Author Topic: TVWar Intro cutscene  (Read 7732 times)

Offline Solatar

Okay, I was just wondering. I have a great idea for a cutscene for the beginning of the TVWar. We can get V to convert it to MVE, name it Intro, and put it in the fs2 directory.

Here's the script.

#########################################

Music builds up, one color, green background. Says:

A MOD for a game by Volition;
Created by the TVWar staff;

Camera pulls away and the green stuff turns out to be a briefing icon. You see it moving towards an icon of a wing of friendly fighters. Pulls further back;

General is briefing his men in the briefing room of the GTD Galatea;

"Alright men; a Vasudan cruiser is headed our way very fast. Considering the tension and anger that took place at yesterday's peace summit, we believe the vasudans are attacking because we insulted them. Everybody get to your fighters!"

During this time the camera moves in on the General and when he syas "get to your fighters" the camera is right at his face.

Music starts getting action packed and the camera cuts to the hanger. A message int he corner of the screen says: Hanger of GTD Galatea. Antares.

You see one Angel class fighter lift off and leave the hanger.

Cuts to the outside of the Orion, the Vasudans are just getting within strike range. You see a few wings of GTF Angels comeing out of the hanger and they start attacking Vasudan fighters and an Aten class cruiser. Bombers are scrambled and they destroy the Aten.

The Terrans imerge victorious and the camera cuts to the last Vasudan fighter's explosion. The explosion disipates and the words Freespace2: The Terran Vasudan Conflict. appear. Then  it ends.

#########################################

Any comments? I know it sounds like a lot, but it would be really cool. I'm not asking anybody to do it, but it would be nice if somebody wanted to talk with me about it. This would really make the TVWar project an experience to remember. The cutscene would be optional, and only people with really fast internet connections or a lot of patience would be able to get it.

Any comments? *Braces for impact* *Heard flaming isn't fun*

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
RandomTiger made a source code change that allows you to play divX files(and anything else pretty much) as an into (if you have the codec already).

This really isn't much, just would take a bit of tricky manuevering...
The whole general thing in a briefing room is ... well, I doubt you'll get anyone to do that.

Offline Solatar

Yeah, I know nobody will want to do it. But sometimes if you just throw your ideas out there for no good reason then sometimes people like them. The TVWar project got started when I was just saying it would be cool, can it be done? I don't know, maybe somebody will want to do it.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Make the commanding officer's speech last longer - like giving details of enemy movements that might also aid the incoming cruiser, or the specifics of what went wrong in the peace talks (maybe make a joke). :)
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Solatar

The longer it is, the bigger thje filesize. The longer it is, the longer it is, and long cutscenes take much longer. Plus, the main attraction of the cutscene will be the fighting, whcih is the first battle in the Terran Vasudan War.

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
I know what would be horrible!
"We are under attack. Get to your fighters!"
"Sir, they have a 'No Fly Zone' class anti-fighter dreadnought that can be taken out with a well place capital beam."
"I said GET TO YOUR FIHGTERS!!!"

Longer speach makes me :yes:  short speach makes me "Well THIS MOD aint any good! They can't even be bothered to flesh out the INTRO[/b]!!

Anyway.. Seen this done in many intros, a longish speach thats not really important being brilliant because of the way they did it.
Dor example: Building up the volume, the tenstion and his guestures in his speach until the 'final word' when it cuts to the action.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2002, 08:12:33 pm by 307 »
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Solatar

Its supposed to be like this:

Its the end of a briefing, which is inaudible, once the music dies down, you can hear "That is all!!! Get to your ships!" from the general. The music then changes into a sort of pre-battle march theme as you see men marching to their ships with an air of determination. While they are walking to their ships, a voice comes on, much like the ancients scenes in fs1 "When we got into those ships that day, we knew we would defeat the Vasudans in a few short months. We had the power, the strength, and the will. But most of all, we had the technology. Little did we know that that day was the first day of 14 years of Hell, after which another year, worse, would ensue."
Lead pilot waves his hand signaling to launch, and many cheers erupt. Cutscene fades as the last few ships exit the hangerbay.

How's that? As for your saying, well this MOD won't be any good without a nice intro, how many MODS have you played with an intro cutscene? I haven't played one.:D Not to be difficult. If we do have one, and its a crappy excuse for one, then people will think that our MOD sucks and we are just trying to do everything half-ass to make people like it. I agree with this, if that's what you meant.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
My question...why would the Galatea be in the opening shots of the T-V war....I expect a much older destroyer class was still in use and that the Orions were brought online to "pulverize" the Vasudan threat.  The Orion's were supposed to be the biggest and best in the fleet by the end of the T-V War.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

I am working on some stuff for fun only so I understand the difficulties you're having.

As for the briefing room I was thinking of getting some friends together and making a "blue screen room" maybe using blue tarps? then we can get into costume and say our lines following a script and then later take that footage and use it somehow like the movies do? Sure it might look fake as hell, but how many people out there are in their own sci-fi video???

I think cut scenes like that can be used to move the action along or bring into focus critical events that mere fighting alone cannot.

Especially for character development...

For a test I will be doing the Getter robo G transformation sequence using FS2 fighters to warp together like they are joining (may trial runs but with waypoints and skewed camera angles I got it to work ok.) Now I just need to blend in teh anime of the sequence in final stages and after lightning sheen covers robot cut back to action with robot (proxy) warping in close to that spot... Getting that on tape and then going back and adding appropriate vocals and music I should get a fairly decent result...

That's the sorta thing I am trying to do and think will enhance my tweaked project...
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Alright then, here's another idea:

The cutscene on the Galatea begins with a camera shot OUTSIDE the breifing room (here's a chance to make up some good internal shots of big G ;)) and the commander's voice (is it Wolf?) can be heard saying "And after the Vasudan delegation left our convoy of delegates was fired upon by three of the Vasudans' newest fighters, designated Anubis. Command is still trying to re-establish talks but things don't look very hopeful. Right now, the PVC Khu is heading our way and...." the camera has panned around to see the commanding officer standing infront of a node-map. As he gets to the words "our way and..." there is a crash, flash of lights and sparks and smoke and sirens wail... *cut to outside to see Vasudans attacking* And then carry on as your original depicted.

Just a suggestion.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Solatar

Just a suggestion hmm..?? Well that is one of the best I've heard. I'll take it!!!!:D

Wide shot  - outside the Big G (you can hear the engines as it moves)

Zoom in slowly right as the vocals start to one of the comman bridge windows (pick one)

make that window video window increasing in size till it's full screen (cause you are zooming into the ship's briefing room.

Continue with Vyper's post...

? I dunno if that can be done but it would be cool as hell!

(hey Carl do you have any Shivan costumes for Holloween I can use for my video? Or can you send me some home movie footage?) :wink:
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Solatar

The only problem with that is I want to keep with Volition's guidelines, the main one being that the intro cutscene both begin with you seeing a flowing blury stuff, then as the music builds, you find out what it is. How about this:

You see some blue blury stuff moving around as the music builds. "A MOD for Freespace2" "Created by Hades" Then you see that the bluish stuff is the GTD Galatea's engines. The camera zooms out and you see a picture of the GTD Galatea in space. You here an officer's voice saying "Alright pilots. I'm going to go over this one more time. The Vasudans have launched an Aten class cruiser and a wing of the new PVF Anubis class at the Galatea. Once you are launched, you are to clear out the Anubis' so our Apollyon bombers can get through." Camera cuts to a sideways/frontal view of the outside of the hanger. A few GTF Angels come out of the hanger and one of them says "Alright Alpha, let's kick some butt!!!"

An Aten class cruiser and three Anubis exit subspace and the Angels break to attack. A short, but furious dogfight ensues, and then a single bomber (The same kind from the fs1 intro) exits the hanger. A transmission comes from the bomber "This is Lt. Ash, flying Gamma One, Command said you needed a bomber."

Lt. Ash then dodges some turret fire from the Aten, and fires a volley of large rockets. This starts the Aten having electrical shocks running through it, then a blast from the Galatea finishes it off as Lt. Ash escapes. He flys away, and off the screen, then the Aten explodes. Everything turns black and the words "Descent Freespace" And in small letters beneath it "The Terran Vasudan War".

After the Aten is destroyed the last thing in the scene is Lt. Ash saying, "dang I'm good. I tell you, none of these Vasudans can kill me. God, or the devil, is gonna have to do better than that it one of them wants me dead.

I think it would be better if the Angel said "Ok Alpha, let's show these "Vasudans" who their messing with!!!!"

And some battle chatter would be good to like in the Cutceen where the Bastion gos boom!

Eddit: this would make a great addon pack for FS2
The Ancients a old and proud reace, one that is not all alone, and I am not one of them, but I am Nouben.

Offline Solatar

Yeah, great idea.

As for the addon pack. Well, I'm doing this stuff in the style of Silent Threat. I might make the whole thing compatible with fs2, but that would be hard considering the massive table sizes. A few of my friends have fs2, and I'm gonna give them this on a CD. You guys will just have to download the thing.

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
Ok, seeing how i'm actually on the team, I'll give my two cents :p

Firstly, IMHO the intro to the TV War Project should, well, the intro to the TV WAR!!  Many of the same ideas could used, but withe some changes, so here is Thor's version of the intro (made up on the spot.)

Fade to colour.  speech begins
Mankind has often wondered if we are alone.  From the time we first gazed at the heavens, walked on the moon to colonizing the planets of our solar system, no anwser was forthright.  Then we discovered subspace.  Travelling farther and faster than anyone before, we stretched out across entire systems of planets.  And on everyone we found life.  But the most important discovery was yet to come.....

Fade to newsfootage type video, grainy and b/w.  It is showing the unfortunate first contact with the vasudans, the event that led to the T-V War

It was soon after the (insert name of unification conflict) and mankind was finally ready for peace.  It was the day we found out that we are not alone.  We called them aliens, and the little green men from Mars in laughter, but that changed soon enough.  One misunderstanding has lead us to war.  ANd we are going to have to stop it.

Pulls out from a video screen.  General/Admiral is standing beside it.

This is it boys and girls, our finest hour.  Today we mark the start of a new chapter in Terran history, the first time we met something that was not our own, and overcame it.  You know what to do, so man your fighters, and show those bastards what Terrans are made of!  FOR THE ALLIANCE! Response by pilots, loud proud cheering  FOR THE ALLIANCE!!!

Ap pilot climbs into his fighter, an early model (maybe Apollo A) it rises and shoots over the top of the camera.  cut to exterior of a unmarred Orion, proudly barring the name GTD Orion, the first her kind, with the fighters pouring out of her hangar.  The camera pulls back to reveal the fleet.  Just then several Atens and a Vasudan carrier jump out of subspace and fire a few shots.  cuts to black.  the title Fades in, and then is followed by the opening credits (short).  then ends

How did that sound?  I think it would be slightly better continuity wise if we did that then if we did what Hades originally suggested (no offence buddy).  Comments:
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by IceFire
My question...why would the Galatea be in the opening shots of the T-V war....I expect a much older destroyer class was still in use and that the Orions were brought online to "pulverize" the Vasudan threat.  The Orion's were supposed to be the biggest and best in the fleet by the end of the T-V War.

well that's common sense.
"looks at the forum" mmh, not that common.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
Well, the timeline we've been using written by Esh, states that the Orion is the only destroyer the Terrans have ever built, and was introduced at the start of the T-V War.  Before that, there where battlecruisers and carriers, and both where much smaller than the Orion, yet bigger than a cruiser.  So if we wanted to, it could be one of those two classes, but the Orion is the star of the Terran fleet (think Colossus in FS2 intro), so it makes sense.  But no way should it be the Galatea, or the Bastion for that matter.
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Ummm, all of these ideas have potential, but you might want to think about actually getting someone to do this, and seeing what's really possible. I know we're getting a movie done for TI, and it's taking Flipside (Our movie man) ages to do it, and that's without poser or any other high poly models, just low poly FS2...and he's not using any voices, just music and SFX. These ideas you all have, very cool in theory, but in practice...Do you have any idea what kind of a machine you'd need to render that many pilots? or, for that matter, that many movements of a single pilot climbing into his cockpit? This is high end stuff you're suggesting, you may want to think about that.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Solatar

Actually, I was thinking about doing this thing .ani style, then converting it to .avi. I have no idea how to make movies other than just build them frame by frame. How exactly is this done?