Author Topic: Forum game: Rules/Discussion  (Read 164865 times)

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Re: Forum game: Rules/Discussion
I'm happy to send the 1st SF in to investigate if need be, though it's probably not a wondrous idea.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Lorric

I'm happy to send the 1st SF in to investigate if need be, though it's probably not a wondrous idea.
I guess you could Resupply then enter the system and me and Jellyfish could Resupply and Defend (just in case) and be waiting to see what happens.

You'd think you'd have the option to send a wing of scout fighters to check it out and scan it instead of risking the whole fleet though. Only a fool would blunder in with the entire fleet.

I am of the opinion we should check it out. If it's not a trap, it could cost us to leave it there.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Into the void, then. It occurs to me that this could be a lure to get one of our fleets on its own as easy pickings, but we'll see.

Offline Lorric

Into the void, then. It occurs to me that this could be a lure to get one of our fleets on its own as easy pickings, but we'll see.
We could have Jellyfish stay behind and I come with you if you like. Maybe that's the better option. No need to send in all three, but you wouldn't be going in alone.

EDIT: Or alternatively, a big middle finger to the Zy and we all go to Formalhaut.

Offline Lorric

I’d be interested in trying an experiment this turn.

Two of our fleets hit the 1st Fura’ngle last turn. The damage wasn’t even particularly heavy, they only got hit for 49/44. And the 1st Fura’ngle are still very healthy at 79/84. And yet their morale went from Normal to Critical. Normal > Low > Very Low > Critical. Three drops.

The 2nd SF is still only at 71/73. If it engages in battle this turn, it will be vulnerable to a counterattack this turn. So I propose it Resupplies and then remains where it is to force the hierarchy into attacking our big UGCR tanks next turn. Then it can come in at full strength and hit back the turn after, or perhaps go down South to help out there.

We then have the two UGCR fleets attack the 2nd Fura’ngle. It won’t kill them, but it will hit them very hard, and their morale is Very Low. I’d like to see if that is still enough to finish them. Let us see what happens and see what we can learn. Here’s how it would go:

1st UGCR Fleet:
- Fighter attack strength: 25+11=36 (13+2)
- Capital attack strength: 22+13=35 (15)
- Fighters at 175% Strength, 3rd Gen
- Capital ships at 150% Strength
- Morale: Normal
- Mercs on Cooldown, Available again on turn 10

2nd UGCR Fleet:
- Fighter attack strength: 23+10=33 (13+2)
- Capital attack strength: 20+12=32 (15)
- Fighters at 160% Strength, 3rd Gen
- Capital ships at 136% Strength

vs.

2nd Fura'ngle Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 10+7=17 (16-2)
Capital attack strength: 14+5=19 (20-2)
Fighters at 77% Strength
Capital ships at 78% Strength
Morale: Very low

Result:

1st UGCR - 166/140
2nd UGCR - 159/126
2nd Fura’ngle - 8/11

So if 49/44 is enough to go from Normal to Critical, what will 69/67 do to Very Low?

EDIT: I was sure there was something in the rules about being able to rout fleets if you cripple their morale, but I can't find it. Maybe it was taken out. So maybe we should just hit the 1st Zy instead.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 07:59:26 pm by Lorric »

Offline Lorric

Spoon, the 2nd LSF did not move last turn and was on 100/100. So why is it now on 70/76?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I shot them for not submitting orders.
That, or a clerical mistake miscounted ships.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Lorric

I shot them for not submitting orders.

I'm running the hell away so I can resupply.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Lorric

So Jellyfish, you've chosen to enter Tauri also? Interesting decision to resupply when you get there.

Should I remain, or come too? I'll put a Resupply/stay put order for now.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Jellyfish, perhaps it'd be better for you to resupply first, then move? We don't know what awaits us in Tauri.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
EDIT: I was sure there was something in the rules about being able to rout fleets if you cripple their morale, but I can't find it. Maybe it was taken out. So maybe we should just hit the 1st Zy instead.

I think that Critical morale will result in a retreat where possible (1st Fura'ngle), and a surrender where not (4th Cordi).  If we attacked the 2nd Fura'ngle they'd probably want to retreat anyway to allow someone fresh to enter Aldebaran, so perhaps hitting the 1st Zy would be better since they're more dangerous & I'd rather not have the 1st & 2nd Zy beat on someone together.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Rear Admiral Jason Ralwood. Thou Fleet has been bested. Though the soldiers under thy command fought valiantly.
Does thou wish to continue?
Yes / No

If yes, your admiral will have made it to the life pods and lives to fight an other day. A new fleet will be constructed at the cost of 50 resources. But it will take some time before it gets ready.
RIP, Fist of Silva. Your sacrifice was not in vain. Fortunately, Admiral Ralwood's flag lieutenant hit him over the head and threw him into a lifepod before he could finish his speech about going down with his ship.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Lorric

Jellyfish, perhaps it'd be better for you to resupply first, then move? We don't know what awaits us in Tauri.
That was my first impulse too. But unlike you, who are at 74/86 so will be better served taking the sure thing, Jellyfish is at 92/93. So if he does take damage from some trap but retains the ability to Resupply, this will be useful. If he loses the ability to resupply somehow, he only loses out on 8/7. And if all is okay, well he gets the 8/7 anyway.

As for me, I've been thinking some more, and while there is a part of me that wants to come with you in a spirit of all for one and one for all, I think it would be best to err on the side of caution and remain here and see what happens.

I think that Critical morale will result in a retreat where possible (1st Fura'ngle), and a surrender where not (4th Cordi).  If we attacked the 2nd Fura'ngle they'd probably want to retreat anyway to allow someone fresh to enter Aldebaran, so perhaps hitting the 1st Zy would be better since they're more dangerous & I'd rather not have the 1st & 2nd Zy beat on someone together.
Agreed. I endorse a plan of having the two UGCR fleets hit the 1st Zy while the 2nd SF remains outside the system and Resupplies.

Offline Lorric

Heh. No sooner said than done. :)

Those lizards are going to pay:

1st UGCR Fleet:
- Fighter attack strength: 25+11=36 (13+2)
- Capital attack strength: 22+13=35 (15)
- Fighters at 175% Strength, 3rd Gen
- Capital ships at 150% Strength

2nd UGCR Fleet:
- Fighter attack strength: 23+10=33 (13+2)
- Capital attack strength: 20+12=32 (15)
- Fighters at 160% Strength, 3rd Gen
- Capital ships at 136% Strength

vs.

1st Zy Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 22+11=33 (21+2)
Capital attack strength: 22+11=33 (20+2)
Fighters at 96% Strength
Capital ships at 99% Strength
Morale: Very High

Result:

1st UGCR - 158/133
2nd UGCR - 143/119
1st Zy - 27/32

Comparing the 2nd UGCR to the 1st Zy shows just how strong the Zy are.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
(Manly tear for the loss of so many good Delest men and women).

Lorric, could you crunch some numbers on the southern front? I am thinking of attacking something (maybe the 2nd Hertak) and then retreating to Vega (and so I will deal damage while attacking AND while retreating, while ending up safely in a friendly system). I can also just prepare a barrage and stay in Draco and try to weather the assault of the 2nd Hertak + 3rd Nordera +4th Nordera fleets. Would that kill me? ( I think so). Should I just run?

And regarding the rout of the 4th Fura: it's not just the damage they took. Remember that they were in Draco when I took out the 1st Hertak. It might be that the destruction of their masters sapped their will to fight.

Can somebody kill the 1st Nordera? It's ridiculous that they are still alive at turn 6.

And do you want to bet that what the Zy left behind is a Knossos, to allow the Hertak to attack us from behind?
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Can somebody kill the 1st Nordera? It's ridiculous that they are still alive at turn 6.
I'd rather have their inferior fleet attacking us (or occupying a system "slot") than a Hertak or Fura'ngle fleet :)

And do you want to bet that what the Zy left behind is a Knossos, to allow the Hertak to attack us from behind?

Yeah, that thought occurred to me too, but surely Spoon wouldn't do that to us... surely  :nervous:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Flak

A Fura'ngle fleet is almost the same as Cordi fleet. Nordera junks on the other hand are hardly worth our time.

I'd rather have their inferior fleet attacking us (or occupying a system "slot") than a Hertak or Fura'ngle fleet :)
I've been in Hydra doing "tactical waiting" for 2 turns, always right in front of the 1st Nordera. As a 150% fleet it's the only Nordera fleet that can do some reasonable damage. Cause I'm tired of sitting around I'm going to attack them and retreat to Odin (actually my barrage will be ready again after resupplying).
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer

I'd rather Hydra was friendly. Good point though.

Yeah, that thought occurred to me too, but surely Spoon wouldn't do that to us... surely  :nervous:

Oh, you poor misguided fool.  :p
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)