Author Topic: Problems with Freespace2 installation. Please Help!!  (Read 7840 times)

Offline knn

Problems with Freespace2 installation
Basically, Start-Run-Regedit.exe
Then on the left, click on HKey_Current_User (you don`t need to delete things from hkey_classes_root, and that part is quite huge anyway)
Then Edit-Find, Type in Freespace2 and delete everything that`s found
Pray that your machine works after that :) Just kidding
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 06:48:03 pm by 2301 »
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Offline knn

Originally posted by Gapie
Hmm if you dont know what that means I wouldnt do it if I were you.
Could kinda screw up your windows
 :sigh:

Nah, that`s just M$ bulls*** like damaging your hard drive if you power off before shutting down. I have a 1996 Pentium laptop with a 2 gig HDD and it has not one damaged bit on it. If you delete everything that`s Freespace2, you won`t screw up windows. Just don`t delete anything else. BTW, download Regedit Plus before you do this http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,93433,00.asp
just in case, it can undo and everything
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Offline kie-san

Fixed reg, now what?

Offline Gapie

Hmm, you do have a point. Still, its not for noobs :)

@ kie-san

Try to install again.

Offline knn

Originally posted by kie-san
Fixed reg, now what?

There shouldn`t be a Freespace2 in Add or Remove programs. If there is, you did stg wrong and didn`t delete the uninstall information. If there isn`t, try to install

Offline knn

Originally posted by Gapie
Hmm, you do have a point. Still, its not for noobs :)

He`s got to learn it someday, and it isn`t that difficult anyway, you just have to kow what`s where and what should be left as it is

Offline kie-san

tried installing again (the FS2 was out of the add/remove) error showed up again, INstallsheild Engine has encountered a problem & needs to close. WE are sorry...blah blah blah, and closed setup

Edit: Guys....chill out

Offline Gapie

We're chilling :) We're not flaming each other. But Meh.. try removing the C:\Games\Freespace2 folder, check for FS2 keys in the register again and restart windows. Perhaps that ll work.

Offline kie-san

Did the regedit and deleted the folder....Again. I guess restarting will work.

Offline kie-san

That didn't work

Offline Gapie

I'm running out of options :confused: Do a Register wide search for FS2 , and if it that doesnt work I dont know what to do :shaking:

Offline kie-san

it's not the reg, it quits during installing. IT did it the first time I tried installing

Offline Gapie

Well obviously something went wrong. Do a system wide search for files that were modified @ the first time of your install. Check which ones have something to do with FS2, and delete those. Then try again.

Offline kie-san

Crap...I don't know when I first installled

Offline kie-san

what kinds of files should I delete if I find them?

Offline Gapie

hmm anything you are sure of is freespace 2 related. and do NOT delete files that are in the C:/Windows folder, except if you are 100% sure the installer placed it there, ie. FS2uninstall.dat or something.

Offline kie-san

well that didn't work anyway. Is there anyone you know that could help since you said you're pretty much out of ideas?

Offline kie-san

I'm updating INstallshield because that's what is always popping up

Offline Gapie

I dont know at all. Perhaps you have a system restore point you could go  back to before installing FS2, but thats a last resort option. You'd lose a lot of other stuff then i guess :(

Offline kie-san

That probably won't do it. Is there a different way of installing it instead of an Iso?

Note: The Install breezes through and gets to around 60% in about a minute then the Installshield engine error shows up, asking to send an error report to Microsoft, then the setup closes after the error window closes. Also it nevers asks to change disks or anything
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 08:15:34 pm by 2928 »