Author Topic: BioShock Demo now on LIVE  (Read 18187 times)

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
Re: BioShock Demo now on LIVE
I haven't pre-ordered a game since X-Wing Alliance!  I wait till its well reviewed, or i just go buy it based on what I've read before (usually only the so called Triple A Titles).  I don't get burned to often, most notably recently was STALKER, which while a good game just doesn't suit my game style.  Bioshock really interests me, as i like System Shock 2, but also scares me cause i never finished SS2, and i really want to play the demo and see how it plays.
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

BioShock up on STEAM for pre-purchase and download Also, PC demo to hit Friday

And a really cool little bonus here. They released an art book free to download. There is some very interesting things in it, so be sure to give it a read. Too bad they couldn't get this into the collectors edition...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 01:28:27 pm by Dough with Fish »
tianjun1298 > Your this only the fine insect which escapes from the condom

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
I predict this will game will raise hell on earth in the media, with all the killing children stuff.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
100% on MetaCritic
99.6% on GameRankings

New GOTG (game of the generation) confirmed.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
NOOOOO!!! STOP IT!!! I want to play it, but my computer wont let me!!! NOOO!!! *cries lots :( :( :(

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Buy a 360 or upgrade your computer. You MUST play this game.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Meh...SS2 was great and scary...but the setting of Bioshock doesn't spark my interest...retro underwater city...meh
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Wha? Best game setting in a long, long time IMHO.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The setting seems a bit wacky and unrealistic to me too, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's something different, and I like that.

So is the PC demo supposed to be coming today? It should be fun to try out, although I hope it's not loaded with Securom or other such stuff.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Wha? Best game setting in a long, long time IMHO.

I'ts somewhat different..it's new...but that doens't automaticly mean it's the beast...or that it's great.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
FYI, the PC demo for this out. It was supposed to be a Fileplanet exclusive, but I'm guessing it's mirrored on other sites and torrents by now.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Wow.

All I can say is wow.

Just purchased it off of steam, starting the preload.

The demo is just... wow.

Take System Shock 2, put it in a speeding train on fire about ready to run off a bridge and that's Bioshock's level of awesome.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Told ya.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Is it required to have Steam to play it?
Because I won't play it if I have to go through Steam.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Having downloaded and installed the PC demo...

...very nice ambiance... that's graphics, scenery, sounds etc. The game engine runs like a dream.

That said, I found the layout of it all a little... how to put it... linear. It smacked of "get scared to go into a room, go into the room, deal with the threat, get scared to go into the next room, go into the next room" etc. etc. Also, sometimes there just seemed to be a bit too much going on.

I might be being cynical about it. It looks incredibly impressive and the plasmids are a neat addition (though they could be called magic or space suit addons or anything else in another game - they are at least well implemented). I'm excited but with aged cynicism!

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
1.8GB for the demo when I saw it right. Well I know complete games that are smaller. How long is the demo? Is it worth the dl time?
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The demo was great. The artwork, sound effects and general atmosphere are outstanding. I especially love the weapon effects; the wrench really feels and sounds like something heavy and powerful. :yes: The amount of small detail in the levels is top notch. I spent a fair amount of time just examining the areas more closely before I moved on. This is also the first game I have played in over two years that actually seems to be well optimized and runs nicely. I was able to get a more or less constant 60fps, with a few minor exceptions, at 1024x768 with all the details turned up on my old X1900XTX.

That being said, it certainly doesn't strike me as the "OMG BEST GAME EVAR MADE!!1" that a lot of the review sites are saying. I'll definitely be buying this, but a number of aspects of the game leave something to be desired. In general, it has quite obviously been dumbed down for consoles. The levels are pretty linear and have minimal interactivity. I was hoping you could at least pick up objects. The graphics are rather inconsistent, with magnificent water and displacement mapping effects mixed with various low poly models and some textures that look like they're from the Quake 2 era. The gameplay is a little odd, as health is essentially infinite due to the respawning while ammo is difficult to come by (like SS2, but it doesn't really make sense). At least in the demo, I didn't see any evidence of the complex statistics and inventory systems that SS2 had, or the story detail and reading material of Deus Ex either.

Finally, it uses the Havok physics engine, and sure enough, I ran into a vibrating corpse at one point. :D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 12:56:21 pm by CP5670 »

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Steam=Steaming POS

It claimed that the game was 100% preloaded, then after "decrypting" it turns out it's only 80% downloaded?

So I have to wait hours with a slow connection on an unstable server for the game to download fully?
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Yep, we had a thread about this recently. The main thing I took away from the discussion is that Steam is the future, so the future is retarded. :p

Anyways, I played the first few minutes of the demo (just got out of the bathysphere) and I'm already hooked. That little fly by (swim by?) intro was far more cinematic than many so-called 'cinematic' games get nowadays.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
BTW - for those complaining about linearity, the game opens up a whole lot more after the intro/tutorial, though to advance through the story it still is primarily linear.