Author Topic: The Orville -- it's okay, I guess?  (Read 5489 times)

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
Re: The Orville -- it's okay, I guess?
No, I don't necessarily mean deep-level world-building that you have now with Trek or LOTR or even Star Wars (where every background character has a name, occupation, and sixteen paragraphs describing their backstory in specific detail.  I don't want to see that, but I would like to see some more generalized stuff like:
"What is the Union?"
"How did it come about?"
"How long has it been a thing?"
"Is Earth a founding member or just a heavily represented one?"
"Are there other antagonists besides the Krill?"
I don't think we need highly specific information like how fast the ship goes under emergency double hyperspeed power.

The one thing I want them to keep up though is the subtle little jabs at Trek in general.  They don't feel mean spirited in any way, but more like a family member picking on someone for something embarassing but ultimately painless.

Example:  in the first episode, where they have a shuttle that they can use, and it has seat belts and they use them.  Something that even TNG only used occasionally.
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
You have deep issues regarding your tastes. Don't tell me, you also enjoyed the Star Wars prequels. I know such people actually exist, and like Bush said about the fish, I too think we can coexist in the same planet, but barely!

Nah, I thought they were mostly stupid. I didn't think we needed a story explaining everything before the first 3 but I've already said what I think about what happens when people over-explain a universe. But I stand by what I said. TNG is needlessly hokey and I couldn't even break out of the first season of DS9. "It get's better in season 3!" is not enough a reason to push through.

Regarding the overthrowing government episode, I don't even know what you're talking about. As far as I can remember, there was no such Orville episode? The one with the Big Dumb Object in space had no such overthrowing?

So what do you think happens when
Spoiler:
a group of outsiders overthrow a potentially several thousand year old theocracy that beats people to death in the public square for not believing? Two things happen. The leader reasserts himself and incorporates the ship into their way of thinking and purges his enemies to retain control or the "resistance" goes all French revolution and the people have mass panics because their entire lives have been lies. We can't even get people to accept climate change in this country. How well do you think these people will take "haha, your beliefs are a lie!"

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
No, I don't necessarily mean deep-level world-building that you have now with Trek or LOTR or even Star Wars (where every background character has a name, occupation, and sixteen paragraphs describing their backstory in specific detail.  I don't want to see that, but I would like to see some more generalized stuff like:
"What is the Union?"
"How did it come about?"
"How long has it been a thing?"
"Is Earth a founding member or just a heavily represented one?"
"Are there other antagonists besides the Krill?"
I don't think we need highly specific information like how fast the ship goes under emergency double hyperspeed power.

The one thing I want them to keep up though is the subtle little jabs at Trek in general.  They don't feel mean spirited in any way, but more like a family member picking on someone for something embarassing but ultimately painless.

Example:  in the first episode, where they have a shuttle that they can use, and it has seat belts and they use them.  Something that even TNG only used occasionally.

I want to say up front I'm arguing with you like "you're wrong!" I just have a different preference and we're just shooting the breeze talking about space shows and stuff. Cool? Cool. I watch to be entertained. It's a 30 minute mostly comedy sci fi show. When the Union was formed, or how many planets, or what have you hasn't, so far for me, affected the show. Maybe later on an episode pops up that deals with when it was formed or by who. Great, bring it up. To me, they're just TV writers. They write episodes, I don't expect them to know the ins and outs of how to build a fleshed out universe basically. If it's less known, they can tell the episodes they want without worrying about running over canon. 

Again, this is just my opinion. Some people like a more granular detail in their..... likes? hobbies? whatever. For TV shows, I'm less interested in it. Just be entertaining. Whether it's funny or sad or tragic or though provoking etc.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
You have deep issues regarding your tastes. Don't tell me, you also enjoyed the Star Wars prequels. I know such people actually exist, and like Bush said about the fish, I too think we can coexist in the same planet, but barely!

Nah, I thought they were mostly stupid. I didn't think we needed a story explaining everything before the first 3 but I've already said what I think about what happens when people over-explain a universe. But I stand by what I said. TNG is needlessly hokey and I couldn't even break out of the first season of DS9. "It get's better in season 3!" is not enough a reason to push through.

Regarding the overthrowing government episode, I don't even know what you're talking about. As far as I can remember, there was no such Orville episode? The one with the Big Dumb Object in space had no such overthrowing?

Spoiler:
a group of outsiders overthrow a potentially several thousand year old theocracy that beats people to death in the public square for not believing? Two things happen. The leader reasserts himself and incorporates the ship into their way of thinking and purges his enemies to retain control or the "resistance" goes all French revolution and the people have mass panics because their entire lives have been lies. We can't even get people to accept climate change in this country. How well do you think these people will take "haha, your beliefs are a lie!"
Spoiler:
Well, it's still a better chance than driving themselves into the sun, which was the point of overthrowing their government in the first place for the Orville crew, if that theocracy hadn't been overthrown they would all have died shortly after.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Well, it's still a better chance than driving themselves into the sun, which was the point of overthrowing their government in the first place for the Orville crew, if that theocracy hadn't been overthrown they would all have died shortly after.

I'm not arguing against that point. It's still the right thing to do but it kind of glosses over the serious ramifications this society is going to hit. I'm trying to keep this vague because I like this line of thinking but don't think it should be only hidden in spoiler tags. It would be nice if this was touched on more. I know I just said "Dude, just entertain me" but it has to be somewhat realistic.
Spoiler:
I don't think all these "Oh hello spaceman, thank you for teaching us the true way, we will now begin peaceful changes" is entirely accurate. That society was just given a ton of power and had its beliefs toppled. There's going to be murders

Offline Luis Dias

Finally watched til the finale. Jesus Christ, can this show ever create a singular, original story never done in Trek before? Answer, no it ****ing can't.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
You're upset the sorta spoof of Star Trek, which has run has run off and on for almost 50 years doesn't have a plot you've never seen before?

Offline Luis Dias

Jesus Christ man, they are full blown copying their plot devices. Star Trek at least made an effort to invent new stories and concepts. Hell, even Enterprise did it. Hell, even Discovery did it!!

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
You're upset the sorta spoof of Star Trek, which has run has run off and on for almost 50 years doesn't have a plot you've never seen before?
It's not really a spoof.
I mean, it doesn't really feel like one, though the fact that the way the characters act is less overtly Utopian McPerfect could potentially make the show more interesting but we didn't see much of that.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Jesus Christ man, they are full blown copying their plot devices. Star Trek at least made an effort to invent new stories and concepts. Hell, even Enterprise did it. Hell, even Discovery did it!!

Did Voyager do it?

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer

I guess that's where we differ. I didn't look at Orville and think "original plot"

Offline Luis Dias

Did Voyager do it?

You see the last episode? That's entirely stolen from voyager, including the part where the robot gets to live there for quite awhile. It also meshes with a tng episode so hurray? ****ing hell.

Offline Mikes

So episode 6 ...

Wow ... that was the most cringe worthy Humor I have seen in a long time together with a solid moral dilemma and a dang good truly chilling ending.

WT* did I just watch? LOL. Well I'll keep watching, but that Humor ... egads. /rolleyes

And correct me if I m wrong ...   but no ... I haven t seen anything remotely like THAT on Star Trek!