Author Topic: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.  (Read 102159 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.
The new tag is rad, very nice during the mission Endgame. Though the mass on it is kind of hilariously large, it knocks fighters around so hard. Also during Endgame, the Iceni sort of bumps on the nose of the collossus when it jumps in.

On another note, for some reason the debriefing never seems to play the victory music. (Unless I'm misremembering what the victory music sounded like...)
Not true, disregard.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 04:40:14 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Play in campaign mode, click 'database' on the briefing screen.

Whoops, sorry — you won't be able to do this unless you're playing one of the BP campaigns.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Jah jah, I like new High noon. Actual fighter cover and the collie actually looking like she is giving it all she's got.

The mission didn't really end properly for me though, in that cancer wing directive never got cleared and no RTB directive.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline CT27

Whoops, sorry — you won't be able to do this unless you're playing one of the BP campaigns.

So we won't be able to see intelligence entries in FSBlue?

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 05:58:54 pm by CT27 »

Also during Endgame, the Iceni sort of bumps on the nose of the collossus when it jumps in.
Yeah, I think it does that with the stock 2014 MVPs as well.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Whoops, sorry — you won't be able to do this unless you're playing one of the BP campaigns.

So we won't be able to see intelligence entries in FSBlue?

They're exactly the same as why you'd see playing the other campaigns.

Offline CT27

A minor question that came up after completing a FSBlue mission:

I completed a mission and there was a quick sentence in debriefing about getting an ace medal (something like 'you have enough kills for an ace medal').  However, this line had no accompanying audio whereas usually Petrarch says something about it.  Was this intended or have I got a bug?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Petrarch is disabled because we don't want him popping up in BP.

Wait... so this is an improved retail FreeSpace 2 single-player campaign, but wtihout Petrarch?
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Wait... so this is an improved retail FreeSpace 2 single-player campaign, but wtihout Petrarch?
Just the lines for the ace medals
Urutorahappī!!

Obviously Petrarch is there in the very first CBrief and the rest of the game that doesn't include stuff that could accidentally pop up while playing BP. The easiest solution was simply to remove the voice files for promotions and ace-medals so you don't get Petrarch congratulating you for killing 160... GTVA fighters in WiH.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Veers

I imagine he might be confused as he gets older. Happens to the best of us.
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Of course Petrarch has all his usual lines, he's just not going to pop up to give promotions and medals.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Sounds like a feature request to me. Lame to have to disable that for one campaign in a mod to prevent it from affecting the other.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Known issue: sometimes when you start FSBlue you have no weapons available in the tutorials or first mission of the campaign, because campaign starting weapons aren't loaded properly.

Fix: delete Freespace2\data\players\[playername].FreeSpace2.csg and try again.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Yeah, weird stuff sometimes happens if you have 2 different campaigns with the same name. I had a similar issue with BP complete when I still had .csg files for BP1 and 2.

An alternative is to simply clone your pilot, transferring over HUD, graphics, and controls setup without the save files.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Found an amusing bug. In The Place of Chariots, NTF sentryguns use the GTL Anemoi icon. :) Also, they talk of Lokis, but the first enemies on site are actually Hercs.

Also, I have a suggestion. Remastered and expanded soundtrack would really help the atmosphere. Right now, it just lacks... epicness of BP. Belisarius' arrival just doesn't feel like a big deal, while a proper audio cue could make it a much more notable event.

EDIT: Also, why are Shivan bombers using Terran torpedoes? We have plenty of Shivan missiles available already. The nebula doesn't seem to be as bad as it used to be, either (can target Kappa until they vanish). Discovery should probably have some cargo as well.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Sounds like a feature request to me. Lame to have to disable that for one campaign in a mod to prevent it from affecting the other.
Campaign files can specify different debriefing personas for different missions, with it just defaulting to Petrarch if one isn't provided, and each "$Promotion Text:" in medals.tbl can have a corresponding "+Persona:" (followed by another "$Promotion Text:" if you want to specify more personas/the default).

The downside is that you have to actually supply audio files for this new persona; otherwise, it will say "hmm, that audio file doesn't exist, guess we'll just use Petrarch's line for that". Although if FS Blue is currently supplying empty audio to overwrite Petrarch's audio files, it should be trivial to just move those to a different index.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline FIZ

I feel somewhat a tiny bit responsible for this... FS Blue.  I look forward to playing it.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Petrarch is disabled because we don't want him popping up in BP.

AdmiralRalwood posted what I was going to say:

Campaign files can specify different debriefing personas for different missions, with it just defaulting to Petrarch if one isn't provided, and each "$Promotion Text:" in medals.tbl can have a corresponding "+Persona:" (followed by another "$Promotion Text:" if you want to specify more personas/the default).

The downside is that you have to actually supply audio files for this new persona; otherwise, it will say "hmm, that audio file doesn't exist, guess we'll just use Petrarch's line for that". Although if FS Blue is currently supplying empty audio to overwrite Petrarch's audio files, it should be trivial to just move those to a different index.

You can see it in the campaign editor screenshot here, labeled "Debriefing persona index".  This is how we got the FS1 debriefing voices to play properly in FSPort.  Likewise for your new squadron leaders in Silent Threat: Reborn.