Author Topic: Release: 3.7.0 RC1  (Read 26749 times)

Always Like it when i don't feel like an idiot ;)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I wonder if it's the actual version bump to 3.7.0 that is causing the problem with the code then.  We need to audit anything that actually checks the build version in the code for potential issues it seems.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Yarn

I wonder if it's the actual version bump to 3.7.0 that is causing the problem with the code then.  We need to audit anything that actually checks the build version in the code for potential issues it seems.
The problem is that FSO expects all three numbers in the version tag to be less than or equal to the respective numbers in the build version. For example, a line beginning with ;;FSO 3.6.13;; should load in 3.7.0, but it doesn't because 13 is greater than 0. The bug most likely existed ever since version tags were implemented but has not become apparent until now.

I've attached a patch that corrects this behavior.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Heh, whoops.  I've reviewed and applied Yarn's patch.  It won't be in the next nightly build, since those are based on trunk instead of the RC branch, but it'll be in the next RC.

Offline Yarn

I think that Mantis 2753 needs to be addressed before 3.7 goes final.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I've set it's target version to 3.7.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Hi!
What about Mantis 2801? Or do just very few people get this?

Offline Yarn

Hi!
What about Mantis 2801? Or do just very few people get this?
That appears to happen only with the German version. Since most of us have only the English version, not many people encounter that bug.

Try this: Using a new, fresh pilot, play through the campaign without the MediaVPs. If you don't get the crash this time, then the bug is most likely related to the data in the MediaVPs.
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Solatar

I've been playing the new FSPort with Dan Wentz's music, and it reverts to the original music when I switch from 3.6.19 (r9638) to 3.7 RC 1.  The .tbm file in the port uses the ;; 3.6.0 tag for most of the soundtracks, although the file names are the same.

e: actually, it's not a problem with the new music, since it reverts to original Freespace 2 music.  It must be discarding the version tagged FS1 soundtracks added by the Port.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:15:25 pm by Solatar »

Yes, we definitely can and will.
*Dusts off 4-months-old patch files*
Yayfication + 1

*Grabs RC*
Hammertime's up. It's testing time!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy

I've been playing the new FSPort with Dan Wentz's music, and it reverts to the original music when I switch from 3.6.19 (r9638) to 3.7 RC 1.  The .tbm file in the port uses the ;; 3.6.0 tag for most of the soundtracks, although the file names are the same.

e: actually, it's not a problem with the new music, since it reverts to original Freespace 2 music.  It must be discarding the version tagged FS1 soundtracks added by the Port.

Well, we think it's sorted out in trunk now.  The next RC will be able to tell for sure.  You can test the latest nightly though to make sure it's at least working there.  There will be a new windows one within the next couple of hours.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Echelon9

Proposing that the fix for Mantis 2853: AddressSanitizer: heap-buffer-overflow in change_ship_type() be ported to the next available RC.

This bug may lead to a range of subtle and hard to track down bugs any time a user changes ship pre-mission.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Plan is still to sync all trunk commits to the 3.7.0 branch.

Offline Yarn

Mantis 2849 should be fixed too; a fix is attached a fix to that ticket. At least two others have noticed its effect. (And I probably should have set its severity to major; oh well.)
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Mantis 2849 should be fixed too; a fix is attached a fix to that ticket. At least two others have noticed its effect. (And I probably should have set its severity to major; oh well.)

Committed r9650. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Code Review for 2753 should be tested as well, has been tested and needs to be in the next RC.

Commit 9655 needs examination, it is breaking current play-through. Correction, the reference for the look-up on the filename needs to be reviewed. I think it would be a lot easier to not try and look for -normal/-shine/-glow files for ANI or EFF files, I think that it what is tripping it up.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 01:00:28 am by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
How about only look for them if the combined filename is short enough, and if it's not, log that they couldn't even be scanned for because the filename was too long?  Unless we're certain that we'll never want to have EFF normals/shines/glows.  I don't know if we can make that assumption though.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah... We do have animated textures to consider, right?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Quick question. Does anybody know if the Joystick axes are saved?
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
We've had animated glows for a long time. There's no reason to disable them now, or declare animated normals and shines off-limits. There may be better ways to achieve these effects, but until those are implemented, removing this feature strikes me as distinctly unwise.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns