Author Topic: All those Sathanas???  (Read 9716 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Re: All those Sathanas???
I don't think the size of the mission in FRED is supposed to be accurate, nor is the cutscene, :v: knew their physics was FUBAR, but they didn't care, because frankly, it really doesn't matter, in order to have suspension of dibelief, you need to be willing to not consider physics too carefully.

Well, if you judge by the explosion cutscene (yes I KNOW it is incorrect at certain points) The Vega node was quite a bit farther out than the ringed giant.

That's the only source, unfortunately, that we have. I don't remember seeing a ringed giant in-game (did they even have a ringed planet bitmap?).

Actually it's not the only source. Open the mission and look at how big Capella is. Compare that with how big Capella is in the cutscene. The mission is quite clearly taking place closer to Capella than the ringed planet.

The only explaination that really makes sense within canon is that the dual between the two corvettes seen in the ending cutscene  is not taking place at the Vega node but elsewhere in the system.

Or you can say that :v: obviously didn't care about these issues and got several things scientifically wrong in the cutscenes and in the final mission because they were concentrating on making things look cool.

Well, In the second-last mission, You see the Bastion going into the Jump-node in-game. Then you see a cinematic of it going in AGAIN. Meaning, the cinematics can be repeats. Who said the Moloch and Deimos didnt die at the same time you did? And the cinematic could be showing what happened again.
Just don't give away the homeworld...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'd buy that but for one flaw.

There's no Moloch in the final mission.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Suppose the Lemnos killed it before you showed up. :)

And yeah, the cutscene isn't a good source of anything.  In the cutscene, the density of Sathanes and the size of Capella imply that the eighty juggernauts were covering a very, very small section of the star.  On the other hand, the cbani implies that the Sathanes were surrounding it.  For the cutscene to accurately portray the latter, you'd have to have a density so sparse that only one Sathanas would be visible, and a view so close to Capella that the star would appear as a humongous flat plane.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 07:39:12 pm by Goober5000 »

Could the Shivans have been conducting a test of some sort of new technology of theirs, and they underestimated the power of whatever this new device is, so the end result was losing a bunch of expensive, pointy Sathanas?

Oh and yeah, this is my first post here. So if I've violated any sort of forum etiquite, give me hell about it.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Hell is not enough, you will pay with your life!

Begin plasma core insertion, gunnery control, open fire:

Welcome to HLP. Please keep all appendages within the installation at all times. Flamethrowers are located underneath all seats, however, due to the rising cost of oil, the ID / evolution debate (don't debate me on Whether or not there is a debate),V, and the meaning of life, the napalm has been replaced with Holy Water. Plasma rifles are located in the weapons locker, but only Admins,V, or a hyper-intelligent shade of blue have access to these areas. If you meet a Shivan in the ductwork it is most likely Carl, give him your lunch and back away slowly, odds are good you'll be fine. Recommend reading includes Karajorma's Freespace FAQ for general questions, and The Freespace Wiki for specific issues and questions.

17th kill. :)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Could the Shivans have been conducting a test of some sort of new technology of theirs, and they underestimated the power of whatever this new device is, so the end result was losing a bunch of expensive, pointy Sathanas?

Oh and yeah, this is my first post here. So if I've violated any sort of forum etiquite, give me hell about it.

:p

What are you  :p ing about? His theory or his "etiquette"? ;)
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
He posted in my screenshot thread by accident, then Raa found it out, and since it clutters everything up it'll be closed. Sara's was closed a while ago and I was wondering how long it would take before Raa relized he missed mine. :nervous:

Oh man, yeah, sorry about that. I was looking for this topic (I was reading it on another computer that uses a TV as a monitor so the resoultions all screwed up and it's hard to read) and somehow I ended up posting in there, just a mistake. I tried to get rid of it as fast as I could, so as to not confuse anyone, or project the image of a complete idiot whose never set foot, or finger, in a forum before

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Thats O.K.

I remember when I first registered here I went back all the way back to the last page, and posted in the last topic. :(

Major bumpage :P

Offline neoterran

noobs will NOT be tolerated here at HLP....  :p
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Necro Threaddage........  :mad:

I suppose we'll have to start talking about "All those Sathanii" again now.
Point of debate:
Do you believe the Sath fleet was just a small contingent of the shivan whole, Or would it be plausible that it constituted the entire Shivan race?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I tend to lean toward their being a "small contingent". How much crew would a Sathanas have? About 50,000? Multiply by 80 and you get 4,000,000, which is not a very large number, when talking about a race as a whole. It would mean that the Shivans were on the verge of extinction at Capella, and I don't think any of us got that impression from those missions.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Nuclear1

A full eleven days? Yes, ban him, ban him now! :rolleyes:
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain

A full eleven days? Yes, ban him, ban him now! :rolleyes:
:shock and dismay:

There i go forgetting the [sarcasm] tags again........:rolleyes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline ShivanSpS

And yeah, the cutscene isn't a good source of anything.  In the cutscene, the density of Sathanes and the size of Capella imply that the eighty juggernauts were covering a very, very small section of the star.  On the other hand, the cbani implies that the Sathanes were surrounding it.  For the cutscene to accurately portray the latter, you'd have to have a density so sparse that only one Sathanas would be visible, and a view so close to Capella that the star would appear as a humongous flat plane.

Well, yes and not... if you look carefully, you will se an small green effect, on left side of the star.

And yes, there is not a Moloch at the node, those ships could be part of the last convoy that command tells you, and they never arrived... OR MAYBE, wait... remember the cruiser attaking the Moloch from upside before the start blows? well at the next scene they are not there... who assure you that the blowing of the start dint take more time? what happend if when your are playing the last mission those Sathanas already fire the green thing and take some time to blow up the star? Who know... that aeris attacking the Moloch could be the Sparta...

I like this... Is like the  :v: simbol in the Ursa missile bay of the FS1 ending movie :P