Author Topic: HOMEWORLD: Deserts of Kharak Trailer  (Read 9605 times)

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Re: HOMEWORLD: Deserts of Kharak Trailer
(game crashed in the middle of the third mission)
Oh, you too huh?  Odd coincidence

It definitely does have that feel.  A bit different that third map (though only second REAL mission, first mission of HW games are always pretty much the same, harvest some stuff build a few units) which is a bit restrictive being a canyon, but so far, I do like the LOS mechanics of using the dunes.  As much as I liked three dimensional movement, the terrain mechanics that are replacing that look like they can provide more tactical depth.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Probably not a coincidence since The E crashed in the same spot. Was it when salvaging the Railguns for you?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Looks brilliant. Ground Control and Homeworld, two of my four favorite RTS games (the others being Starcraft and Nexus: The Jupiter Incident) merged and getting a new installment. Hyped.

Still not preordering though. I fear the story DLC announcement :-(
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline BirdofPrey

Probably not a coincidence since The E crashed in the same spot. Was it when salvaging the Railguns for you?
Was a bit before then actually, but it hasn't happened again
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

Offline mr.WHO

IMo the next game/DLC should be on Higgara during the landfall shortly after HW1. Two factions:

Kushani (supported by Taiidan rebels):
- advance ground forces based around and build by several ground carriers - they have experience in ground warfare from Deserts of Kharak, but most of their forces would be remore controled drones as they are very limitted by manpower (max of 600k Kushani survived the HW1)

Taiidan Loyalist:
- their forces are conventional and rather low tech (you don't need good ground forces if you have biggest navy in the galaxy for millenias) - the would not be produced by Carriers (possibly don't even have the ground carriers), but shipped off-map by dropships (kinda like in Ground Control). They would also have huge manpower reserve and infantry as Higgara was Imperial capital at HW1 time.

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Solid RTS from the reviews, but not worth the 50 buck price tag.

15-20? Then it wouldn't so badly panned.

Don't get me wrong, while I'm a Homeworld fanboi through and through, this game isn't worth the steep price tag with borked AI, limited map selection, and other major criticisms that have already been laid at it.

I'll pick it up on steep discount... but the high entrance cost and DLC arrangement is not a win-win value proposition, because this made as a multiplayer focused title and I expect more now, rather than less. I expect sone to say "but but but, it's Homeworld...."

And that's why I'm nitpicking, since it carries a prestigious name, it better be ready to live up - which seems to be living it down.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Still not preordering though.
You'd be a little late for that, given that it was released already...

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon

There was significant discount for owners of the Homeworld Remastered edition, 30% off if I remember correctly. The deal was apparently valid up until the game's release.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter

There was significant discount for owners of the Homeworld Remastered edition, 30% off if I remember correctly. The deal was apparently valid up until the game's release.
20%, dropping it from $50 to $40. Not actually as big a deal as if you didn't already own the Remastered Collection, because that independently sells for $35, which essentially meant you were getting Deserts of Kharak for $15.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm up to mission 7, and right now, my verdict is "worth it". Looks good, feels good to play, and has enough challenge (in normal mode) to get me hooked.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline BirdofPrey

If only my LAVs didn't die so fast.

So I was actually a bit surprised by the persistence.  There's a map that is used on two missions.  While the carrier moved between missions, all my other stuff was pretty much where I left it.

I'm used to everything moving back to some standard start location in games that do multiple missions on a map

Offline Luis Dias

Looks awesome, my only beef with this game is its concept itself. "Exactly like Homeworld, but now with one less dimension!" Aahhh... K.

Offline BirdofPrey

To be fair, the extra dimension didn't actually do ALL that much for the game aside from the fact it's thematic.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Looks awesome, my only beef with this game is its concept itself. "Exactly like Homeworld, but now with one less dimension!" Aahhh... K.

I find that DoK forces me to think more three-dimensionally than Homeworld 1 and 2 ever did.

homeworld 1 and 2 never really had any missions or maps that took advantage of the 3rd dimension anyway
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I don't know what is your definition of "taking advantage", but sure there was.

HW2 definitely didn't. HW1 kind of did, I remember that deathball coming up at you in Tannhauser Gate and the Sphere Of Eternal Salvage in Bridge of Sighs, but there wasn't much verticality in general. Most missions stuck pretty closely to the plane.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't know what is your definition of "taking advantage", but sure there was.

Apart from the specific missions PH mentioned, using the vertical axis was never something the player absolutely had to do in order to win. It wasn't even something the player was explicitly encouraged to do, as the mechanical benefits (if there even are any) are mostly invisible.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Just because Deserts of Kharak doesn't allow you to position units at arbitrary 3D points doesn't mean it's not a 3D strategy game. As The E said, the terrain makes you think about height far more than in previous games, using it both to extend your lines of sight and firing, and for cover. Not to mention that your carrier is unable to navigate too-steep terrain, while other units can navigate it freely.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline crizza

In HW2 was the Mission with the Oracle, where you had to move inside of dust clouds or risk getting swarmed.

I like Deserts, but the unit positioning could be better.
I usually use my railgun tanks on a ridge, but I have to position them one by one.
Some sort of dragging like in Total War would be neat. Furthermore I make use of the baserunners sensor ability, placing them between dunes, so the enemy has no clear line of sight... but he always finds them :D