Author Topic: I made a couple tweaks: fixed 3d loadout icons, radar icons  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
I made a couple tweaks: fixed 3d loadout icons, radar icons
I went through all the weapon tech models in PCS2 and tweaked the radius (and sometimes bounding box) of detail0, so they show up properly in the loadout screen instead of being tiny and horrible and impossible to see. Also properly centered the EMP missile and some others that were a bit off.

https://i.imgur.com/ASfcoUP.png

Also: I always found it odd that the radar icon for a corvette was the Iceni, so I made a Deimos replacement (idk if it's any good) and a tbl entry so that the Iceni icon is only used by the Iceni itself. Also got rid of the grey box around the Orion and cargo icons.

https://i.imgur.com/AHx5lJU.png

Anyway you guys can take it or leave it but the microscopic icons have always annoyed me, so here:
https://mega.nz/file/0Z9gXYAL#pESPPm6dCBZ8i7-FERgLLJuAIVxdoy-3uTzHMb4WUnw

Re: I made a couple tweaks: fixed 3d loadout icons, radar icons
Formidable!

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Nice one. Sometimes even relatively minor changes can make a big difference 👍 
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Those weapons have been bugging me for a very long time. Thanks!

FWIW I prefer the Iceni as the generic Corvette icon. The Deimos icon isn't abstracted enough for my taste.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Thanks all :)

I see your point about the Iceni - I'll probably keep the Deimos one in my own tweaks since the Iceni icon bugs me, but the Deimos's shape doesn't lend itself well to making a simple, readable icon.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Just because there are a couple other models in the FSPort MVPs and in other mods that might like to use this trick, here's exactly what I discovered:

It's the radius and bounding box of the detail0 subobject, not the model as a whole, that matters.

The radius controls the size of the weapon as an icon: FSO seems to be trying to fit the model's radius within the height of the icon (this makes it tiny for the obvious reason). You can set the radius to an incorrect value, about 40%-ish of what it should be, to compensate for this. It usually took me a couple tries to make it look right.

Centering the icon within the rectangle uses detail0's bounding box. This is why the EMP bomb was so off-center - the detail0 is just the glass bit in front, with the rest of the model being a subobject of that. I extended detail0's bounding box back to cover the whole bomb, and the icon moved forwards to fit the rectangle.

Centering vertically is backwards, for some reason. Extending the bounding box downwards will make the icon move downwards inside its rectangle. A few of the models I tweaked have bounding boxes with the bottom bit moved in the opposite way to what you'd expect, because that made it fit correctly.

None of these tweaks to detail0 seem to change the way the model is displayed in its animation, on the side of the window, so don't worry about that.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Cool! I really like what you did with the 3d loadout weapon icons.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Just because there are a couple other models in the FSPort MVPs and in other mods that might like to use this trick, here's exactly what I discovered:

It's the radius and bounding box of the detail0 subobject, not the model as a whole, that matters.

The radius controls the size of the weapon as an icon: FSO seems to be trying to fit the model's radius within the height of the icon (this makes it tiny for the obvious reason). You can set the radius to an incorrect value, about 40%-ish of what it should be, to compensate for this. It usually took me a couple tries to make it look right.

Centering the icon within the rectangle uses detail0's bounding box. This is why the EMP bomb was so off-center - the detail0 is just the glass bit in front, with the rest of the model being a subobject of that. I extended detail0's bounding box back to cover the whole bomb, and the icon moved forwards to fit the rectangle.

Centering vertically is backwards, for some reason. Extending the bounding box downwards will make the icon move downwards inside its rectangle. A few of the models I tweaked have bounding boxes with the bottom bit moved in the opposite way to what you'd expect, because that made it fit correctly.

None of these tweaks to detail0 seem to change the way the model is displayed in its animation, on the side of the window, so don't worry about that.

Does this make any difference to the collision of the missiles in gameplay?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
The tech models are only used in the loadout screen; in gameplay, the model is the low-poly version which I haven't touched. So it shouldn't make any difference unless someone has used a tech model as an ingame missile model.

(How does missile/projectile collision work in FSO if, for instance, the missile travels much farther per frame than its bounding box size? I've made extremely fast-traveling weapons before and they still hit very small targets.)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Ah, I must have missed that you were talking about the tech model.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This is good stuff. I'm going to hold off on the icon change pending more opinions, but I'll stick the weapons update in a 4.6.7 patch shortly.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
This is great, but by blowing up the weapon icon images it shows their lack of detail. This probably wouldn’t have been a problem back when we all had 15 inch 4:3 monitors that maxed at 1024(ish) resolution, but on 23 inch and up monitors running at 1080p and above it’s pretty noticeable. #firstworldproblems  :lol:

Just a thought - would they benefit from AI upscale?

Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
These are actual 3D models, so I dunno what you're gonna do with an AI upscale.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Really? I’m talking about the static icons in the load out screen. I thought those were sprites? If not, I guess I lernt something new 👍

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Depending on your FSO settings, those can be actual image icons (retail's are blue outlines of the rough weapon shape) or sprites generated from the 3D model you see in the full weapon view on the right of the screen in weapon select.

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
Even then, AI Upscale can't magically add more detail where there previously was none. It makes existing details sharper, but doesn't add anything in of itself.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
The issue with the weapon icons is that there's no lighting on them - this was always the case, but it's much more apparent if the icons are the proper size. I won't say "this should be easy to implement" because I know nothing in FSO is ever easy to implement :P

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
 :bump:

Sorry to pester, but the destroyer and cargo icons are still surrounded by a mysterious box:

the radar-capital.dds and radar-cargo.dds files in my link in the first post should fix this! ;7