Disruptor Advanced
0 (0%)
Shields
9 (10.7%)
Subspace Tracking
46 (54.8%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Voting closed: March 18, 2002, 07:55:54 am

Author Topic: The Most Important Invention Used to Destroy the Lucifer  (Read 8009 times)

Offline Jal-18

The Most Important Invention Used to Destroy the Lucifer
nm

Originally posted by StratComm
You know, there is only one route to Sol, so I don't see why the Bastion would have needed subspace tracking to follow her in.  Or for that matter, why the first fleet couldn't have entered the node from the other side and duked it out in passing.  It's a node, not normal space, so it's not like there was any question where the Lucifer was to go.  Of course, if the ship entering the node needed SS tracking to enter the exact same vector and to be able to engage in combat, then that would be a different story.

I always presumed that was why they needed SST. Consider that a ship has to open it`s own "subspace corridor" to get to another starsystem. You need SSt to find the infinitisimal point it opened for it`s own corridor. Without it you generate your own corridor at the node.

Thats why in FS2 when the dashor and the sekhemet (I think that`s what they were called) jump to stop the shivans, even though they jump at the same time they don`t smash into one another due to travelling in their own corridor.

I wonder though, what happens if you fire a beam cannon in SS? I mean, the idea is they were created to attack the lucifer in future battles so it must damage shields which I presume are subspace bubbles (hence why they don`t work in SS). As SS cocks up shields, what happens to a weapon designed to disrupt them?.... if anything.
You`d need more than a lightsabre to kick a shivans arse!!!

I pick wahoonies for a living! Maybe that why I have no friends,

Offline magatsu1

I doubt if subspace and shields have any relation. Maybe the energy to generate subspace and shields is too much for a fighter. Also I think beams weapons just cut straight through shields (shields make any diff last time you duked it out with a Leviathian ?).
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Yes. I sustained much less damage. Shields, even if they fail to block a blast, will absorb much of said blast's impact. That's why you have half a chance of surviving an AAAf hit.:D
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I'm more concerned as to what happens when you fly into the wall, do you get sucked in or bounce off?

Offline Starks

Originally posted by Liberator
With intersystem drives we would have had nothing capable of intercepting the Lucifer during it's vulnerable period while in subspace.  So all the other things would have been for naught.

Whaddya mean? Just load the Galatea with explosives (no mesons)... The GTA and PVN could've pulled a Bastion Bombing.
Formerly of the Dark Wings and Legion of Apocalypse

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
They didn't know it was vulnerable in subspace until it got to Delta Serp, and if they didn't know it was vulnerable, it would be really stupid to sacrifice a destroyer.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Starks

That very same Bastion blew Gamma Draconis-Capella node to hell...

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
1) The Bastion and the Galetea are two different ships. :wtf:

2) The Bastion had already been decomishioned by FS2. There's a difference between blindly sacrificing the pride of the fleet and putting something that would have been scrapped anyways to good use.

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Starks

They are sister ships... The Galatea was stationed in Vega and Betelguese, the Bastion in Ribos and Ikeya.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
Did I miss something? I don't remember the two being linked in any other way than you were transferred there after the G's demise...

... Not that that has anything to do with what was being discussed...

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by Knight Templar
Did I miss something? I don't remember the two being linked in any other way than you were transferred there after the G's demise...

... Not that that has anything to do with what was being discussed...

They were not sister ships, but were asigned their own sectors of pace, but would supplement each other with fighters, I.E.Enter the Dragon, where you can call in Delta, but they are "Currently guarding the Bastion."

Beams have nothing to do with this either.:doubt:

Whaddya mean? Just load the Galatea with explosives (no mesons)... The GTA and PVN could've pulled a Bastion Bombing.

The Galatea had been destroyed on Feburary 28th, while the means to destroy the Lucifer were found a month later, leaving only the Bastion to deal with the threat.

* GTD Bastion
* Sirius System
* 3/29/35

The Lucifer
(next command page)
From the records you retrieved in Altair, we have discovered the means to destroy the Lucifer.  As you know, our shield systems do not work in subspace.  The same holds true for the Lucifer.  More importantly, the records contain the information to enable us to track a capital ship into and inside subspace.

The Bastion was too far away from the lucifer to have made any difference in the assult... And the <12 hours between when this breifing was ordered and the Lucifer was destroyed is far to little time to do anything on a large scale...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2003, 08:56:16 am by 681 »
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Originally posted by Hippo

Beams have nothing to do with this either.:doubt:

It was only a ponder.. Sorry for bringing it up in this thread. :nervous:

Originally posted by Hippo

The Bastion was too far away from the lucifer to have made any difference in the assult... And the <12 hours between when this breifing was ordered and the Lucifer was destroyed is far to little time to do anything on a large scale...

Apart from sending the design specs on how to track SS tunnels and order the entire home fleet of earth to intercept the Lucifer upon the bastion`s notificiation that it had entered SS.:D

Originally posted by Woolie Wool
Yes. I sustained much less damage. Shields, even if they fail to block a blast, will absorb much of said blast's impact. That's why you have half a chance of surviving an AAAf hit.:D

Ahhh  but they DO get through and damage your hull.
The weapons they had in FS1 had no chance of getting through the Lucifers Shields. I presume that is why they reverse engineered Beam cannons, to give them a weapon they hoped would damage a lucifer class.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
But they are useful because you don't sustain as much damage. You can survive blasts that can tear your ship to pieces because of shields.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Actually, FS2 original has a bug that the antifighter beams ignores shields altogether.

FS_open has fixed that.

This means the reason you survive antifighter beams is simply because they aren't that strong and are really meant to whack you so that flak can take you down.

Originally posted by ChronoReverse
Actually, FS2 original has a bug that the antifighter beams ignores shields altogether.

FS_open has fixed that.

This means the reason you survive antifighter beams is simply because they aren't that strong and are really meant to whack you so that flak can take you down.

Also if beam cannons are uneffective against shields, why then if a Shivan ANTICAP beam hits you you are vaped instantly.

I think [V] coded in a bit of protection from "friendly" ANTICAP beams as would be annoying for a player trying to protect a capship in battle getting vaped by his own side not looking where they`re beam gunning.

"Damn it Actium, watch the friendly fire!"
"Avoid the beam and you wont get hurt Pilot."
"F*** you command, tell em to wait until I get out of the way! Im risking my life here to protect em!":ha:

Offline BlazeME

I think all of them played an equal part in destroying the lucifer. Without one of them, it wouldn't have been possiable.

Im sure the inventers would like to think it was all their credit.

But I think the invention of pilots and fission engines would be the biggest factor.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)