Author Topic: Recruiting for the t/v war. We want YOU  (Read 47332 times)

Offline Solatar

Recruiting for the t/v war. We want YOU
About superweapons. We can vote on it later. I like democracy. Anyways, I kind of want to have some new models and stuff. I mean, they can't have used Angels, Apollos, and ML-16s for the whole war.

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
Well, it said in the story that there was a leo.  But it doesn't matter, we still need one.  Superweapons will be disscussed later.  How is the upload problem going Hades?
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Thor

Okay, I was looking at Peg's concept site, and there are some interesting ships that we should seriously consider.  Also, I really want to know what to call this darn project.  And what could I put up on the website, so we have cool things to show off.  And who should I credit as staff other than the big three (Thats myself, Esh and Hades,).  And Hades, get a real ISP, not AOL.  It doesn't even have to be High speed, just something that ain't AOL.

Offline Thor

Alright, here is what you do Hades.  take everything out of the.vp and send it in pieces to me, along with a list of what i should end up with.  Then I'll put it back into a .vp and then we can release.

I am also getting one of my new weapons altered so that it can be used to replace the AAA beams.

Now someone talk to me, or I'll think I'm crazy.;)

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
Of course we'll have more, different fighters in the campaign, that's a given.  But a superweapon, in pre-Shivan FS?  That's just silly.  I wrote the story so that the entire thing could be done with old tech, no beams, no multigigaton bombs, no superweapons.  Adding them could and would laugh in the face of Freespace canon.

If you want a vote, take mine down as nay now, because I won't change it.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Enough with the beams already!

Look, we need to approach this as if you were given FS2 and had to come up with FS1. You would strip off the beams, flak, and shields, right? OK, now take another step backwards, so we have really crude space combat that develops into what we see in the beginning of FS1. Perhaps having no bomber turrets, then having them developed and then you're given the Medusa as an uber-bomber? Or inventing aspect seeking missiles, or afterburners, or countermeasures. Take everything you take for granted in FS1 and strip them down.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
The GTC Damocles, a T-V war era cruiser.

Model originally by Dark, rebuilt by looking at a single render by me.

WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Solatar

Nice ship!!

Your right. This is now a dictatorship. No superweapons. Also, we shouldn't just give them stones and sticks to throw at each other, but I think it should be basically machine gun based. That's why we need some ammunition limited primaries from teh source code guys.

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
With a little scuffing up of the skin, it would make a decent Leo.  Then that class would have a real name instead of my placeholder.

Additional:  We can make ammoed primaries now, I think.  Just drop the reactor power of the models down to zero.  Of course, then that model can't use energy weapons.  That's why I put a destinction between pre-energy weapon fighters and the rest.

You did get that extra long bit with the timeline Hades?  I thought I had someone send that to you.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2002, 07:41:07 pm by 295 »

---------

Offline Solatar

That would work, but we'd have to have two of each ship, say a GTF Apollo, and a GTF Apollo#Ammo, or something like that. Also, the player wouldn't be able to rearm, but that might add a different element. You have no shields, no beams, no flak, but if you aren't accurate, you run out of bullets.

Offline Solatar

That Damacles, I like it. But is anybody willing to texture it like a Fenris. That would give us some cinsistancy. or maybe skin it like an Orion.

Offline Thor

Okay, thats why I made the Beam replacement weapons.  It won't conflict with FS1 and it will speed up cap battles.  

Personally, I think we shouldn't have to deal with the source code.  We won't need it.  I'm sure there is something we can do on the limeted ammo primaries without it.  I'll ask around.  

Don't bother reskining The Damocles guys.  It looks good and different enough to be considered old.  IT'll just add more to what we have to do.

What should I add to the web site?

Offline Solatar

One thing I'm trying to do is make the engine glows on missiles larger. This makes missiles look like most video games. I would prefer a reskin of the Damacles, but I think its okay as it is. Thor's right, it would add more to the to-do list. But if anybody not working on the project is bored, and does a reskin, you will be properly credited.

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
I think you can rearm no reactor models.  They'll recharge the primary bar, I believe.  As well as the afterburner bar.

For fighter development, earlier models of the Apollo couldn't use energy weapons at all, and the later models (the modern Apollo) couldn't use ammoed weapons at all.  That way you pick the version you want and you don't have to worry about any special coding to switch which model it is (or slide an extra into each slot).  You could pick either the older, slower, Apollo C or the fancy new Apollo D.  Some fighters (like the Athena) were never designed to carry ammoed primaries.  With the exception of the Apollo, the rest of the fighters could either be designated ammoed or energy, never both.

---------

Offline Thor

So Hades, will I ever get to use a copy of the MOD?;)   Try my suggestion and send it over, and I'll add in a few things, like my weapons.  Then I'll put it up on the site, and we'll be ready to do the Vega Engagement.  It won't really require many new ships I don't think.  

Also Shrike, is there an ingame version of the Damocles yet, or does it still only exist as a model?

I for one don't really want four or five Apollo variations.  two maybe, but five is overkill.  I'd rather see some ship designs that we havn't seen or used before.  I not sure you'll agree, but only being able to fly Apollo's would get a little dull.  Variety is so much better.  But thats just my opinion.  In anycase, we don't need to worry about that yet.  Lets put together a list of what we need to make the Vega Engagement.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities

this is a ship from  this site i found in a google. unfortunatly the boreas is the only d/l there. it's pretty cool tho.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Originally posted by Thor
Also Shrike, is there an ingame version of the Damocles yet, or does it still only exist as a model?
Only exists as a MAX file because the idea of converting it to FS got dropped before I finished it.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Thor

Can you finish it Shrike, or would you like us to find someone to do it?

I really like that other ship, I'm going to try and get a copy, what ever it takes.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Vasudan Admiral

this is a ship from  this site i found in a google. unfortunatly the boreas is the only d/l there. it's pretty cool tho.

That is, actually, pretty damn nice :nod:.  Although his Orion Mk.II looks pretty much like a straight mirror of the :V: model with a big gun bolted on the front.

EDIT:  Although it looks like that model may be a bit high poly - the machinery detail looks, er, 'busy'.  although, the Fenris hull is a pretty simple thing............ so I dunno.

EDIT2:  Soddit, that is very nice work.  And the Orion 2 looks a lot more detailed and original than my first impressions.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2002, 09:27:26 am by 181 »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Shrike
The GTC Damocles, a T-V war era cruiser.

Model originally by Dark, rebuilt by looking at a single render by me.

I think Ace has that model, actually... he asked me to finsih the skin for it (I said no, cos I loathe skinning in all honesty.  and I'm, very busy.)