Author Topic: T-V War Missions  (Read 3689 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but I'd like to bring it to the forefront.  How do we want to organize the missions of the Terran-Vasudan War Project?

I suggest releasing several campaigns - not necessarily all at once - as chapters of the T-V War.  Obviously, it would be difficult to make one giant campaign covering the whole time period.  Each of the campaigns could cover a single time period, or perhaps a major battle.  You would not necessarily play as the same character throughout the war.  The campaigns wouldn't have to be very long - 10 to 15 missions each would be ideal.

This way, potential players will not be held up waiting for the whole thing to be released.  Chapters will be released as they are completed.

Another advantage is that this will allow interested parties to join without the fear of committing to a huge complicated project.  If we like someone's work, we could invite them to create a campaign around a battle that interests them.  This is happening to some extent already: I'm doing Operation Midway/Battle of Talnia, Hades and Thor are doing the Unification War, and Eishtmo has reserved the Battle of Ribos (although it remains to be seen if he'll actually FRED it :)).

Any thoughts?

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
I couldn't FRED my way out of a paper bag.  Though getting that one going is much closer to reality now than it was a little while ago.

The idea, I believe, is that the mod will be built first and openly released along with at least one version of the 14 Year War timeline and then people will be free to do with it as they will.  As far as I'm concerned, we're just filling the holes left by Volition, creating a quasi-canon chunk of the universe.

The next major project, the interwar years, 2335-2362.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
One major project at a time! :lol:

Offline Solatar

Version one of the MOD is already released. We are now updating to version two. The Unification War will be in Version two, the Vega Engagement in version three, Talnia and a few pre-Unification War things I'm working on will appear in version four; Eishtmo's No War, No Peace, will be in version five, and Operation Thresher will be in version six.

The time between fs1 and fs2 I really wanted to do later. But somebody else may already be doing it by then.

I would do the stuff after fs2, but there are so many of those it isn't funny.

Also, I will have a campaign in version three that will feature the GTD Phoenicia.

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
Are we going to release the individual campaigns in order that they appear on the timeline? Or as they get completed?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Meh, as they get completed.  No sense making people wait longer than they have to.

Offline Solatar

Well, we're doing them in a sense of order. UW is first, then MAYBE we'll do the start of the TVWar. After that, Vega Engagement. Then Talnia, then NWNP, then Operation Thresher.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I say definitely do the start of the T-V war.  Some "conversation" got messed up and the Ts and the Vs started shooting the heck out of each other.  Eishtmo's page has at least one fanfic with a decent idea on how it got started.  The link isn't working, so I can't be specific, but it might be cool to search around in there and see what you can find.

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
You could handle that in the last missions of the demo.  And that's what it is a demo.

We should keep the project seperated so that the mod and the campaigns aren't directly interconnected.  that way we can release what is done, without waiting for it's massive campaign to be finished.  kind of like the Babylon project.
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That might be tricky to pull off.  The UWar ends, and then a little while later first contact with the Vasudans occurs.  How do we transition between the two?  The end of a war seems like a natural place to end a campaign.

I found Eishtmo's site:
http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/

This was what I was referring to:
http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/conv.html
It's an interesting idea, at any rate.