Author Topic: Checkpoints at jump nodes?  (Read 9850 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Checkpoints at jump nodes?
They are basically BuShips, BuWeps, BuPers, and BuInt all in one.

I just can't imagine this ever being true. The Security Council is one of the three branches of the GTVA government, not a military organ (though it doubtless has military representation.) If it works anything like the IRL Security Council, it's responsible for major strategic decisions, not micromanagement.

I agree with The_E on this one.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I must admit I had the security council pegged as being similar to the American Joint chiefs of Staff judging from the tech room brakedown so more policy orientated rather than plan on the ground.  The_E's explanation sounds better but if the Corvettes were part of the 3rd fleet then surly it's Petrach's call so long as he can justify that his forces wont be exposed by their absence if asked.

For normal operations, I'd agree, but this is a mission where ships go through an old artefact to end up god knows where. Something like that, leading to a possible first contact situation, are a bit beyond what Joe Politician wants Sam Soldier to handle on his own, I think.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
It's worth to notice that deploying two corvettes into an unexplored nebula full of shivans to lure out a destroyer will probably require higher authorization than deployment of jump node blocade... That was quite a risk compared to a blocade (like when the mjolnirs are massacring the NTF). Ask the Lysander how well it worked.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'd buy two wings if you're out in the boonies, but if you're in, say, Capella, I would put big money on Corvette or Destroyer presence at all times.  The simple reason being that there is literally nothing of greater strategic value in any system beyond that jump node except for perhaps shipyards, and then only for select systems.

There's no real reason to deploy heavy forces to the node and expose them to attack. Leaving them back from the node gives you at least a brief window of uncertainty on the part of your opponent as to whether they're even there, and grants greater options for position once action is underway. Two wings is more than enough to provide security against piracy and a tripwire against a major enemy incursion. More heavily populated systems might require more force to protect and scan a larger amount of traffic, maybe.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Solatar

IIRC, two :V: missions take place at the Alpha Centauri node cluster.  There's one in FS1 after Vasuda gets baked, and one in the Templar campaign.

Evidence that suggests these nodes, at least, did not move - relative to each other.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I'd buy two wings if you're out in the boonies, but if you're in, say, Capella, I would put big money on Corvette or Destroyer presence at all times.  The simple reason being that there is literally nothing of greater strategic value in any system beyond that jump node except for perhaps shipyards, and then only for select systems.

There's no real reason to deploy heavy forces to the node and expose them to attack. Leaving them back from the node gives you at least a brief window of uncertainty on the part of your opponent as to whether they're even there, and grants greater options for position once action is underway. Two wings is more than enough to provide security against piracy and a tripwire against a major enemy incursion. More heavily populated systems might require more force to protect and scan a larger amount of traffic, maybe.
I agree. I don't think an older cruiser for show would hurt either, as well as coordinating ship activity (making sure everyone whose been scheduled to jump, has jumped, etc). Although, that could probably be achieved by your two fighter wings, if need be.

Man, that would be a crap detail. You go from blasting Shivans in the Great War to counting freighters at a jump node. :ick:
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Man, that would be a crap detail. You go from blasting Shivans in the Great War to counting freighters at a jump node. :ick:

If I'm on a Fenris I would rather count freighters
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?

Ayup. Freighters don't pose much of a threat to a Fenris, but Shivans sure do.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

Ayup. Freighters don't pose much of a threat to a Fenris, but Shivans sure do.

hence why i would rather count freighters.  Without Alpha 1 a FS1 era Fenris is a big old target against the shivans with only the Aten being a more hopeless warship
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Droid803

The Aten has more hitpoints, thus is more likely to survive being sneezed on by a wing of interceptors.
FS1-era turrets may as well count for jack **** against Shivans.
(´・ω・`)

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
The Aten has more hitpoints, thus is more likely to survive being sneezed on by a wing of interceptors.
FS1-era turrets may as well count for jack **** against Shivans.

and hp is useless unless you can fend of your attackers

Offline Droid803

It lets you run awaaaay.
(´・ω・`)

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
It lets you run awaaaay.

And that's why the Vasudans were winning the T-V war, all of our fighters and cruisers were chasing Atens while the Typhons went for the kill

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
It lets you run awaaaay.

And that's why the Vasudans were winning the T-V war, all of our fighters and cruisers were chasing Atens while the Typhons went for the kill
The Aten goes faster than the Fenris btw. :p
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Since we are kind of on the subject of the Fenris I was wondering if there is gravity on a ship that size. Is there any mention on how they produce gravity?
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
We know there were gravity on Orions at the time of the Great War, and there doesn't seem to be any rotative device on it, so I'd expect artificial gravity to be mastered by Terrans at that point.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Solatar

I feel like I remember an argument where somebody mentioned that V had confirmed there was artificial gravity in ships.

Now that I see that in writing it doesn't look like a very good argument, but I'll try to dig up my source.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I feel like I remember an argument where somebody mentioned that V had confirmed there was artificial gravity in ships.

Now that I see that in writing it doesn't look like a very good argument, but I'll try to dig up my source.

It was aldo, discussing a :v: dev letter in which they confirmed both artificial and anti-grav technologies.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Solatar

Is a copy of any of that extant?

I'm a historian, I like to have sources. :P  Plus, if it gets dug up, we can quickly refer to it in subsequent debates.