Author Topic: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.  (Read 102132 times)

Offline CT27

Re: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.
Making the Mjolnirs actually aim would probably be retail-breaking and just odd, though. The in-game, Mjolnirs are supposed to be static beam sentries that fire on ships emerging from the node.

I'm not necessarily saying they should be able to aim their beams like a destroyer can 'aim' its beam cannon shot (within a cone field where the pound sign is basically the turret   #<)...rather that a Mjolnir should be able to rotate (but would still fire in only a straight line).

I actually wrote a patch to the beam code a few months ago to make a beam that would track a target based on its velocity at the time of firing; would anyone be interested in that as a solution to this?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'm guessing that this, if implemented, would be a table option for any beam type, as opposed to creating only a new beam type (type 5 for example) that tracks.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Each beam type has radically different targeting code internally, I think if you wanted more advanced control of beam tracking it'd be better to define a new type altogether and work with a clean base.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
So you'd need to create a new type for AAA-advanced targeting, new slash advanced targeting, and new direct-fire advanced targeting?

Offline CT27

I encountered a minor technical problem in the mission "Sixth Wonder".

When attacking the NTC Cato, I targeted its AA turrets (labeled "AA Beam") but they didn't fire the standard blue anti-fighter beam...instead they fired normal laser shots (colored yellow/goldish).

That was the only ship in the mission that had the problem though. The NTCv Hawkwood had anti-fighter beams.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Turret names are accurate to the ship's tabled weapon layout.

Whenever V altered the layout on a per-mission basis, turret names may not match the actual weapon.

Offline CT27

Something else I was wondering about:

It was said there were going to be changes made to the Prometheus R.  What changes were those?

Offline CT27

Also, I apologize if I'm remembering it wrong, but in the retail version of "Fainy Perry Riposte!" didn't the Colossus have a forward beam to fire on the Repulse with?

I just played the FS2Blue version of said mission and the Colossus just let the Repulse ram it and did nothing.

The collie never had a frontal anti capship beam, it was always the same 6 BGreens, 3 per side. It should fire on the repulse with those though, they have a 180x180 degree firing arc.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It doesn't, though, I noticed that too. Wonder why...maybe the Repulse is protected somehow?

Hmm, didn't the beams clip through the hull when firing on the Repulse ? Maybe a "check hull" flag is messing things up.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Ohhhh yeah. That would probably do it.

Offline CT27

It could be that.  I'm pretty sure I remembered the Colossus firing on the Repulse and the Repulse took some damage.

Offline -Norbert-

Maybe it's a matter of chance with the Colossus sometimes being a tiny bit differently oriented and thus just barely getting a beam into the right angle... or not.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Perhaps in FS:B 2.0, the Colossus could be re-oriented so it broad-sides the Repulse.

Offline -Norbert-

I'd only adjust it slightly, just enough to let a beam or two fire. If it turns completely away the message to evacuate the forward sections of the Colossus wouldn't make sense anymore.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Good point.

Offline CT27

I know you need time for the Repulse and Colossus to have their dialogue, but I think the Colossus came in too far from the Repulse.  It was just pointed straight on at the Repulse for almost a couple minutes without moving it seemed like (more than enough time ingame to turn/move out of the way)  This was especially weird considering that it wasn't in a position to fire on the Repulse.  If I was CO of the Colossus, I would have at least tried to have it turn so I could broadside the Repulse.

In short, I concur with that others have said.  Battuta, if you ever do another update to FS2 Blue, could you modify this mission slightly so that the Colossus comes in slightly at an angle so it can fire on the Repulse with at least one capital beam? 

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Or... maybe, just maybe...

wait for it

Two reasons. The first is that I've seen the Colossus kill the Repulse before Koth's monologue even finishes in normal gameplay, even in a single shot. That might have changed due to the new model, but still. Second, perhaps the Colossus doesn't fire on the Repulse because they're trying to get Koth to surrender, or they hope someone in Koth's crew will see reason. You know, "Don't do it, Koth! You're sacrificing ten thousand lives for nothing!"

But what do any of us know, really.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta