Author Topic: Launcher 5.5c - testers needed, joystick related  (Read 13049 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Launcher 5.5c - testers needed, joystick related
Grab Launcher 5.5c from right here:  http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/Launcher55c.rar

You can basically consider this an RC build, getting ready for 5.6, which will be released with FSO 3.6.10 at some point in July.  I'm just sticking with the a, b, c, ..., numbering instead of going with RC versioning.

Other than the various bug fixes and small interface cleanups that generally acompany new Launcher releases, there are 3 main changes which deserve attention (one in the particular):

• The anisotropic filter setting in the OpenGL config has been changed to have the following values: Off, 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x.  This is done per how it actually works, and how I was too lazy to have set it up previously.  The "Off" value, is obviously just going to turn anisotropic filtering off.  The 1x value is what's really different here, since in new builds it will use a standard isotropic filtering method, but NOT use the LOD bias technique, unlike before.  If you set it to "Off" then it will use the isotropic method and LOD bias.  Basically, this simply allows you to better customize the effect to your personal tastes and the performance of your hardware.  No currently public build will use the 1x value properly however (but it won't hurt anything), though my next Xt build will have full support for the changes.

• Yes, there is now an anti-alias slider in the OpenGL config.  No, it doesn't currently do anything.  Assuming that I have time to get the bugs worked out of the new init code, 3.6.10 will support it though.  I simply wanted to get it into the Launcher already, so that it's one less thing that I have to worry about next month.  Oh, and I'm going to request an official forum perma-ban on the first idiot that asks why it doesn't look any different in-game when using the slider with current/past builds. :mad2:

• And the primary reason for the new launcher build: a change to how joysticks are handled.  The "Force 0" and "Force 1" options have been removed, since if I did my job right, they should no longer be needed.  So, everyone that has ever had to use one of the "Force" options, please give this a test and make sure that your joystick works as you expect when you select it in the joysticks list.  If it does then say so, if it doesn't, well, I'm sure that I'll hear about it. :)

Re: Launcher 5.5c - testers needed, joystick related
Well, one problem is that all the joysticks have the same name (microsoft joystick driver)... so you can't see wich joystick is what.

But if you manage to figure that out, it works (with my Logitich MOMO Racing, my Logitech Wingman Light, and my virtual joystick combining the two)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Well, one problem is that all the joysticks have the same name (microsoft joystick driver)... so you can't see wich joystick is what.

x2
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Should Gooby fix what permissions? :confused:

Should Gooby fix what permissions? :confused:

that people can only post polls here, not actual threads.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Hmm, it works fine for me, giving me the proper name.  What version of Windows are you running?

Windows XP SP2 - Dutch

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm working on Silent Threat: Reborn. :(

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Err, great, now I feel just aweful. :(
*hugs Gooby*

We love* you, man!  Keep it up!  :yes: :cool:

*Do I really have to clarify this?

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it

I have the same problem.  I am running windows XP
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline neoterran

wait - normal maps !!!?? do these exist yet ?
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm getting the same naming error with the joysticks (XP pro SP 2). If you can get me a diff of new code I can compare the BtRL Launcher (which uses the 5.5b codebase) against your changes quite easily.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I'm getting the same naming error with the joysticks (XP pro SP 2). If you can get me a diff of new code I can compare the BtRL Launcher (which uses the 5.5b codebase) against your changes quite easily.
I can compare the changes pretty easily too.  ;)

The thing is that I ripped out the DI code for joysticks and just use standard OS calls instead.  That is what the game uses, so it makes sure that the launcher is getting joysticks in the same index/order as the game will see them.  The problem is likely just how I get the extended device name from the registry.  It works fine in Win2000, but apparently not in WinXP.  I'm going to test it on another machine (with XP on it) tonight to debug the problem.  I should be able to get it fixed pretty quickly at that point and put out an updated build tomorrow.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I can compare the changes pretty easily too.  ;)

You had said that you weren't getting the error though. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Launcher updated and the same link in the first post.  Hopefully that will fix the WinXP issues for everyone (does for me on a test machine).

The code wanted full permissions on the registry keys that it was trying to query, and I forgot to change that just needing query permissions.  :sigh:

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
well im about to be able to torture test joystick configs in a very short while. in a couple hours i should get my ch rudder pedals, i already got my fighterstick and pro throttle. im using the control manager vista beta to combine controllers (have had no problems with it yet). though ive never had to force a joystick at all.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I noticed that before, the only joystick that would work reliably was the one set as the Preferred joystick in the windows gaming controls panel.  Otherwise I had to use the Force options.  Now it seems to accept what I tell it to, so I'd consider it fixed.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
the whole setup worked perfectly. i set up the stick as yaw and pitch, the pedals for bank, the throttle for go, and the trimwheel for the relative throttle. i had 4 axes left over, so i set up the thumbstick as a virtual mouse and configured the brake pedals to act as mouse buttons when they were pressed (i can access theese functions through lua script and do cool stuff like add virtual lateral thrusters). other cool things i was able to do with ch manager was to add afterburner and reverse thrust zones on the throttle, which act as keypresses when the throttle gets to the front and back of its range. awesome stuff. the launcher saw the controller as "microsoft pc joystick driver" rather than "control manager device 1" as it was actually called.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I've just changed my PC. New system works with Windows Vista 32-bit and:

• In joystick section I don't see "Saitek Ciborg EVO" but just "Microsoft Joystic". Joystick works nevertheless. (It doesn't matter if I run with or without Administrator Privileges). In my former PC with XP SP2 Pro, I saw "Saitek ..."
  • In Open AL box I don't see Generic Hardware (or similar) anymore. I just see "Generic Software" and "No Sound". Ingame sound works fine nevertheless.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
In joystick section I don't see "Saitek Ciborg EVO" but just "Microsoft Joystic". Joystick works nevertheless. (It doesn't matter if I run with or without Administrator Privileges). In my former PC with XP SP2 Pro, I saw "Saitek ..."
I'll double check that the code is correct, and that the launcher build is actually at the most up-to-date version.

In Open AL box I don't see Generic Hardware (or similar) anymore. I just see "Generic Software" and "No Sound". Ingame sound works fine nevertheless.
The current version of OpenAL won't show "Generic Hardware" unless you are actually capable of using it (ie, not on Vista).  Any sort of card specific device is provided by your sound card drivers though.