Author Topic: Steam Deck - I will pay a nerd to get Knossos working.  (Read 14265 times)

Re: Steam Deck - I will pay a nerd to get Knossos working.
UPDATE: It's working! I'll need to look into modifying the control layout but so far so good.

Let me know how those instructions for the controls worked. I know my control bindings might have been a little bit crazy, so if you have any deliberate feedback for those let's get this process better ironed out.

So, my process  may have been screwed up by the latest SteamOS package.

I'm currently stuck with an error saying it  can't find setuptools

I will keep trying, but again, if anyone  gets Knossos into a flatpack and distributed on the Discovery Store, Ill do whatever I can, and  pay you $69.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I will keep trying, but again, if anyone  gets Knossos into a flatpack and distributed on the Discovery Store, Ill do whatever I can, and  pay you $69.

I'm like 98% certain this is illegal.

[EDIT] I have misread the post. I shall now commit seppuku out of shame.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 12:17:56 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
*following-

What's the discovery store? 

If the guy is paying someone for the time and effort spent repurposing/repackaging knossos, rather than the software itself, is that illegal?  This is an interesting thread.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I'm like 98% certain this is illegal.

What would be illegal about it?

So, The Discovery Store is like an appstore for the distributing of Flatpacks. Every time Valve updates SteamOS, I have to go through this big long process to get Knossos working again. And at this moment, I'm completely unable. The steps I tried after the last 4 updates didn't work. Right now I'm stuck on the makepkg -si for Knossos.

node: error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.70: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in package().

that's where it all breaks.

Buuuuut. If a linux app is installed through the discovery store, SteamOS doesn't touch it. SteamOS is ArchLinux based.

The Bounty is simple. I Need my Freespace Fixed like i need cocaine and naps. I'm paying for someone's help in troubleshooting... and preferably perma-fixing this issue. KNOSSOS, not Freespace itself. That runs great. I want my fancy VPs, and battlestars and options.

Phandom Hoover was chipping away at that problem, but haven't heard anything new.

I've decided that Python is the source of my troubles. I can't get whatever the tools needed to compile the Knossos package to work. I think that there is some conflict with the version in my first post, and whatever the new update is.

I tried going through the dependencies on the page AUR page, but I still don't know what I'm doing.

Well, I reinstalled SteamDeck OS from a recovery drive, and was able to use my process for getting Knossos working. Then it updated to Steam OS 3.4.4 and it's broken again. This is the error i get now:
Code: [Select]
==> Making package: fs2-knossos 0.14.3-3 (Fri 30 Dec 2022 05:07:57 PM MST)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Installing missing dependencies...
error: target not found: python-raven
==> ERROR: 'pacman' failed to install missing dependencies.
==> Missing dependencies:
  -> python-six
  -> python-requests
  -> python-requests-toolbelt
  -> python-pyqt5
  -> python-pyqtwebengine
  -> python-raven
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> ERROR: Could not resolve all dependencies.

I will try updating SteamOS to 3.4.4 before installing and  see if that works, but my offer  to pay someone to distribute Knossos as a flatpak is still up.

I fixed all those other errors except

python-raven
and i can't find a web solution.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I'm not familiar enough with SteamOS to know if this would work, but I just released packages for a development version of Knossos and it's possible that one of them might work for you. If SteamOS has python 3.5 or newer available then I think you might have a shot of getting one of these to work...

A .deb is available which might install. It's not really Debian or Ubuntu specific so as long as the dependencies are met I'm guessing it would work.
https://pxo.nottheeye.com/files/test/knossos/knossos_0.15.0-dev+e4a81e5_all.deb

If pip is available then you could also try the standard python module. Again, you'll need at least python 3.5 for this to work. pip will should install all of the dependencies and then install knossos. A "knossos" executable should then be available in your path.
pip install https://pxo.nottheeye.com/files/test/knossos/knossos-0.15.0.dev0+e4a81e5.tar.gz(NOTE: you may have to use "pip3" instead of "pip" depending on how things are installed)

Neither of those is going to be as good as a proper package for SteamOS obviously, but if one of them works then it might hold you over for a bit.

I'm not familiar enough with SteamOS to know if this would work, but I just released packages for a development version of Knossos and it's possible that one of them might work for you. If SteamOS has python 3.5 or newer available then I think you might have a shot of getting one of these to work...

A .deb is available which might install. It's not really Debian or Ubuntu specific so as long as the dependencies are met I'm guessing it would work.
https://pxo.nottheeye.com/files/test/knossos/knossos_0.15.0-dev+e4a81e5_all.deb

If pip is available then you could also try the standard python module. Again, you'll need at least python 3.5 for this to work. pip will should install all of the dependencies and then install knossos. A "knossos" executable should then be available in your path.
pip install https://pxo.nottheeye.com/files/test/knossos/knossos-0.15.0.dev0+e4a81e5.tar.gz(NOTE: you may have to use "pip3" instead of "pip" depending on how things are installed)

Neither of those is going to be as good as a proper package for SteamOS obviously, but if one of them works then it might hold you over for a bit.

This appears to have worked, and I didn't get any install messages saying there was an error, but...
How do i launch Knossos  after  installing it that way? When I click on the Knossos icon in the list of installed apps, it  opens a window with " Knossos 0.15-dev+e4a81e5" at the top and nothing else in the window.

Also, I do have Python 3.8 on SteamOS, but I don't fully know what to do.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 09:21:51 pm by delta_5-1 »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Did you install the deb package or install via pip? Dependencies are resolved differently between the two so that might have a bearing on what's broken.

But generally if you get a window with title and all, but it's otherwise blank, that means the web view crashed or failed to load. If you can try running it from a command line it might give you some output indicating the problem. There is also a log file which might offer some clues. It should be located at ~/.config/knossos/log.txt

I installed the PIP version. I'm not 100% sure how to install the other one but I will look up how to install those packages and let you know what the results are.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I looks like I made a mistake with a couple of the dependencies and it's possible that it be causing a problem. As a workaround, in case it is the the cause of your issue, install raven and token-bucket with pip and see if that helps at all. (pip install raven token-bucket)

Of course that may not help at all. But if it does please let me know. I'll be releasing fixed packages in the next day or so but until then the workaround should be sufficient.

Of course that may not help at all. But if it does please let me know. I'll be releasing fixed packages in the next day or so but until then the workaround should be sufficient.

it didn't help. but i will wait for the new update from you. Let me know what to do as soon as you have the updates.

If it helps any for your suggestions, SteamOS is based on ArchLinux, i am new to Linux with this device, so the more specific the help, the better. Thanks in advance!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
A new build is available to test out. This should fix an issue similar to the one you reported so I'm hoping that it's the same bug. Give it a try a let me know if it works any better for you.

pip install https://pxo.nottheeye.com/files/test/knossos/knossos-0.15.0.dev0+73b131a.tar.gz

A new build is available to test out. This should fix an issue similar to the one you reported so I'm hoping that it's the same bug. Give it a try a let me know if it works any better for you.

pip install https://pxo.nottheeye.com/files/test/knossos/knossos-0.15.0.dev0+73b131a.tar.gz

It installed, but it said that most of the parts were already found, and it didn't work. Same blank Knossos window.

I'm going to reinstall SteamOS, and try installing Knossos on my other steam deck with this script. I'll let you know if either of those work.

***EDIT***
Alas, same results in both. Knossos  opened, blank grey window.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 10:28:22 pm by delta_5-1 »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Sorry for the trouble. Unfortunately I just don't know much about the Steam Deck or have a way to test anything for it. I'll have to do some more research into it and see if I can figure something out.

All right with Taylor's help I have a working solution and I will type it up for the front post a little bit later. Basically just install python using the first steps and then run the link Taylor posted a little earlier.

Okay, I am new here, but i Have successfully installed openfreespace via knossos with it working in gaming mode and without owning freespace 1 or 2, and having all the different games as their launchers, in fact i have done it months ago(4-6 months), sorry for not informing
so here are the steps.
1. make sure the deck is unlocked and use the command with konsole:
sudo pacman -S base-devel

2. Make sure to git clone and install the AUR's,(both knossos and the two python dependencies that are not pakages(python-raven, and python token-bucket respectfully)
and make sure to change directory first , i would do these console commands with konsole:
cd /home/deck/   this is my recommended directory
git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/fs2-knossos.git
git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/python-raven.git
git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/python-token-bucket.git

then i would
cd /home/deck/fs2-knossos/
makepkg -si

this will try to install as many dependencies as possible, install most of those dependencies(which are packages) with konsole by typing:
 sudo pacman -S
(note: some of those dependencies might be outdated with this command and must be installed manually via downloading the mirror of the packages manually and typing in konsole
sudo pacman -U
then just drag and drop the file to konsole to finish the rest of the line)
, then it is time to install the aur packages :
cd /home/deck/python-raven/
makepkg -si

then
cd /home/deck/python-token-bucket/
makepkg -si

and finally
cd /home/deck/fs2-knossos/
makepkg -si

now if theses steps work, knossos is successfully installed.

you could now delete these AUR folders and files contained in them

3. now it is time to open knossos and install some games, and the open freespace engine,

a warning would appear, for me anyway, "A critical error occurred! Knossos might not work correctly until you restart it"",  and just press okay for around 25 to 100 times until the warning window will not show up anymore,
if you follow these steps, knossos would not be used as a launcher and only just as a installer

first i would change the install directory, i have it set up to the SD card and it the game works, and i made sure the folder was /freespaceopen
so click on the gear icon(settings menu) under the close (x button) to get started, i have the stable version as the engine selected under the knossos tab,
under the Joystick tab, joystick Microsoft X-box 360 Pad 0(the steamdeck pad)
video: 1280 X 800. i keep everything else default., then click on the green Save button

now click explore and install a game,
I installed wing commander saga 0.9.6, seems to be the most stable with the steam deck, and it is a native application.
after it is done installing,

make sure it works by pressing the play button, if the intro works, you have installed it, to close the application, hold the steam button and press B, it would open up the keyboard and you will be sent to back desktop, now right click the freespace application and close

now time to play the game without the knossos application, first click on the settings button(the gear wheel under the x button), click on the dropdown menu on the knossos tab, look in the library Path, and go to that path using the dolphin browser, it should be../freespaceopen, now go to /bin/FSO-22.0.0/Linux/, and right glick  the fs2_open_22_0_0x64.AppImage file and go to properties (go to the permission tab and make sure is executable is checked), then copy the file
now  go back to the freespaceopen directory and you will see a folder for each game installed, go to the game folder, in my case /Wing_Commander_Saga/Wing_Commander_Saga-0.9.6 and paste the file in that folder, now open the file to test that it works, If so you can now play the game without requring Knossos,(note: you will have to do that with every game you own, A symlink might be possible)

and finally it is time to add the game to steam, so that way it can be played in gaming mode with full controller support, left or right click on the steam icon on the bottom right the the screen and click library, then click add a Non-Steam-game, (note adding a game on linux is not as intuitive on widows, because windows allows us to use explorer, but in linux we cannot use dolphin, so if you have the freespace directory installed in linux, it would generally be in /run/media/and the folder that starts with the m)
find the fs2_open_22_0_0x64.AppImage file that is the specific one you pated to the game directory. and double click and open. make sure the file is checked and click add selected to library , now scroll down in the games tab and find fs2_open_22_0_0x64.AppImage, and right click and select properties, here you can change the name without changing the file*i have changed mine to (Wing_Commander_Saga), and since this a native linux app, make sure steam play compatibility (in the compatibility tab) is disabled

now you have successfully installed and added the game to steam, now it is time for the hard part setting up the controls.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 10:32:56 am by Nu_Register »