Poll

Have you ever managed to avenge the Colossus?

You bet!  I sent that Sathanas to a fiery grave, and not the supernova!
1 (4.8%)
Tried and failed... DAM that "Big Dammage" flag!
3 (14.3%)
Never tried... I already knew about the "Big Dammage" flag!
1 (4.8%)
Never even crossed my mind.
16 (76.2%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: October 10, 2003, 01:30:14 am

Author Topic: Have You Ever Managed to Avenge the Colossus?  (Read 9927 times)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Have You Ever Managed to Avenge the Colossus?
I just had really bad memories of taking down the Hades in ST. Please excuse me. :D

(Oh, and I've never avenged her. Sorry ;))
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Originally posted by LLivingLarge

I meant Helii... Besides, I don't know why in hell that one particular time the Sath kept firing it's MAIN BEAMS (not fighter beams) at my wingmen.

Helios is greek, so the correct plurar wouldn't be Helii, but Helioi, or Heliois, Heliou or Helioon.

but that's wierd, main bemans going after fighters, must be some bug....
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
"Command, we have emerged fom subspace in a large debris field."
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
The Phoenicia gets destroyed every time I play that mission.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
This Phoenicia thing makes my angry, because in Renegade Ressurgence, the player will be assigned to that ship :(.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Then you should have used a different ship! :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Phoenicia goes down to 3% each time then warps

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I've seen it die sometimes and survive other times. The damage done by beams does include a random element and the Phoenicia is right on the borderline where the random element can be the decider.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by karajorma
Then you should have used a different ship! :D

I knew that the Phoenicia is sure to survive when I decided to put it in game.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Originally posted by redsniper
The Phoenicia gets destroyed every time I play that mission.

Seconded.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Well, from the results it seems that only one of you has ever avenged the Collossus and taken out the Sathanas that destroyed it.  I myself cannot make such a claim, although I came very close on 2 occasions, each failing for different reasons.  In any case, as promissed, I will now post my method for destroying this vessel, without resorting to cheats, table edits, missions edits, or any other alterations... although flying under Open is allowed.

1- Ship & Loadout.  Make sure to select a ship that can carry a decent amount of Trebuchets.  My personal selection is the Ares with 2 Kaysers, 4 Maximx, 2ndary bank 1 with Tornadoes, 2ndary bank 2 with Trebs.

2- Don't be too good.  Basically, ensure you lose all of your Alpha-mates and all of Beta wing.  This will call in Gamma fighters and Delta heavy bombers.  Delta wing will be carying Cyclops (or some other lighter bomb), that have the "Big Dammage" flag associated with them... I think you know where I'm going with this.

3- Keep Delta Away.  To avoid them taking any dammage, avoid giving Delta wing any orders to engage.  You'll want them intact when the Sathanas arrives, so don't put them in any danger.

4- Countermand Command.  When the Collossus goes down, Command orders everyone to withdraw.  You want as many fighters to remain as possible, so with cleaverly timed orders to your team, you can get them to ignore the order to depart.  Giving them cycling orders to attack, ignore, form on your wing, all while the Collossus is getting thrashed and command tells everyone to clear out, is the best way.

5- Form up & Send 'em home.  You don't want all your bombers to die because they decided to follow their "programing" and attack the Sathanas, so tell 'em all to form up.  If there are any other craft in the area, Gamma wing or other fightres, tell 'em all to depart.  Their weaponry is useless in taking down the juggernaught, and in the long run they'll just cause troubles taking up rearming priority over the bombers.

6- Treb & Load, Treb & Load.  You'll need to cycle your time accelerate and decelerate alot, as it takes 4 Trebs to take out even the weakest turrets on a Sathanas.  The maximum number of Trebs you can carry in bay 2 of an Ares is 13, so you'll need to rearm quite often.  As you take out cannons, you'll need to circle the Sathanas to take out those weapons that are out of perspective.  Remember to stay at least 3K away from the nearest turret, or you could lose a bomber.

7- Release The Hounds!  With the Juggernaught disarmed and with no scripted orders to withdraw, she is a sitting duck.  You will however have to manage your resources.  I find its best to have 2 bombers stay on your wing and order the remaining 2 to attack either the same subsystem or 2 that are near each other.  This way they'll have quick access to a support ship when they run out of bombs.  If a ship needs a rearm and doesn't get it for a certain amount of time, it will fly away from its target and won't come back until you order it to.

8- Play Dead.  None of your weapons will help in the long run, so the best thing you can do is watch over the bombers so they don't do anything stupid.  If you keep depleting your own weapons load and calling for a rearm, you'll delay them in getting their rearms and slow the process.

9- AI is stupid.  When bombers have taken out a subsystem and need a new target, its better to get them to form on your wing first.  If the next target is behind a piece of hull, the AI will try to fly through that hull and possibly compromize its own in the process.  Allways lead your bombers like sheep through safe passages to an optimum firing position, then let 'em attack.  Also be sure to call for a rearm while you're repositioning the bombers, so that the support ship will be nearby when your bombers have to ask for a rearm.  Otherwise, you might run into the wall thing again (:D).

10- Watch... real fast.  Even at 4x speed, just watching the bombers go after the Sathanas will take the better part of an hour.  Make sure you've got the time in the REAL world to kill for this, 'cause if you don't watch it you just might end up missing breakfast, lunch, and supper, and nearly having to arrive at work unshowered, unshaven, and late (long story), like a certain person I know. :nervous: :rolleyes: :D

If you follow these instructions (and don't have a copy of FS_Open that has a tendancy to crash on this mission) you should be able to turn that Sathanas into a debris field before your next mission.  Its all in a day's work for a GTVA pilot.  Of course, you won't get credit for the kill, but you'll know you've earned it through adherence to this above method.

Now you know the proceedure... KILL, KILL, KILL!!!!

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Wow, you've really thought this out, huh? ;) I promise I'll give it a go the next time I'm running through the main campaign. Maybe by the time they've got a stable HT&L build up. :D
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Razor

Ok here's my idea. Put something on the ALT button that will fire trebuchets and make something that would constantly press C 5 to get rockets and encrease game speed to 4x. Go to sleep and when you wake up, you will see SJ crap flying all around ya. ;7

I destroyed the sathanus, but i had to smile when it took out the colossus in a few minutes . Awsome stuff :yes:
--------------------------

Sig

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by Razor
Ok here's my idea. Put something on the ALT button that will fire trebuchets and make something that would constantly press C 5 to get rockets and encrease game speed to 4x. Go to sleep and when you wake up, you will see SJ crap flying all around ya. ;7

Nice idea, but it won't work... the Treb has no "Big Dammage" flag or whatever it is that allows only bombs, beams, cap-ship guns and perhaps ramming to take out anything larger than a cruiser, ie. corvette and up.

Later!

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Never destroyed the Sath, Phoey makes it out most of the time

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
Nice idea, but it won't work... the Treb has no "Big Dammage" flag or whatever it is that allows only bombs, beams, cap-ship guns and perhaps ramming to take out anything larger than a cruiser, ie. corvette and up.

Later!

Yes it does! I've taken out corvettes with trebs before.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Humm... just looking through my table file shows the following flags for the Treb:  ( "player allowed" "Bomber+" "huge").  The flags for the Cyclops and Helilos are ( "Bomb" "Huge" "No Dumbfire" "player allowed" ).  Which is the active flag for this kind of thing?  I'm afraid I haven't delved into this kind of thing much.

Later!

"huge"

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Sathanas FELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:devil:!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!