Author Topic: game ideas  (Read 12557 times)

Offline Centrixo

Alright i have serveral different plans in the tube. im still going to continue my push to get a campaign created by me on hlp, regardless if i get cursed.

1st: Rise of the NTF, a campaign based on the NTF rebellion, the objective being to help adimral bosch, from the very humble beginnings of the rebels to the end of the rebels, based over 15 years of conflict between the GTA and PVN. you are Ensign Harry Lister you defected to the NTF shortly after hearing the BETAC was signed, you are a member of Zeta squadron based on the NTD Syracuse. the NTD Syracuse man in charge is Commander Muhammad Farisha, an Indian with a temper!.

2nd: Secrets and Lies, a campaign based on the dead GTI and living SOC, you play as Lieutenant Vicard Veers apart of the 67th Vasudan GVI unit, you accepted citzenship as a vasudan because your views on the 'terran effect' were big, you go through the campaign to unravel to sinister going-ons, between the GTVA command, GTI, SOC, HOL and the 'terran effect'.

3rd: Pirate Enclave, you are in the GTVA and you daughter has been killed by pirates, or so you told to think so, but it all appears to more going on than what meets the eye, you play as Ensign Benjamin Harris a pilot with a attitude and a mouthful of words to rival GTVA command!. there is one person who is constantly around Pirate Metal Head(Lieutenant Commander) Yuji Haisho a japanese who doesnt give up.

4th: Relentless Adimral, you play as a fleet adimral that has been stripped of his wing for no reason, you then get involved in a errry sequence of events and a few shocks along the way.

5th: the Vausdan way, 2 years after capella supernova'd you play as a vasudan in his 'baby' the GVB Sekhemt. you are Tab-Sha Reigso'lat-shatu'io (Taab Shhaar Reeigshue elat Shato eleo (prenonced)) a vasudan ensign who is trying emulate his hero late Adimral Khafre, you go through a campaign fighting the way as a Vasudan does and watch your character struggle to meet the requirements needed.

6th: SOC: Behind enemy lines, you play as Lieutenant Jozek (Zero) Domisek a Russian and a close friend of Lieutenant Commander Snipes your objectives are to do everything SOC said, only to find out something is wrong...

There are more. what i would like is serveral people to vote on one and i will create it, i will definatly have the camapaign ready on the 15th of august 2007. but the longer i get replies the further this will be pushed back.

BTW, even if i do get banned i wont stop the development this time you got my word on that.

If there are critical remarks specifically to this thread only, please post them i will think about them (no reply).

BTW the RTD WARS has been dropped and TECHNOLOGY NEMESIS has been dropped, due to insufficant resources and too much hard disk space taken. these campaigns will go onto the hard disk providing i dont do too many creating enteries, or too many high poly models.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 01:21:53 pm by Centrixo »
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

Offline Slime

• Mucous-y
The 5th and 6th are the most interesting of the bunch, but I'll vote for the 5th as it sounds like very original (Sekhmet FTW) and there are never too many vasudan campaigns.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
People are still referred to as 'Russian' and 'Japanese'?  That seems really...unlikely. 

Offline Dysko

IIRC, somebody is already making a campaign named "Relentless".

BTW, I vote for the 1st (NTF, FTW!!!!!!, but as somebody already told you, the NTF Civil War lasts only 18 months) and the 6th (sounds good ;7).
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Centrixo

IIRC, somebody is already making a campaign named "Relentless".

BTW, I vote for the 1st (NTF, FTW!!!!!!, but as somebody already told you, the NTF Civil War lasts only 18 months) and the 6th (sounds good ;7).

Relessless Adimral, renamed. thanks for pointing that out,Darth DySkO.
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

Offline Centrixo

the game idea is now pushed back to the 16th of august 2007. not enough people voted.

Offline neoterran

What ? WTF  :confused:
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
3rd?

Reason:

...a pilot with a attitude and a mouthful of words to rival GTVA command!

Every now and then I read up a post or two about Command's... "stupidity"... in the original campaigns at times... Give them a piece of the pilot's mind maybe... :lol:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Nuclear1

1st is historically inaccurate by a wide margin--BETAC was ratified in 2358.  The NTF Rebellion came around in 2366 (or eighteen months before the campaign begins in 2367).

3rd looks fairly interesting, but I agree with Battuta--it would seem that nationalities would have been erased by the time of FS2, as most people in FS2 tend to revolve around typical American build (accentwise and English being "Galactic Standard").

5th is too vague for me to accurately judge.  More plot other than "you do stuff" would be helpful.  Same with the 6th.

If I had to vote right now, I'd say the 3rd campaign looks the most interesting and least trite.  The others seem like the typical "THERE IS A MASSIVE CONSPIRACY" or "YOU GET TO PLAY AS A VASUDAN!!!!1111"
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

The "playing as a Zod" part doesn't sound half bad to me.

That being said, Campaigns 2 and 5 get my vote. I love conspiracy campaigns.  :) (And Zods :headz:)
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
3rd looks fairly interesting, but I agree with Battuta--it would seem that nationalities would have been erased by the time of FS2, as most people in FS2 tend to revolve around typical American build (accentwise and English being "Galactic Standard").

I dunno; I'm not sure why ethnicity should be removed.  I mean, I'm pretty sure (not having the anis handy to check) the pilot animations feature asian & black pilots, and I don't see a reason why skin colour should exist yet not culture.  Yes - thanks to voice acting requirements more than story intent IMO - we only hear american accents, but that doesn't mean the alternatives don't exist.  Who's to say that the 3rd fleet is not predominantly russian, or chinese?  I'd think it's pretty possible that colonies can be dominated by one ethnicity or culture, and that might be reflected across the fleet/s based in particular areas.  Even if, perhaps, the accents and customs are along the lines of, oooh, 'Beta Aquilean' rather than American (etc).

(actually, I'd even suggest nationality-type differences could be pronounced in FS-era - I mean, there'd surely be a lot of people who never travel from planet to planet, and colonies might be even more insular than modern countries....)

Plus, of course, giving a 'nationality' to a pilot forms a good template for the character and - crucially - allows some fruity foreign language swearies in ala Firefly. ;)

(admittedly, at one point Reci had a foul-mouthed russian pilot, so I have an attachment to that idea :D)

Offline Nuclear1

Plus, of course, giving a 'nationality' to a pilot forms a good template for the character and - crucially - allows some fruity foreign language swearies in ala Firefly. ;)

Well, two different storylines I suppose.  Firely was intended as the two superpowers on Earth sending colonies out, hence the blend of American and Chinese cultures (that, and to fit in with the Western theme).  FS2's Terrans may have developed differently, with maybe the American/Western ethnicity and nationalities taking over.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Given that people still refer to themselves as English and Scottish 300 years after the Act of Union I see no reason why people wouldn't still use national distinctions that exist now 300 years in the future. The countries may have disappeared 300 years from now but it takes a lot longer for a national identity to vanish while travel times still provide a restriction.

About the only thing I could see causing all national identities to vanish in 300 years is widespread use of very fast transport (like teleportation) which would have the effect of homogenising the world since you could live and work anywhere. Well that or WWIII :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Think about it.  Lots of people living under a common government.  Sure, they might not travel a lot, but they interbreed.  It's just like the modern America, except there isn't anywhere else for immigrants to come in from.  In a few hundred years they'll be as homogenized as we descendants of 18th-20th century immigrants are: just Americans, not British or Italian or Chinese or...whatever.

Granted, I'm sure people will keep track of their genealogy, but it's tremendously unlikely that anyone will keep a 'pure' enough bloodline to be really considered ethnic. 

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Genetic heritage != Cultural heritage.

A good example is Spain. Spanish people do know that they are Spanish, but I have understood than first and foremost they see themselves as Catalans, Castilians, Aragonians, Cantabrians, Galicians etc. And heck, Spain has been "unified" since 1512. That's almost 500 years and people still retain the micronational identities of old kingdoms such as Castilia, Catalonia and Aragonia.

Although, in FS2-like future national identities such as Finnish or English would be probably used only from those who actually are from Earth. And since Sol jump node is gone, there will be no more original Terrans (with national identities) to infest the rest of GTVA space.

It is likely that colonized worlds have similar identities. Planetary instead of national, though. If I would have opportunity to colonize space, I would make damn sure that individual planets would have one identity instead of several national identities in order to avoid inter-regional conflicts within planet. Planetary conflicts would need to be controlled by centralized government, which is the BETAC in GTVA.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Well, two different storylines I suppose.  Firely was intended as the two superpowers on Earth sending colonies out, hence the blend of American and Chinese cultures (that, and to fit in with the Western theme).  FS2's Terrans may have developed differently, with maybe the American/Western ethnicity and nationalities taking over.

Well, I was really citing firefly as an example of intermixing ethnic traits and - crucially - swearies without removing the uniqueness of foreign culture - rather than as an example of how humanity might 'evolve' into whatever it's like in FS2.  Anyways, I guess this point is best answered below....

Think about it.  Lots of people living under a common government.  Sure, they might not travel a lot, but they interbreed.  It's just like the modern America, except there isn't anywhere else for immigrants to come in from.  In a few hundred years they'll be as homogenized as we descendants of 18th-20th century immigrants are: just Americans, not British or Italian or Chinese or...whatever.

Granted, I'm sure people will keep track of their genealogy, but it's tremendously unlikely that anyone will keep a 'pure' enough bloodline to be really considered ethnic. 

Well, what is truly 'ethnic'?  The consqeunce of immigration, from what I've seen, is not one culture overwhelming another but - at most - a hybrid forming, or people existing within two cultures simultaneously; take a trip to 'a' Chinatown, for example, and you'll see a lot of people who preserve their own culture whilst existing within another (and, due to proximity not 'interbreeding' so much as to make everyone homogenous - even if there was an equal population and such a thing was genetically possible, which i'm not sure is).

The other thing is, it's kind of a big - and I'd say hard to justify - statement that people in FS2, people who are living seperated not by miles but light years, are going to intermingle to an extent that there's a population wide shift... human history shows that most people clump together with 'their own' - be it culturally or ethnically - and I can't see that aspect of behaviour having changed to make everyone the same language, same accent, etc.  Unless you assume that every offworld inhabitant came from the US, I suppose (rather unlikely IMO).

Genetic heritage != Cultural heritage.

A good example is Spain. Spanish people do know that they are Spanish, but I have understood than first and foremost they see themselves as Catalans, Castilians, Aragonians, Cantabrians, Galicians etc. And heck, Spain has been "unified" since 1512. That's almost 500 years and people still retain the micronational identities of old kingdoms such as Castilia, Catalonia and Aragonia.

Although, in FS2-like future national identities such as Finnish or English would be probably used only from those who actually are from Earth. And since Sol jump node is gone, there will be no more original Terrans (with national identities) to infest the rest of GTVA space.

It is likely that colonized worlds have similar identities. Planetary instead of national, though. If I would have opportunity to colonize space, I would make damn sure that individual planets would have one identity instead of several national identities in order to avoid inter-regional conflicts within planet. Planetary conflicts would need to be controlled by centralized government, which is the BETAC in GTVA.

Well, firstly, I don't see why you couldn't have multiple cultures on one planet - some of these are pretty damn big places, after all, and I don't think inter-regional conflict in what is likely to be a large, spacious planet (assuming colonisation under the half-billion range in somewhere with earth-like landmass) is any more likely than inter-planetary or inter-system wars.

Also, I think being cut off from earth might make people more likely to retain old national identities - maybe in cultural or ethnic terms rather than by nation-of-origin (because nations themselve have probably long ceased being relevant - aking to the Catalan etc identifies you mentioned) - because it's a very powerful way of giving yourself a personal identity.  I think, IMO, that most people feel 'more' of a national identity abroad than at home; I'd envisage a similar effect when your home only exists as the culture you preserve yourself.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:15:52 am by aldo_14 »

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Yeah, and it's also possible that the US developed anti-nuclear laser devices, and then nuked the rest of the planet, thus every space-faring Terran comes from the US.

Bottom line, you don't know one way or the other.

If we stick to facts, the fact is that during two whole games and one expansion which involved Earth in one way or another, not once was nationality mentioned. If you're doing your own campaign, and include nationality, you're straying from the accepted way the story is told, and moving the player towards not believing the campaign you created fitting the big picture.

Having said that however, it's not the most glaring error you can make, and the truth is it can allow for other potential benefits if you know how to spin it.

Offline Centrixo

so its narrowed to... 3, 5 and 6. ok good so far. need to narrow it to 1. game pushed back to the 17th of august 2007.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
 :wtf:

Do you honestly think you can predict the release down to a single day?  Knowing how tough it is to actually translate FRED ambitions into reality, I doubt it. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd be overjoyed if anyone could actually be so confident of their life and ability as to call a release like that...but no one is. 

Offline neoterran

game pushed back to the 17th of august 2007.

!! :sigh: :doubt: :rolleyes: :lol:
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"