Author Topic: Freespace 3 Project  (Read 9571 times)

Freespace 3 Project
No, don't get me wrong. This is not some "wacko-fan-based project who hopes to maek a freespace tree using fred lolololol".

Not at all.

I fully intend to acquire the rights to the FS franchise from THQ, and the script from V.

Now.

I know that this is your guys' holy grail, and after waiting so long, you may be a bit jaded. But I am one-hundred-percent serious.

I cannot do this alone. I have already contacted THQ and V about the aforementioned issues, spoken to the legal dept. at THQ. It is, in their words, "a possibility."

What do I require from you?

First and foremost, I am not a rich man. I want somebody to help me with creating a website (or hell, having something even on HL) that I could pimp out to collect donations with.

Secondly, if the first step succeeds, I've only got a few skillsets I can apply to game creation, and the community here being experienced modders could possibly help me out here. I know you guys want to see a FS3. I want to see a FS3.

And if this succeeds, this will be a MAJOR step for game development anywhere- and we will be the pioneers. Once we get a website off the ground, my first order of business will be to pimp out the project everywhere I can- Game Informer, PC Gamer, etc.

We should stop waiting- but first, I need a website for it. Who can help me? (Also note- you can also contact me through email/MSN at [email protected])

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Re: Freespace 3 Project
Incoming beams in 3... 2... 1...

Incoming beams in 3... 2... 1...

Laugh all you want, I'm dead serious :D

No, this crazy sumbeech is serious
My friend Solus is not one for long posts. He is, rather, a man of action, as evidenced by the fact that he's already made those phone calls. Apperently the head of the legal department won't be back till Tuesday, but he did confuse the THQ receptionist. :p

Given this, allow me to elucidate Solus's plans a little bit:

THQ is not in the best financial straights, and Freespace as a franchise doesn't have quite the promise of huge bucks as it once did- and this is before considering the fact that the entire space dogfight genere has been a dark horse since after the Wing Commander era. Witness the thread right below this one about how "Space games being dead." Getting THQ to part with the Freespace franchise for a low amount, or even a percentage of any profits, is not entirely out of the question.

Volition is another matter; the denizens of this forum are probably more familiar then I on how willing they would be to divulge to the new devteam their FS3 plots and preliminary writings.

As for the devteam: the making of Freespace 3 is not likely to be a tremendous financial success, but it would garner some attention, especially seeing as it'd essentially be an indie team taking over a well known, if "old school," franchise. FS has always had a legend bigger then it's actual profit potential. That kind of thing appeals directly to advanced university students in the field of game design, and perhaps recent grads, hoping to make their names known and break into the industry. They would certainly have the skills, and the motivation to work on a project that would garner them recognition, which would probably be more incentive then the inevitable contract for a percentage of any potential earnings.

If some reasonably dedicated volunteers with the proper motivation could be pulled together, a website for co-ordination and PR assembled, and a legal company made, getting attention from (some of the smaller) gaming magazines might not be out of the question.

Actually making the game is, of course, a whole can of worms on it's own. But lets take this brainstorm one step at a time.

Those of you who have actually made game mods are likely executing epic facepalms at the moment, since you know just how hard it is to keep a mod project alive, to say nothing of a devteam for a whole new product. Your input in this matter I expect to be especially crucial. Managing a project is just as vital as finding talent.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 07:14:10 pm by Demetrious »

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
*munches popcorn*

Cause that's all this is going to be, good entertainment.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I don't think it'll ever be FS3 if :v: doesn't make it, and I'd rather see the game released as open source completely. I'm behind you, but not for FS3. I don't think it'd be FS3, and it would nullify the work of all involved in FSO campaigns. (all of these post-Capella campaigns would become non-canon.)
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

I don't think it'll ever be FS3 if :v: doesn't make it, and I'd rather see the game released as open source completely. I'm behind you, but not for FS3. I don't think it'd be FS3, and it would nullify the work of all involved in FSO campaigns. (all of these post-Capella campaigns would become non-canon.)

We both know V is not going to make it. I do, however, intend that if we manage to make it to that point, to make it completely open-source. I think that it's even possible that if I could acquire the rights from THQ, that V would be more than willing to help. It's their baby, even more so than ours.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You are doomed.

You shall be cast into the void that awaits Derek Smart and all like him!

(You think I'm kidding, hmm? Sucker.)

EDIT: Actually, you're quite wrong. Without the involvement of :v: this is, and will forever be, some whacko fan project.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

You are doomed.

You shall be cast into the void that awaits Derek Smart and all like him!

(You think I'm kidding, hmm? Sucker.)

EDIT: Actually, you're quite wrong. Without the involvement of :v: this is, and will forever be, some whacko fan project.

Hehehehe, is Derek Smart the guy that did the Battlecruiser games?

In any case, I am truly hoping that I can get some people at :v: involved. Like I said, that's one of the things that I'd love to see happen.

Wacko, maybe. But cast your mind to the person who called a coin toss for the side, and his friend asked "Why did you call it for the side? There's no way you'll make it!"

Ah, but think of the victory! :D

If you're going to aim anywhere, I'm aiming high.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Hehehehe, is Derek Smart the guy that did the Battlecruiser games?
Go read the classics section.

I completely back the open-source thingy, but I don't think FS3 is a good idea. Simply put: Creative opinion. Not everyone'll have the same ideas, half of them will refuse to work on it on the grounds that :v: isn't making it, and the rest will end up being put under massive amounts of pressure.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Hmmm, I'd like to think of this working, but really, there a few reasons why this is going to fall apart

- Indecision over storyline
- Everyone wanting to have a part

to name a few

One thing I really stress is having the original writers, FRED-ing is something you can recruit a helluva lot of people to do. I personally would rather we start a petition and somehow get 20,000~100,000 signatures, because at least that way it looks like it's going to garner a helluva lot of moneyzz.

EDIT: Cole beat me to it :P

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
This has been discussed many times before, and most people think it'd be a bad idea.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I really think it'll create bad feelings. Full open-source would be nice, but as we've discussed before, not really necessary ATM.

It's good that you're going through the community first, I respect that.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah, but if somehow you do get people from :v: behind you, I'm all for you, because as you might have realised, Volition is the real authority with this. We can't dispute what they do, as you said, this is also their baby.

Hmmm, I'd like to think of this working, but really, there a few reasons why this is going to fall apart

- Indecision over storyline
- Everyone wanting to have a part

to name a few

One thing I really stress is having the original writers, FRED-ing is something you can recruit a helluva lot of people to do. I personally would rather we start a petition and somehow get 20,000~100,000 signatures, because at least that way it looks like it's going to garner a helluva lot of moneyzz.

EDIT: Cole beat me to it :P

Well, again, the two problems you state I really think I could possibly fix. First off, the storyline? Again, like I said, I want to get :v: involved, very much so, even if it is just "buying the script" from them. I think they'd really be more receptive if there was a serious effort towards acquiring the FS3 rights.

Everyone wanting to have a part- that's not quite as easy to fix, however, I hope to keep quality throughout the whole projects with including university students, and my general ability to be a complete asshole and let people know they suck, no, you can't have a part, go away and stay away from my house.

So, I get the general idea that if I can somehow work some magic and get :v: to be behind us, the community here would also support us?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Well yes, if you somehow get all the money, acquire the rights, and manage to get :v: to do it, then power to you. You would have done something worth bragging about.
Though right now it's sounding like a pipe dream more than anything else, IMO.

As for "buying the script", that's assuming they have a script to begin with.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah, keep us updated on the :v: front. As soon as people hear :v: backed it we'll all be behind you.

Well, if they don't, I'll just say they do, and they gave it to me, so there won't be any *****ing about canon/non-canon :D

...well, as long as I can write :p

I should hopefully hear from :v: at the earliest Tuesday, if not, I'll keep you updated. :D

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?

Well, if they don't, I'll just say they do, and they gave it to me, so there won't be any *****ing about canon/non-canon :D

You probably shouldn't have told anyone that, and just do it, if you are going to at all. Though I honestly hope you don't.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Does a game that legally has the name FreeSpace 3 somehow make it better? I'm just unsure what the whole point of this is.

Oh and keep going, this is fun to listen to.

You probably shouldn't have told anyone that, and just do it.

True, but there's always the third option. "**** you guys, we have the rights nao, and we're totally going to ruin the storyline with bad writing"