Author Topic: XCOM is back!  (Read 9738 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Through force of habit we'd all model Freespace stuff. . . . .

Seeing a Sath getting shot down over London and battling shivans may seem fun. . . . . But they have beam cannon faces and pointy wristwatches. 
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
How about helping them out produce content for the game instead?

The UFO:AI devs get a bit asshatty. I know there was once an offer of major help if they would put in in-mission saves for the casual players, but this is apparently regarded as heresy. I'm not a save-scummer myself, but that'd be my condition for assisting as well.

Xenonauts is being professionally made.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Missions are short, so in-mission saves aren't a necessity. FS doesn't have them, so?
It was their design decision and you should respect it.

There's nothing unprofessional about saying "no" to your suggestions. It clashes with their vision.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
WTF? The original game had in-mission saves. They should totally be allowed. :wtf:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

There's nothing unprofessional about saying "no" to your suggestions.

It depends on how they go about saying 'no'.

Professional:  "We understand the nature of your request, but feel that our efforts are better directed toward other challenges at this time."
Unprofessional:  "Casual players?  They can learn to play the damn game or **** right off."

I don't know how the UFO:AI devs chose to say it, but to assume one way or the other is a mistake.

Also, some X-COM missions took a hell of a long time.  Consider raiding landed battleships, terror missions, attacking alien bases, and defending your own bases.  Those would all take place on huge maps, with loads of aliens.  If UFO:AI is going to implement larger missions, it'd be kind of them to provide a means to stop in the middle to eat/sleep/work for the people who aren't quite hardcore enough to prioritize those things behind a video game.

Offline mxlm

It was their design decision and you should respect it.
There's no reason to respect poor decisions.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Before this turns into a stupid arguement.

They're making the game, It's their baby, They can choose how they make it.

Anyway........I'm not a fan of this new one as there is no jetpack armour.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
WTF? The original game had in-mission saves. They should totally be allowed. :wtf:

There's no should.
UFO: AI isn't a X-Com copy, there's nothing that's "supposed" to be in there. Unless it's in the design document. Which it wasn't.

Understand that I love in-mission saves myself, but this "it totally should be in there because I say so, and not doing it my way is completley wrong" mentality irks me to no end.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I don't know how the UFO:AI devs chose to say it, but to assume one way or the other is a mistake.

That depends which dev you're talking too. Winter is the more vocal and explosive one.
They don't want to change that because that's not how they envisioned the game. It's really that simple. It's THEIR vision. Their game.

It's planned and waiting for a model. I made one for them, but it still needs to be UV mapped and animated. Not that I'm gonna do it, I just sent the mesh their way.

There's no reason to respect poor decisions.

Why is it a poor decision?
I've played many a games without in-mission saves. It's a welcome feature that makes the game easier, but it's far from a game-breaker. I've yet to see a game tank because it didn't have in-mission saves.

They don't want to change that because that's not how they envisioned the game. It's really that simple. It's THEIR vision. Their game.

Not contesting that.  There's just no need for any of them to be an ass about how that message is conveyed.  "Vocal and explosive," aren't exactly adjectives that scream professionalism.

It's planned and waiting for a model. I made one for them, but it still needs to be UV mapped and animated. Not that I'm gonna do it, I just sent the mesh their way.

I think he was referring to the 2k X-COM shooter, not UFO:AI.

Anyway, regarding my previous rationale for in-mission saves, I have some more rookies to grind into the walls of a battleship.  ;)

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I can't find the E3 bits yet.

However I can find Noah Antweiler reacting to it by screaming, at the top of his lungs, "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTRRRRAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!" on the show floor at E3, so I'm not very hopeful.

A Feddie Story

Watched Spoony's E3 videos last night, myself.  I think he might have hated 2k's X-COM more than that horrible hotel.

The sad thing is, I think X-COM could have served as the basis for a really good survival-horror FPS.  My dream X-COM game is a remake of the original with a prompt before each tactical mission:  "Lead from the base, or lead from the ground?"  Working from be base causes the mission to play out as the original, a turn-based strategy.  Leading from the ground would put you in the shoes of the ranking X-COM officer, to lead the squad through the mission.  And just imagine how badass that could be!  Disembark from the Skyranger into the inky darkness of a nighttime terror mission.  Breach a supply ship, whilst praying that the Sectoid leader onboard doesn't break the mind and will of the Sergeant covering your back.  Try to stay a step ahead of that damned Chryssalid and the zombies that used to comprise half your squad, while you decide to either retreat or make a final stand.  Watch on the monitor in your quarters, as your interceptor makes a final pass against a battleship before Ethereals begin to pour forth and make a beeline for your base's access lift.  Even if only the shooter option existed, it'd capture the much vaunted immersion, and feel in nearly every way right to have the X-COM name attached.

2k doesn't even seem to be trying, though.  So far, their shooter really does look like a reskinned, open-air Bioshock.  The custom weapons, the 1950's setting, all of it looks more at home in a Bioshock title than an X-COM game.  If someone leaks a list of available plasmids in the game, I'll be totally unsurprised.  They've offered no connection to the original, and I'm reasonably sure that had an invasion in the '50's reached the magnitude shown in the trailer, there'd be some more canon events in the X-COM timeline between the Roswell crash in 1947 and the alien escalation in 1997.  Everything 2k claimed as an homage to UFO Defense feels very much like VATS did in Fallout 3 - a hollow attempt to placate fans, while they make a game that does not follow on with the rest of the series at all.

I'll probably do with 2k's X-COM what I should have done with Bethesda's Fallout 3 - skip it.  I'll grant, 2k is a hell of a lot more compotent than Bethesda, but I just can't abide another one of my favorite classics being reduced to a title to be exploited.  Why couldn't XCOM be called It Came from Outer Space!!! or something similar (and probably shorter)?  Give the '50's shooter a '50's name and leave the X-COM brand alone, until you're ready to do it properly, 2k.

The sad thing is, I think X-COM could have served as the basis for a really good survival-horror FPS.  My dream X-COM game is a remake of the original with a prompt before each tactical mission:  "Lead from the base, or lead from the ground?"

I once read about Hidden and Dangerous 2 handeling things the same way: It allowed you to switch freely between first person and an strategy UI.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I have to agree with Blue Lion. I can think of at least a few good ways to think of an X-Com shooter. I've already mentioned SWAT4: detail-heavy and incredibly unforgiving. Some of the original Aliens vs. Predator games had elements of the proper paranoia an X-Com shooter would need.

So in short, could you make a decent X-Com shooter? Absolutely. It would be dark, creepy, hard as hell, and owe much to the more frustrating shooters of the last twenty years like the early Rainbow 6 games and SWAT4. It would be the antithesis of everything a casual shooter ever was, forcing the player to think and plan tactically.

Just like the original. And it would be glorious.

A Feddie Story

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
GRAW crossed with AVP 2000 (marine atmosphere) and XCOM Alliance would make my day.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
That's assuming it's actually dark, difficult and tactical.

But that many actually scare off casual players. So I don't hold high hopes.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I was just stating my own ideal recipe for a revival.

But yeah, I agree with ya. Although some nub who's never played the originals may not be that bothered as they'll have no point of reference to scale their expectations / disappointment.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Although some nub who's never played the originals may not be that bothered as they'll have no point of reference to scale their expectations / disappointment.

And this is why I don't get why 2k is using the X-COM name.  They have to know they're alienating the existing fanbase, and because the original is so old and the series so stagnant, brand recognition isn't going to draw in any new players.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like all they've managed to do is ensure that people who enjoy both shooters and X-COM will keep away from this game.

Je :bump:

If anybody's interested and/or didn't know about it, UFO:AI just released v2.3. It's fairly impressive, and supposedly a huge improvement over 2.2.
Here: http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/News

Bang on the money BlueFlames.
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!