Author Topic: Ross128 nebulas?  (Read 6390 times)

Hi I have converted a FS mission that would be good to test things out out for the mod, but I need to know what the Ross128 backround should look like? Was there a mission in that system in FS1 or Slilent Threat?:confused:
The Ancients a old and proud reace, one that is not all alone, and I am not one of them, but I am Nouben.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Look in the FS1 intro. :) There was a yellowish nebula.

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
In Silent Threat, two or three missions before the end there's that mission where you return to Ross 128 to see GTI and the Shivans fighting. FS1 nebula backgrounds aren't really much to go on though.

Offline Solatar

Where in Ross 128 is this taking place? And yes, I think there was a yellowish nebula. As innacurate as the cutscenes are, for fs1, they are sometimes our best reference.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
What a great cutscene that was.

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
Is it just me, or does Riviera have more little spires and things sticking out of it?
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Yes, it does. That's the Ross 128 'Deflector Array' used for testing MX-50s, possibly other weapons as well.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
heh... watch as it deflects the lucifer's flux cannon back at it. Sucks for the shivans.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Yes, it does. That's the Ross 128 'Deflector Array' used for testing MX-50s, possibly other weapons as well.

:confused:
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
FS1 tech description:

GTM MX-50

Suitable for all space battles - defensive and offensive - medium payload (16.5 Kt) - infrared tracking and semi-intelligent targeting - pilot chooses desired target, and the MX-50 tracks the chosen target based off the emission of heat from the - engine, the weapon bays, and the cockpit of the target ship - the MX-50 will always attack a target that is determined to be hostile by the onboard computer of any GTA combat vessel, thus ensuring a higher kill rate, should the pilot find himself in a heated battle situation where precise aiming might be difficult.

Early experiments with energy based defenses like the deflector array at Ross 128 have shown that this weapon is exceedingly weak against anything besides steel based targets.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
ah.. so the Terrans were developing sheild tech before the shivans.. (course this is old news)

Steel? you'd think they'd have some new alloy for spacecraft by then.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Originally posted by Knight Templar
ah.. so the Terrans were developing sheild tech before the shivans.. (course this is old news)

Steel? you'd think they'd have some new alloy for spacecraft by then.

steel is just a generic name for a mixture of iron and carbon, with other elements thrown in.

Offline Solatar

Just wondering, anybody want to make the modified Aracadia? We don't need it, but if somebody wants to, we'll take it.

Is it just me, or in that cutscene, could the stars around Riviera not stand still?

Originally posted by Hades
Just wondering, anybody want to make the modified Aracadia? We don't need it, but if somebody wants to, we'll take it.

I'll whant one to I mean it looks cool and not too hard to do if you can model things, I think the prob is how to get it to bounce a beam back(thinks.....) no you can just make one extra turret and make a bounce beam like gun the would kick ass!

Dose FS2 have yellow nebulas?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2002, 07:12:04 pm by 194 »
The Ancients a old and proud reace, one that is not all alone, and I am not one of them, but I am Nouben.

Offline Solatar

Ummm. The Deflector Array didn't work on the Lucifer beam. Otherwise it wouldn't have been massacred.

But it might be a little hard to do actually. You would have to get a shield mesh aroun the thing.

Originally posted by Hades
Ummm. The Deflector Array didn't work on the Lucifer beam. Otherwise it wouldn't have been massacred.

But it might be a little hard to do actually. You would have to get a shield mesh aroun the thing.

No need just set it to be invinceable, in FRED then all you got to do is make the cool pillers on the model then presto! you have it!;)

Offline Solatar

Well, I can import the shield from another model. But can somebody do the pillar?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor

No  it's not!  It's just indeterminate spiky things as determined by GTA military convention.

NB SG - I don't remeber any yellow nebs in FS2 - but I think the the FS1 nebulas were set with RGB (or were they..?), so a yellow nebula was possible there......  there's very little by way of nebulas in that cutscene, anyway - literally only the yellow bit in the screenshot.

Offline Solatar

Might have been something else. I know when you see Lt. Ash, there is a yellow thing behind him, but that is the flames coming out of his damaged engine.

God, I wish fs2 rendered damaged ships like that.