Author Topic: Black Prophecy closed beta  (Read 7029 times)

Black Prophecy closed beta
I got in on a closed beta for Black Prophecy, for those of you that dont know, it is a space flight sim MMO

It is a beautiful looking game, and somewhat innovative in rearguards to visual effects, you can see your own shield flare and it varies in color based on the weapon you are hit with. I still vastly prefer FSO, mostly because there is an element to spaced based MMOs that I dont enjoy.... flying aimlessly through space, trying to collect items, and finding quests missions, and the lack of PVP and friendly fire against other players
Fat people are harder to kidnap :ha:

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Re: Black Prophecy closed beta
Wait so, this is already out in Europe? The site has two downloads available -- A game client, and a "U.S beta client".

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Open beta hit today, apparently.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

I thought it was still closed beta? I got the email last week that said I got in, but I didnt start playing til early this morning. It lacks the death black ships coming out of nowhere killing everybody, desperation, and compelling story of freespace, but it is pretty, and wont know if I disrespect it. Not to mention the graphics 75-99% of my computers resources. Also, there are a lot of uses of words like "newbies", "uber", and the ever generic "frac", apparently military space pilots in the future use game lingo and l33t speak to communicate. 
I was going to post some screen caps, but all my print screens show up black, anybody know of any solutions?

Offline Hades

I dunno, I just got my closed beta invite on March 31. Anyway I'm in-game now, still in prologue. I'm Sfyri in-game.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Jeryko

Jeryko in game
JBX-Phoenix

I have not yet been allowed into the closed beta. :(
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

If any of you buggers are actually european, I've been on there as QuantumDelta for a while, I so verrrrrrry rarely play, had to recreate my toon today after hades poked me about Jeryko :P
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
MMO?

Nah, thanks, I'll pass dispite enticing visuals.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Jeryko

It's Free to Play if that makes any difference. And as far as I know, the cash shop won't offer things that would severely affect balance.
JBX-Phoenix

From what I've heard, it will be more like Freelancer than Eve Online.  That means it will be worth a try for me.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

It is definitely worth a try, and it is nothing like EVE, you actually fly your fighter and fire your own guns.
Also, my call sign is Sammich, and before you ask, I'm not affiliated with sammich.com, I was just hungry when I started the game....

F11 does screen shots, but I dont know where they go. I also started having really bad lag after the prolog

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
It is definitely worth a try, and it is nothing like EVE, you actually fly your fighter and fire your own guns.

As I've repeatedly stated, that's because the ability to maneuver in EVE would bring no benefit within the established game mechanics. If you want to point out a difference, go for the mechanics that make the difference possible, rather than the superficial manifestations thereof. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

You made it sound worse.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

As I've repeatedly stated, that's because the ability to maneuver in EVE would bring no benefit within the established game mechanics. If you want to point out a difference, go for the mechanics that make the difference possible, rather than the superficial manifestations thereof. :P

I can fly, like woooosh!, and move on all axis ;7, shoot space guns, pew pew pew :mad2:. rock launcher wooooooshhhh BANG! :mad2: AHHH!!! :confused: what was I talking about?

That is the basic enjoyment factor I get out of it. I was never really good at eve, so I am biased by the fact that in all the years (3 on and off) I played I maybe had 10 PVP kills, and only popped one pod.

You made it sound worse.
I really (really really really really) should not be your only source of information on this subject, as I have eccentric tastes in games

EDIT: LOL

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You made it sound worse.

What? EVE? BlackP? I don't really care either way.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Jeryko in game
I dunno, I just got my closed beta invite on March 31. Anyway I'm in-game now, still in prologue. I'm Sfyri in-game.
You guys are both Tyi... :( 

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, so I couldn't do the first Tyi mission where you intercept the ships.  i rerolled genide and have had no problems.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
I'm also flying on the English European release server (nick Gortef... duh). Well... I'm there time to times anyway.

So far my impression is so-so. Of course, there are not that much space-combat-online games around so I dunno. I used to play Jumpgate and I can't help but compare other games to that.

Anyway... I got the feeling that it tries to be both Freelancer and EVE at the same time, but does not really reach either and butt-lands in the middle.

The actual gameplay when flying is almost just like Freelancer, simple and more or less attractive. Controls respond quite well, but not perfectly IMHO.
Also it has a direct support for x52 for example but damn that thing was übersensitive. So Mouse-Keyboard for me... still @£$@£€

On the other hand the menus and other gidwids are more to EVEs direction where ya actually have to click around a lot in order to do someting -LIKE LOOT the wrecks for cryin' out loud (I miss the automatic tractor beams Freelancer had/has). After an hour or two the menus become more familiar, and ya can see how to operate them but I'm still not that impressed. Perhaps I need even more time, I can see the potential when in station but when in space operating the interface takes a bit too much time... especially when there are loads of buggers shooting at ya.

One thing that REALLY bothered me when I found about it. The space is actually divided into restricted sectors, the player can move to another sector only by jumping. Ya can't just take yer time and fly, if ya try to do that an invisible wall comes into the way and the system tells ya to go back (and it actually bumps you back to the direction ya came from). Then again I haven't actually tried to do this after I got finished the introduction campaing so it might just have been during the introduction. I need to confirm this.

Oh yea the Introduction. Otherwise nice but there's this Nimbus sector which lags enourmously.

The story is actually quite amusing (yea it has a story). There are quite a lot of noticeable shortcuts in it (I dunno if ya could claim them to be plot holes... more like unexplained things that could have been explained on that point), but amusing nevertheless.

Welp, that's my thoughts. I can recommend that people try it though. It's free!
Habeeb it...

Offline Hades

You guys are both Tyi... :(
I got a Genide I mostly play with now by the name of Siopi, since I prefer the look of Genide ships.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL