Author Topic: [OOC] An overview of Phoenix  (Read 13335 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
[OOC] An overview of Phoenix
Phoenix was an alternate reality game created to promote Silent Threat: Reborn.  It was "announced" by the ST:R trailer, in which the number 162 (corresponding to the forum id) was briefly displayed in the same manner as the www.ilovebees.com link in the Halo 2 trailer.  A total of 56 people discovered the Phoenix forum and were treated to a series of puzzles and forum posts that revealed background information about ST:R.

Phoenix's story concerns, Aadarsh, an employee of GTI, who becomes concerned about GTI's corruption and behind-the-scenes maneuvering and sends a series of transmissions in an effort to make his discoveries public.  Through an unexplained temporal phenomenon, these transmissions from a GTI facility in the year 2335 are interpreted as new threads on a hidden HLP forum in the year 2008.  This same phenomenon eventually allows HLP forum members to view the GTA "holonet" and gain access to additional tools they can use to discover the GTI's secrets.

Here are the threads in chronological order:

• Can anyone hear me? - Aadarsh sends his first tentative transmission
  • Not as it appears... - The first puzzle, which involves the Einstein's activities in Ross 128
  • Gotcha! - Colonol Dekker and faxi summarize the events of Phoenix and the community's discoveries so far
  • Interesting times... - Aadarsh expresses surprise that he can't figure out who's receiving his transmissions
  • Some more highlights... - Aadarsh posts a Classified Level Omega image, which contains another puzzle
  • Calling Isaac Stone... - MikeRoz attempts to blow Aadarsh's cover, but is foiled by the fact that he is unable to send information forward in time
  • On the destruction of a multitude - Aadarsh reacts to the devastation of Vasuda Prime and its associated events
  • Always one step behind - Aadarsh posts another puzzle, in the form of a Vasudan letter that was intercepted by GTI
  • Analysis and speculation - Aadarsh comments on the fact that the Lucifer appears to be heading for Earth
  • Weird date... relevant? - Various members attempt to figure out the significance of the bizarre timestamps on Aadarsh's messages
  • Running out of time - Aadarsh comments on the collapse of the Sol node and posts another puzzle, which requires integrating information from several previous puzzles AND doing some real-world detective work
  • Aadash [sic] is late - terran_emperor wonders why the next transmission has been delayed
  • Problems - Aadarsh discreetly sends another transmission, revealing that the GTI is catching on to his activities
  • Rescheduling - Because the HLP members haven't cracked the Vasudan puzzle yet, the Phoenix game masters are forced to invent another puzzle for Aadarsh to send
  • #162 IRC channel - FreeSpaceFreak comments on the #162 channel (which had actually already been active for several weeks at that point)
  • Timoke. No, delete last Fokker Triplane. No - The original finale thread, which got its unusual title from Aadarsh taking a few seconds to calm down and enunciate.  I had to punt on the grand prize due to push to finish ST:R, so I substituted an early release of ST:R as an interim grand prize.
  • I just got here. - Topgun just got here
  • Database inconistency detected - Announcements attempts to remedy a gap in the story
  • Timoke. No, delete last Fokker Triplane. No - After a number of years, the temporal anomaly syncs up again and the grand prize is finally released.
The Phoenix story was written by Goober5000, who also played the Aadarsh character and invented the Vasudan language.  The Galactic Holonet was designed and coded by chief1983.  Ransom Arceihn produced the end-of-game flash animation and wrote the Ross 128 briefings; and Galemp rendered the personal log video and created the Vasudan font.  Ace and Setekh rendered the two puzzle images.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:31:50 am by Goober5000 »

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Re: [OOC] An overview of Phoenix
The phoenix game was a nice twist for a campaign release.  I think I saved the day by being the only one with a FS1 strategy guide.  I never did scan the pages that illustrate the stars.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, I know at least one other person had the guide, and at least one person ordered it, so it wouldn't have been too bad if you didn't have it.

But yeah, I think people would appreciate the page scans. :)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
You didn't mention/credit the Skype thing anywhere.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Go go gadget Galactic News Network!
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You didn't mention/credit the Skype thing anywhere.
That kinda falls into doing "real world detective work" in "Running out of time".

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
He might mean you didn't really credit the voice actress.  Of course half the guys know who she was already anyway, stupid google.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Oh.  Well, the Skype people were listed in the voice acting credits for ST:R.  Holonet Monitor, Captain Larson, Commodore Stone, and Frank were all Phoenix roles.

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Who made the ST:R trailer, Goober?
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Which one? :nervous:

If you mean the one that was hidden on the Phoenix board... that wasn't a trailer. :p
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Is the password to get into the holonet still valid?  Because I perused the board and found the "isaac.stone" account.  Can't use it to log in.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Read the subsequent threads to find out what happened to that account. :)

well yeah, I find out that the isaac stone account is deactivated.  Andreas Rybak is not there either.  And neither is Estevão Figueira.

Oy.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Oh, so it really was Setekh's image after all. :)
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
A total of 56 people discovered the Phoenix forum and were treated to a series of puzzles and forum posts that revealed background information about ST:R.

how did you count us? By reading our posts? ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
By doing a database query, as I said in the other thread.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I remember a thread whose name was a reference to a WWI Fokker Triplane, but I don't see it in the list...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I remember a thread whose name was a reference to a WWI Fokker Triplane, but I don't see it in the list...
EXACTLY what the hell happened to that? IIRC it had the login details for rybak.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
He was made into an unperson. You would have been too, except the GTI Internal Security Agents can't time travel.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
EXACTLY what the hell happened to that?
This.