Author Topic: Huge mobile repair ships or somthing like that...!  (Read 9085 times)

Offline c914

• www.scfi.pl
Huge mobile repair ships or somthing like that...!
Idea of huge mobile repair platform is great. Im wiodering that coders can create small ships ( part of big repair ship ) whose would fly around repered ship??( some flag in tables or something else :doubt:  )

BTW is there a ability in FRED Open that repeir ship can ony repeir 25% of hull:confused:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
There's no single SEXP that can do it but with a little creative SEXPing you can do it even with retail FS2
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
If the GTVA had the money and the resources to make a huge, heavily armed and armored repair ship, why not make a destroyer with repair capabilities instead?

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Personally, something corvette sized able to dock with a capship and repair subsystems but not the hull would be a good idea. Repair time depends on the total HP of the subsystems.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
zako, We Zakos used to work for the Dark Axis, zako, but since the defeat of the Dark Axis, we live and work in Neotopia, zako.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Shut up Lib :p

Originally posted by Ace
Personally, something corvette sized able to dock with a capship and repair subsystems but not the hull would be a good idea. Repair time depends on the total HP of the subsystems.

Don't transports currently do that >.>

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
It's asking for something that can be done (quite easily) in FRED.  The point is not "can I have this in FSO" but rather "why has no one made a ship like this yet?"
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Actually in WW2 they had mobile shipyards...those things looked like couple of large ships weldedd together with lot's of cranes and steel bars... They could even lift a warship out of the water....
*with water-air chambers...allmost like a sub...*
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well from mi campaign story and timeline poin of view...I think thats corectli said....it is posible since everithing takes place more then 50 years after Capella and the GTVA is now known as the GTVF....F form federation.And by the way nano-organic armour plating for ships exists...in my campaign story...fisrst it was nanotech armour...then after stealing the organic armour tech from the shivans they improved it and made it nano-organic armour.:p .
And by the way if the GTVA had the resources and tech. for this thing I believe it would of been done but since they were busi making that piece of junk Colossus wich was not designed to battle a ship of equal size and bugger firepower(that is whi I believe the Colossus failed so miserabli in confrunting with a shivan juggernaut.That Thing was ment to battle multiple destroyers and destroing them.With a few modifications the Colossus could of stud its ground against a  juggernaut..just add more armour reduce the size of its fighterbay a lot..and add more BFG and the juggernaut would of been toast..!
(a lot more armour and at least 8 BFG).
BTW since when doas FS2 have 50+ missions.?????????
I saw it an Amazon.com thei ahve the game for sale and its rated the best sim of the year...?????
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Spell checker? Please?
Anyway, that's your campaign, so why don't you just make it yourself? :D :p

Since when does _your_ campaign constitute as canon? :wtf:

Anyways, I wonder if a "healing beam" can be implemented using SEXPs.  You could give a ship with a beam and tell, it to fire in a direction the ship you want to heal is, make the damaged ship invulnerable just before this and heal it using the heal SEXP, then remove the invulnerability.

I dont think that would be a really good idea...

And we have Lamda Transports to come out and do field repairs, and they also make MUCH smaller targets for enemy fire, but also weaker.

The Argo tansport has 10,000 hull, right? Yeah, I remember after looking over the tables...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
I think someone has already thought of this, as I remember reading something like that on a campaign site... I just can't remember which one.  I remember that its tech description that it was concieved post-Capella because of what happenned to the Collossus, and its fighter bay being down.  The argument was that with one of these, they could have repaired the Collossus much more quickly so its fighterbay would have been functional for "Their Finest Hour".

I found it.  Its on the Twisted Infinities page listed as the Orestes Repair Vessel.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Noise

• http://www.geocities.com/noiseball2000/itdoh.html
I've got Trashman's mobile shipyard.  Quite impressive, some custom work he did for my campaign.  It will be used in Chapter 4 of my campaign, you can check out my site in the new weapons/ships section.
"The point of war is not to die for your country, the point is to make some other poor bastard die for his."

Into to the Depths of Hell Campaign Site
www.geocities.com/noiseball2000/itdoh.html

Offline redmenace

Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Talk about your "Hard Target"s, I count at least two destroyer class beams on that bad boy.  Very heavily armed for a mobile shipyard.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
it's actually just a small tritonish sized repair vessel in dire need of a HTL facelift and a retexture. :D
i made it ages ago, before i could do much in the way of modeling. it is actually a very poorly implimented model atm compared to my current ones, but i havn't found the time to fix it just yet - got another fairly important vessel to build first.
it is second on my priority list tho. :)

the idea behind it is that it can carry spare parts and repair crews to a damaged ship very quickly (3 banks of powerful engines), and can tow anything below cruiser size out of the battle if need be. not really a mobile shipyard tho. basicly just a support ship for capital vessels.

and as for being a hard target, well, not really - the yellow circle thing at the back is the small secondary dockpoint, and the other one is just a little AAAF. ;) it more relies on it's speed and medium armour to keep it out of trouble when on it's own, and the firepower of the ship it is docked with when it is towing something :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Which reminds me...Noise...now that DOTA is scrapped you can have everything you want from my arsenal!:D
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline redmenace

I think it should be atleast as large as a orion legnth wise. However, I doubt that the GTVA would have less that 5 or 6 and have them kept in key systems such as Epsilon pegasi, antares and so one. Only at major nodes for quick deployment.
I also don't think they would be able to have help the collosas. I think the fighter bay would have needed some serious work.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat