Author Topic: Terraforming  (Read 12573 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Of course, that would then only bring up the issue of the power grid that energizes that entire structure.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Online Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, you could build your own swarm of uber-Lucifers at that rate.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Bathe the node in a single perpetual beam that will fry anything.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Qent

The Shivans might have over eighty paraterraformed moons... or a shielded one! :shaking:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Shivans might have over eighty paraterraformed moons... or a shielded one! :shaking:
Which move around and blow up planets.

Wait what?

Offline mr.WHO

Why we don't stick with a lot of domed lunar cities? I mean a small 20-40 km domes that wouldn't be visible from space (exept the night city lights).

Such thing would be easier to build, maintain and protect (you can just put a few "anti-meteor" defence systems around the city).
Moreoever if you can create and maintain a 1 g gravity in 20km large ship, then you can add 2/3 g (to Luna's 0.3 g) to 20km large city (or at least it's buildings).

The whole concept of planetary size domes is just rudiculous and lead nowhere but flame war, someone even said that it's not Inferno anymore - such discredit is stupid, I mean discredit whole mod because ONE background image ?!  WFT someone overreacting :).

I still think that terraforming Venus instead of Luna would be better, but if it needs to be Luna, then small domes should do the work.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The whole concept of planetary size domes is just rudiculous and lead nowhere but flame war, someone even said that it's not Inferno anymore - such discredit is stupid, I mean discredit whole mod because ONE background image ?!  WFT someone overreacting :).
You obviously missed quite a lot of stuff. Huge changes have been made to Inferno lately. For better or for worse (hopefully for the better).

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
The funny part is that these aren't even bitmaps.

The Luna and Mars pics I posted a few days ago are meant for storytelling purposes. Mars as we see it in that pic dates back to the 2200, pretty much one century after terraforming got started (and if you think that one century isn't enough to bring Mars to that level, do some research). The Luna pic has a more uncertain dating because there hasn't been a detailled planning on that subject (things will change, however). That pic may show Luna anytime between the 2370s and 2390s.

Anyway, a very detailled explanation is on its way. I'm asking starwolf1991 to do some polishing to make it more readable and I'm also adding the necessary quotes from a couple of canon table entries and cutscenes to underline references to canon.

You will realize how plausible "the new Inferno" is. Just wait 1-2 days and let starwolf do his job. I will start a separate thread for that because I want as many people as possible to read the explanation and realize that the new Inferno continuity is strongly based on a) canon, b) the old continuity and c) Science. There's been a lot of work in the planning phase to make everything as much as believable as possible: as I said, we're not doing things for the sake of coolness. There's quite some reasoning behind them.

I'd say to wait before posting any more comments. Wait until you see the upcoming thread. Thanks.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Right. Looking forward to the exposition. :yes:

Offline mr.WHO

I was against the Luna domes, but the explenation in the other topic seems somehow resonable (more or less). Anyway looking forward to INF:SA :)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Which move around and blow up planets.

Wait what?
[SW4]That's no moon...[/SW4] :nervous:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I have a question.  ... Which is easier?

A) covering a moon in domes with support for artificial atmosphere etc.
B) creating a weapons platform the size of a small moon capable of destroying planets

Now, according to popular reasoning:  The Imperials pwn Shivans.  Therefore, the Rebels pwn all.

The end.   :P

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
A is many billion times easier to do than B for many reasons (materials, maintenance, ease of repairs, etc.etc.).
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
A is many billion times easier to do than B for many reasons (materials, maintenance, ease of repairs, etc.etc.).

Not actually sure about that. Each dome is an incredibly complex piece of machinery - one we don't have working in the modern day - and if you could build such a dome you could mate two of them in orbit and put some weapons on it and have a battle station the size of a small moon (moons do get pretty small, and those domes are huge.)

So I think B is actually a few orders of magnitude easier than A.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Materials. Different materials, different complexity, possible use of advanced bionengineering to let NatureTM build the domes, electronics, etc.etc. At least in INF, A is far easier to achieve than B. But still, the previous discussion showed that we don't have the same concept of "dome" and "Nanotech" in our mind. You think domes are masterpieces of incredible complexity, I think they're not because that would make worldhousing the Moon unplausible (so, if worldhousing of that magnitude is possible, it has to be done with cheap materials). You think Nanotech can do X and makes Y possible, but I think it can only do Z. In poor words, it's almost as if we speak two different languages.

My sincere invitation is stop discussing Luna's domes in Inferno until a proper description is published. Discussions on Nanotech are still welcome, anyway. I've quite a few ideas about it, solving all the (apparent, mind) inconsistencies, but I currently have to work on something else. This thread is about terraforming in general, so if you guys have something to say about it just say it.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Sure, sounds good.