War one intro, Orchestral stuff as ships ex-plode is always a good thing..........
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png