Author Topic: Forum game: Rules/Discussion  (Read 163754 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: Forum game: Rules/Discussion
Quote from: from post 1
Resupply: Can only be done in a friendly system with an open supply route, resupplying will replenish 30% of the fleet's strength and raise the morale back to the fleet's base stat if it was lower than that. Take care not to get attacked while resupplying, its bad for morale and your fleet will take extra damage. Resupplying takes 10 resouces from the global resource pool.

Hmmm. Aldebaran will be nearly safe since you UGCR guys are going to stop the Heirarchy coming in. And I don't think the Fura'ngle will come in on their own. But unless Droid changes his mind and attacks the Nordera, it would probably be a good idea to pull Dragon off the front and have him Resupply at the back.

You take 5 damage per resupply and 5 damage per fleet. So Dragon could potentially take a massive 30/30 before we even get to damage inflicted if he gets hit by 3 fleets. That's if he does a double Resupply in the system. However, we also suspect being hit by the 3 fleets in Kardoen would be an instant kill on anyone anyway so does it matter? But yes, that's something to think about. If Dragon got hit by 2 fleets, they'd still need to do 73% damage after losing the 20/20 to destroy him. Hertak default is 41 capship damage, so it might be safer to get Dragon off the front line. And we don't need to be taking the morale hit either way. Good thinking niffiwan. Weird that I thought of this for the Zy and not our own.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Uhhh, Spoon? I hate to be an annoyance, but the week after the turn I will have to move to the UK and set up camp for my doctorate studies. I am pretty sure that I will have time to log in, see what's going on and post my fleet's moves, but I will probably not have enough time for RP. Do you think you could find some time during this weekend or next week? I promise I will not disclose the result of our tete-a-tete before the end of the turn.

If it is impossible for you, I understand.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Edit: I was wondering, there seem to be a number of fleets resupplying near or on the front lines.  What are the exact triggers for the "extra damage if attacked while resupplying" condition?
When a fleet is attacked after it has resupplied and before the start of its next turn, it takes the extra damage.
So like
Turn 5: Player Fleet 1 resupplies -> Enemy Fleet A attacks and deals extra damage -> Turn 6: Player Fleet 1 is in pain -> Enemy Fleet A laughs.
In reverse
Turn 5: Player Fleet 1 does whatever -> Enemy Fleet A resupplies -> Turn 6: Player Fleet 1 attacks and deals extra damage -> Fleet A panics.

Uhhh, Spoon? I hate to be an annoyance, but the week after the turn I will have to move to the UK and set up camp for my doctorate studies. I am pretty sure that I will have time to log in, see what's going on and post my fleet's moves, but I will probably not have enough time for RP. Do you think you could find some time during this weekend or next week? I promise I will not disclose the result of our tete-a-tete before the end of the turn.

If it is impossible for you, I understand.
I see I see, no problem.
We'll do it this week instead then!

Oh and Torchwood told me he was willing to continue playing. (I just need him to confirm it in here)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Enioch

Perfect. I have pretty much established my approach to Aquarius in the RP thread. I will expect the pipsqueak's response whenever you're ready - say Monday?

If you want, we could agree on an RP time, to get through the session quickly. Rapid fired PMs for the win.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
I'm now considering whether I might be better off moving to Virgo instead of defending Aldebaran: the situation in the northern front seems to be mostly under control, and with those slipstreaming Zy fleets, the situation down south looks to be in much worse shape. Thoughts?
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Lorric

Oh and Torchwood told me he was willing to continue playing. (I just need him to confirm it in here)
Nice! Will you allow his fleet to be prepared as if he made the decision straight after being destroyed please?

I'm now considering whether I might be better off moving to Virgo instead of defending Aldebaran: the situation in the northern front seems to be mostly under control, and with those slipstreaming Zy fleets, the situation down south looks to be in much worse shape. Thoughts?

I would stay in Aldebaran. We can always send Sparda down as well next turn if necessary, and hopefully, a stronger Enioch will be returning to the front line as well.

Offline Veers

So what about this attack in Draco, if we only have the 1st and 4th CRF engaging..

Lorric can you provide me some numbers please? or pm me how on earth you figure these things out so I can try myself? :)

Much appreciated!
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Lorric

So what about this attack in Draco, if we only have the 1st and 4th CRF engaging..

Lorric can you provide me some numbers please? or pm me how on earth you figure these things out so I can try myself? :)

Much appreciated!
I know we can't kill them (or I wouldn't want three of us to attack.) Let's see...

1st CRF Fleet:
- Fighter attack strength: 21+10=31 (16+2+3)
- Capital attack strength: 20+11=31 (17+3)
- Fighters at 100% Strength, 3rd Gen
- Capital ships at 100% Strength
- Morale: Zealous

4th CRF Fleet (+ Zeal)
- Fighter attack strength: 20+9=29 (16+2+2)
- Capital attack strength: 18+10=28 (17+2)
- Capital ships at 95% Strength
- Morale: Very High

Damage: 60/59 Received - 8/7 per fleet.

vs.

3rd Nordera Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 10+5=15 (10+3)
Capital attack strength: 9+5=14 (8+3)
Fighters at 69% Strength
Capital ships at 70% Strength
Morale: Zealous

So they'll be down to 9/11.

Offline Veers

And the 4th Nordera is stronger again yea?.

Hmm.. interesting, this could cause them to ram us and end up with the 3rd being destroyed and the 4th going berserk. (or one can hope I guess).

Considering the small damage, we should probably still consider the attack. The counter-attack is were we'd take our losses, and if reinforcements enter, we're wide open.

Good stuff :D Thanks for figures!

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Lorric

And the 4th Nordera is stronger again yea?.

Hmm.. interesting, this could cause them to ram us and end up with the 3rd being destroyed and the 4th going berserk. (or one can hope I guess).

Considering the small damage, we should probably still consider the attack. The counter-attack is were we'd take our losses, and if reinforcements enter, we're wide open.

Good stuff :D Thanks for figures!
4th Nordera is full strength, it hasn't been in battle yet. I too think we should still hit the 3rd Nordera whether Droid engages or not.

Would you still like to learn how to calculate the numbers? I'll walk you through this particular calculation if you like.

Offline Veers

Sure :). I'm sure I've got it mostly figured out, I just don't trust my own figures :D

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Lorric

Sure :). I'm sure I've got it mostly figured out, I just don't trust my own figures :D
Alright. Let's bring it back up again:

1st CRF Fleet:
- Fighter attack strength: 21+10=31 (16+2+3)
- Capital attack strength: 20+11=31 (17+3)
- Capital ships at 100% Strength
- Morale: Zealous

4th CRF Fleet (+ Zeal)
- Fighter attack strength: 20+9=29 (16+2+2)
- Capital attack strength: 18+10=28 (17+2)
- Capital ships at 95% Strength
- Morale: Very High

Damage: 60/59 Received - 8/7 per fleet.

vs.

3rd Nordera Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 10+5=15 (10+3)
Capital attack strength: 9+5=14 (8+3)
Fighters at 69% Strength
Capital ships at 70% Strength
Morale: Zealous

So they'll be down to 9/11.

---

Damage is the base stat plus half of the other base stat. So for instance your capital attack strength is 20+ half of your fighter attack strength. 21/2 = 10.5. Spoon rounds up for damage, so it's 11. 20+11 = 31.

the + bonuses in the brackets are absolute bonuses. No matter what your strength, you'll always have them added on in full. So it was a simple task of adding +1 to each of the 4th CRFs stats for his Zeal. No matter how weak he might have been, he'd get the +1 in full.

Finally, the Nordera's damage is split between the fleets. The damage is always spread equally and rounded up. Thus 15/7 = 7.5 = 8 damage per fleet, and 14/2 = 7 damage per fleet.

Do you understand?

Offline Lorric

I am making another appeal to Droid to please travel to Draco and kill the 3rd Nordera. In addition to this:

Fleet: 1st CSA
First Action: Major, Defend
Second Action: Minor, -op do-nothing

Why don't you want to kill the Nordera :confused:

EDIT: Also, staying in Hydra will block someone else from coming in.

The 2nd LSF is already there and will hopefully perform a double Resupply, and two other fleets are coming:

Fleet: 2nd DD
First action: Major, Resupply
Second action: Minor, Travel to Hydra
Fleet: 3rd SF
First Action - Minor - Travel to Hydra
Second Action - Major - Defend

Not killing the 3rd Nordera leaves the door open for the 4th Nordera to go up and join the 2nd Zy in a joint attack. Killing the 3rd Nordera means they can't do this without consequences. They either would have to take massive retreat damage from the 3 fleets in the system, or they'd have to wait for another fleet to arrive to cover them, and they then wouldn't be able to attack.

We'll also be in a better formation for the next turn with 3 fleets in the central system free to attack into any of Hydra, Draco or Vega. There'll only be two if the 1st CSA remains in Hydra.

If I'm the Hieracrhy, I don't care about Hydra. I'm going to be pushing into Draco and Vega to support the 2nd and 3rd Zy. The Hierarchy already showed they don't care about Hydra by letting us have it. I'm confident the main battle is moving to Draco and Vega. I will be very surprised if any Hierarchy fleets travel to Hydra next turn.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re:double resupply - that's a good way to bait being killed. A double resupply probably means that it won't even take all three fleets in Karoden to 'alpha' the 2nd LSF into oblivion given their really-low capship count. The 2nd LSF should pull back to Odin to resupply, and NOT risk being horribly murdered by being attacked during/after resupply in Hydra. The "?" also kind of scares me - makes me think it might be something...worse than a regular hertak fleet.

Still, you do make a convincing point of moving and allowing the 2nd DD and 3rd SF to hold Hydra. If someone is going to get alpha'd by the three fleets in Karoden...better to kill them corderas.

It shall be done.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 02:18:47 am by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Enioch

Hey folks

I've been giving some thought on how we should better deal with the STACK OF DOOM and have come to some conclusions.

Provided some conditions are met, we can beat them with no losses. Granted, those conditions would require some work on our part and, possibly, some re-thinking of our plans.

Consider the following scenarios:

In the first case, the STACK attacks a defense force of three fleets in a neighboring system. The STACK does terrible terrible damage and we lose a fleet, while they take only little damage, spread out over their three fleets. Essentially, they took a fleet for free. We then reinforce the system and counter-attack, but the fleet is gone.

In the second scenario, the STACK is separated from our defense fleet by a buffer - system. They wish to attack, and so they advance to the intermediate system. They now have two choices (indicated by the upper and lower arrows)

A) they secure the system and wait. If they do that, we can attack them with three fleets next turn, do massive damage to a Hertak fleet and take only limited damage in return. This will drastically improve our fleets' survival chances, because the STACK will be unable to do its full damage next turn. Done properly, our attack will probably do ~90% damage to the Hertak, while we only take ~10-12% damage per fleet.

B) they secure the system (thus losing a fleet's second action) and move on. This is very bad for them. They only advance with two fleets and cannot attack. We can counterattack like in case A, and our position is better.

Essentially, I am suggesting sacrificing systems for fleets. Thoughts? Is this viable?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 09:08:10 am by Enioch »

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Hey folks

I've been giving some thought on how we should better deal with the STACK OF DOOM and have come to some conclusions.

Provided some conditions are met, we can beat them with no losses. Granted, those conditions would require some work on our part and, possibly, some re-thinking of our plans.

Consider the following scenarios:

In the first case, the STACK attacks a defense force of three fleets in a neighboring system. The STACK does terrible terrible damage and we lose a fleet, while they take only little damage, spread out over their three fleets. Essentially, they took a fleet for free. We then reinforce the system and counter-attack, but the fleet is gone.

In the second scenario, the STACK is separated from our defense fleet by a buffer - system. They wish to attack, and so they advance to the intermediate system. They now have two choices (indicated by the upper and lower arrows)

A) they secure the system and wait. If they do that, we can attack them with three fleets next turn, do massive damage to a Hertak fleet and take only limited damage in return. This will drastically improve our fleets' survival chances, because the STACK will be unable to do its full damage next turn. Done properly, our attack will probably do ~90% damage to the Hertak, while we only take ~10-12% damage per fleet.

B) they secure the system (thus losing a fleet's second action) and move on. This is very bad for them. They only advance with two fleets and cannot attack. We can counterattack like in case A, and our position is better.

Essentially, I am suggesting sacrificing systems for fleets. Thoughts? Is this viable?

Huh. Let's see if we can make something like this work, as long as we take all strategic factors into account.

The Hydra fleets should be able to fall back to Odin/Tamy without a problem, putting them out of the range of any Hierarchy attack and leaving them well-positioned to counterattack any units that move into Hydra.

If the Draco fleets fall back to Vega, at least one of them will take damage on retreating, the 3rd and 4th Nordera will be able to give chase and attack, and the 2nd Zy will hit one allied fleet for decent damage when it arrives in Draco. They will be out of the DoomStack's attack range, though.

If the Draco fleets fall all the way back to Aquarius, they'll also take damage on retreating, and only be able to counterattack any enemy units that move into Vega. But they'll be out of range of any Hierarchy attack this turn, and will take less damage from any Hierarchy attack for as long as they're fighting in Aquarius. They will definitely be able to counterattack the 2nd Zy, but if the DoomStack moves to Draco on this turn, any fleets attacking the 2nd Zy in Vega on the next turn will be vulnerable to a counterattack by DoomStack units on that turn.

Thoughts, anyone?
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Lorric

It's nice to see someone else propose a plan, Enioch, and at first, you had me excited about it thinking it might work. But, unfortunately, I don’t think it would work.

First, I think the strategic position of having Hydra, Draco and Vega linked in mutual support is worth the sacrifice of a fleet vs. allowing the Hierarchy to split us all up and losing that support. With the stuff that's coming through in the South, I think we'd be hard pressed to get those systems back. If they force the issue on the front where the Zy are coming in, they'll just smash right through. All they need to do is put the Nordera in Hydra to stall us.

But then I saw the real danger. All they have to do is have the two Nordera fleets conquer the vacant systems and have the rest hang back. We’d have to attack, as they’d just collect more and more reinforcements, then we’d get smashed by the stack of doom anyway.

In addition, the power of the ? Hertak unit might render such a thing moot anyway even if the plan worked exactly as you hope it would. I'd take the damage, then use the position we're in to hit back HARD. We can probably triple team two targets next turn.

Again though, It’s nice to see someone else proposed an idea.

EDIT: And Droid, thank you for switching orders. Operation Fluffcats 2 is go! :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 11:59:44 am by Lorric »

Offline Lorric

Some comments on the Turn 7 video.

Those Leopard fighters look like beastly ships, no pun intended. Love the weapons on them and the effects when they’re shooting up those Zy fighters, it just gives a feeling of power to me. What are they launching from? I thought it was on a planet at first with the sun shining like that, very cool opening to the video. I really wish I could jump into the Leopard and go fight that battle. It was quite an intense-looking battle.

The second part, Hydra is truly beautiful. That’s probably my favourite background I’ve seen put to WoD, previously it was Lyrae, which is why I took the opportunity to post some shots in the RP thread while I was in… Librae. Damn, I mixed up the systems! :lol: I have a test map for FREDding WoD, and it has the Lyrae background. I enjoyed watching all the Nordera exploding, and seeing the Cyrvans in action. Of course, I didn’t enjoy the Nordera counterattack, although at the time of the first viewing I did because I thought it was just a fun sequence since it doesn’t explain what actually happened. It's good of course, but damn those suicidal fanatics! :hopping:

I've also noticed there seems to be a lot more fighters floating around. I like that. I also like how more time was devoted to individual battles, although there were only three of them this time, so I don't know if that will change in a turn with like 6 battles. They always leave me wanting to see more, see the battle go on longer. :)

Oh, how do those Zy capital ships stack up against Terran capital ships, as in in-game not the forum game?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Some comments on the Turn 7 video.

Those Leopard fighters look like beastly ships, no pun intended. Love the weapons on them and the effects when they’re shooting up those Zy fighters, it just gives a feeling of power to me. What are they launching from? I thought it was on a planet at first with the sun shining like that, very cool opening to the video. I really wish I could jump into the Leopard and go fight that battle. It was quite an intense-looking battle.

The thing the fighters are launching from is *probably* a Rhino (Baikal) shown in one of the earlier turn vids (turn 2), judging from how the bay doors open and the launch is "downwards", and you also see one later on in the same battle.

Could be wrong though.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Lorric

The thing the fighters are launching from is *probably* a Rhino (Baikal) shown in one of the earlier turn vids (turn 2), judging from how the bay doors open and the launch is "downwards", and you also see one later on in the same battle.

Could be wrong though.
Sounds reasonable.

Spoon, I have a request. Could you put the names of the music tracks used into the description boxes of your turn videos and future turn videos please? I am particularly interested in the one used for the Nordera gang-bang/suicide. Now doesn't that just sound wrong? :lol:

There are others I will be seeking out too if I know their names.