Author Topic: Knossos.exe infected by trojan?  (Read 3516 times)

Knossos.exe infected by trojan?
Hello!

I saw an article online about Freespace 2 and the Hard Light community and it sounded like something I'd very much like to join. I bought Freespace 2 from Steam, then came here to get knossos. I followed the link to https://fsnebula.org/knossos/ and downloaded knossos. However, when I started to install it, BitDefender quarantined the executable as it claims it has a ransomware trojan.

I'm uninstalling for now, any chance somebody could check the source and build? I've read recently about chrome extensions that can add malicious code during development.

Thanks!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Knossos.exe infected by trojan?
Knossos is not infected. Your AV is just overambitious and wants you to know how good it is that you use their software instead of someone else's.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Aye. I'm using Eset which has one of the best detection abilities around and it has got no issues. BitDefender must be reporting a false positive. It isn't the first time that happens, some antivirus software tends to quarantine FSO builds just because they are a very rarely used (and reported as safe) .exe files, and there are new builds every couple days.

Also, where was the article that directed you here? Just asking to give a thumbs up somewhere :P
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
:welcomeblue:

I stopped using BitDefender specifically because it flagged a false positive every time I updated anything with FSO.

Was it this article on Engadget?
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Thanks, I've been thinking of moving to MalwareBytes anyway. I just need to be very careful, have too much stuff I can't afford to lose (yes, I back up).

The article was on engadget:  https://www.engadget.com/2020/03/04/freespace-2-knossos-mods-irl/

Thanks again!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hello!

I saw an article online about Freespace 2 and the Hard Light community and it sounded like something I'd very much like to join. I bought Freespace 2 from Steam, then came here to get knossos. I followed the link to https://fsnebula.org/knossos/ and downloaded knossos. However, when I started to install it, BitDefender quarantined the executable as it claims it has a ransomware trojan.

I'm uninstalling for now, any chance somebody could check the source and build? I've read recently about chrome extensions that can add malicious code during development.

Thanks!

A good tool for times like this is VirusTotal, which shows you how about 50 different detection engines rate a file.  You can either upload, or copy+paste a URL for it to scan.