Author Topic: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.  (Read 101875 times)

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Re: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.
Are you trying to use FSO 3.7.2 or a recent nightly?

Offline eicca

Are you trying to use FSO 3.7.2 or a recent nightly?

3.7.2 official release. Followed installation instructions to the letter.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Open the Blue Planet install thread, follow the big red link to grab a newer build.

Here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=90802.0

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Well, actually ---- oh Batts beat me to it.  ;7

Offline eicca

That did the trick. Mine must not have been new enough.

Wonder if someone could possibly modify FS2 Blue to work without Blue Planet vps. I'm not getting the frame rate I usually do and would like to free up some drive space eventually.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Check your launcher to be sure shadows are off, and if necessary turn off deferred lighting, postprocessing, and other features.

Offline eicca

What is differed lighting, anyhow? I disabled it and it did wonders for my FPS but I don't see anything lacking visually.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
What is differed lighting, anyhow? I disabled it and it did wonders for my FPS but I don't see anything lacking visually.
Deferred lighting basically means that the scene is rendered multiple times, with the lighting being done in a separate pass after geometry. It's all very technical and I don't really understand the finer details of the rendering engine (or even the broad strokes of the rendering engine, really, for that matter), but the upshot of it is that it drastically increases the number of light sources that can be projecting light simultaneously at the cost of poorer performance, depending on the mod/mission and the system FSO is being run on.

If disabling it gives you an improved framerate, then feel free to leave it off.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Aetyrno

Something strange going on with the shadows of the Knossos portal, in the lens flare... A Lion at the Door.

http://i.imgur.com/6ki1Q1o.png

Edit - not just Knossos - all ship "shadows" in the lens flare seem to do that.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 02:36:00 am by Aetyrno »

Offline eicca

I've experienced some graphics glitchery as well, but only in the nebula. The little lights on ships have squares around them and when the Trinity exploded in the first nebula mission it made all kinds of weird artifacts.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I've experienced some graphics glitchery as well, but only in the nebula. The little lights on ships have squares around them and when the Trinity exploded in the first nebula mission it made all kinds of weird artifacts.

Something strange going on with the shadows of the Knossos portal, in the lens flare... A Lion at the Door.

Run the debug builds, then post the fs2_open.log that appears in the main FreeSpace 2 folder.

I'm guessing either your graphics cards are oooold, or ya gotta update ya dang drivers. Eicca, what launcher are you using?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Another member posted the same thing here, but it wasn't resolved.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline eicca

I'm guessing either your graphics cards are oooold, or ya gotta update ya dang drivers. Eicca, what launcher are you using?

wxL, latest I think, for OSX.

Offline Aetyrno

Run the debug builds, then post the fs2_open.log that appears in the main FreeSpace 2 folder.

i7-3570K (mildly overclocked), 16GB DDR3-1600, GTX 660 Ti (2GB), up to date drivers. Nowhere near overheating or anything.  Noticed the other guy that posted about this had a 660, very similar but not the same as the Ti.

I'm running fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151121_71cf169.exe.   Command line C:\Freespace 2\fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE2_20151121_71cf169.exe -mod bpcomplete,mediavps_2014 -missile_lighting -3dshockwave -post_process -soft_particles -fxaa -fb_explosions -enable_shadows -cache_bitmaps -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ballistic_gauge -ship_choice_3d -weapon_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -mipmap -fullscreen_window  -spec -glow -env -mipmap

Before I started typing this reply, I verified the squares were present.  Closed game, started debug version, waited for it to load (30+ seconds to load the mission, even on a SSD? Is that normal?) and the bug was not present.  Restarted the game twice, then went back to the non-debug version, bug is not there.  I'll have to play a few missions then come back and see.  Verrrry bizarre.

As a side note, no log file appeared at all.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I'm dumb. fs2_open.log appears in the root's data folder, not in the root folder itself. Herp derp.

Turn off mipmapping. It's redundant and causes more problems. Odd how you have it twice, though.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Aetyrno

It's OK, I derped too.  When I searched for .log files, I thought it was already 2016 so I ignored the one created today.

I had cleared out and reinstalled the launcher - apparently the default settings had it added onto the custom flags, and hitting "all features on" added it somewhere else.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I've just got to the Proving Grounds. I have to say, I really dislike the Morning Star's revamp. Damage went up, but the kinetic effect went away. This makes it useless for both keeping stealth fighters off Oberon (they now don't seem to care if you're shooting at them or not) and disrupting bomber formations. It still works as an anti-bomb weapon, but the shockwaves look really ugly. This rebalance made it be of somewhat more use in regular situations, but it's now useless in the few places the old version was good to have.

Also, Inspiration's cargo is "nothing" (King's Gambit). I think it should be carrying something. Same thing with Venture in the next mission.

Offline Aesaar

So your problem with the new Morning Star is that it's more generally useful and less of a gimmick weapon?

Yeah, let's not pretend it was useful anywhere outside of Proving Grounds. It wasn't even good for disrupting formations because it cost so much energy(more than the kayser!) to fire meaning you'd be better off just using a real weapon to kill them instead.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Even if it's more useful, I literally don't use it outside of Proving Grounds. There's no point. Damage dealers all the way, baby.