Author Topic: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.  (Read 102064 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.
It's like that in the original retail mission too.  That's not to say that changing it isn't a good idea.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Did a pass to make King's Gambit less self-playing. Should be in next patch.

Morningstar and Piranha also got buffs.

Huh, so AAA beams don't damage asteroids, whilst my Subach HL7 one (6) shots them. That's a bit weird.

The Ship-Guardian on Alpha 2 in A Game of Tag looks weird when her engines are disabled... The mission appears to be even more frustrating then the original, with the Warspite often simply refusing to open fire  :ick:

I mean... That whole mission, I don't remember it being this frustrating. But it's terrible! Do you:
1) Stay on the tail of that enemy Mara, so that you are then destroyed by the Warspite's AAA beam (seriously: the thing takes of 50% of your hull with one stray hit but it needs multiple barrages to finish a mara!)?
2) Dodge away of that enemy Mara, so that that Mara then gets the lock on you because the Warspite's AAA beam missed the 6 shots you get?
3) Don't attack those Taurvi's because there is a Manticore on your tail, only to find out that the Warspite simply does not fire it's weapons after you tag the thing?
4) Quit the mission entire and choose to complain about the whole thing on the forums, coming across as relentlessly ungratefull for what is otherwise a stellar work?
5) Decide to play the missions a few times, only to see the same problems happen consistently along multiple playtroughs?
6) GRRRRrrrrr
7) Note that replacing the hyperAAA beams with the Deimos's standard green beams neatly solves problem 1 and 2?
8) That also would just look damn cool!

... Does the starboard front beam on the Warspite work at all? Aforementioned manticore tends to be straight in that things cone of fire, whilst the Maras that are often in full frontal view and yet only get the port side beam after them.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 05:22:00 am by -Joshua- »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That mission should be a lot less frustrating than retail due to the buffs to the TAG missile's fire wait...

Have you folks by any chance made any changes to the ultra AAA beam? I checked the mission on retail and there the warspite fires quite bit more relentlessly. Any tagged target on retail can be relied upon to die. Not so in the BP version. As the mission files are identical I suspect that changed weapon tables are the culprit.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 09:16:39 am by -Joshua- »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Don't think so. The changes probably lie in the move from free fire to a repeating fire-beam event.

Don't think so. The changes probably lie in the move from free fire to a repeating fire-beam event.

Huh, looking trough the weapon tables it does appear that BP reduces the miss factor of the ULTRA beam but this should make it more potent, not less. Unless that thing is in backwards.

Repeating fire-beam might be it? The retail AAA beam fires continiously whilst the BP beam takes a break inbetween firing.

Okay, I took another look at that mission, and I made one change: Turret 23 is a Terslash in the ships.tbl, just like turret 24. However, in the mission (in both retail, MVP and BP variants) that turret is a lonely flak gun. Meanwhile, turret 24 is an Ultra AAA.

... Am I now crazy, or is turret 23 one of the Deimos's frontal beams? Changing turret 23 to a Ultra AAA ensured that both frontal beams fire at the targets you tag at first. This makes the BP variant of the mission quite a bit easier, and might be a great avenue to explore that mission further. The way the Warspite is kitted out in any current variant makes little sense.

edit: For instance, try reversing any changes [v] makes to the warspite's loadout, except replacing the Terslashs (turret 11,12,23,24) with the Hyper AAA.

edit2: Simultaniously, the lack of kinetic properties to the new Morning Star does make the proving grounds mission a bit weird. Protecting the oberon is now simply impossible, whilst it was doable (if extremely hard) to fend off Delta wing in the original with the original Morning Star. Delta wing appears to have no incentive to break off their attack when they are not taking any damage. Perhaps Ship-Guardian them?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 01:31:38 pm by -Joshua- »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Try EMPs on Delta

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
The suggested ship is non-canon. The point is to improve on the original FS2 campaign without fundamentally altering the story. Introducing a non-canon ship would be a pretty fundamental alteration. An Aeolus would be campaign appropriate.

How about Mentu? If I recall properly, it hasn't got any beam cannons (except AAA).
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Well, that's not the fault of the EMPs. If you can't get a visual you need to keep your eyes open.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Well, that's not the fault of the EMPs. If you can't get a visual you need to keep your eyes open.

I had a visual before I launched all those EMPs into them...  :nervous:

Delta don't even seem to react much to your fire except by sometimes turning away after you sustain fire on them for a few seconds. EMPs seemed to do nothing. Moving on to the Tiamat, I kept it in sensor range for about as long as it was actually in the mission and I even shot out its engines. The Aquitaine still quickly moved past it to an angle where none of its beams could fire, so the Tiamat couldn't be killed. That was pretty annoying.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

More of a question than anything... I've got 3.7.4 installed and downloaded all the mods (from FSOinstaller), and I'm playing through the Freespace 2 campaign that's present in Blue Planet's campaign room... it is just called 'Freespace 2', right? It's not meant to be Freespace Blue or anything? Just wondering as I'm not noticing a huge difference between the reg campaign and the new one.

To be fair, I haven't used TAGs yet, or done High Noon (just finished the first set of SOC missions) so maybe I just haven't encountered a huge change yet...

(Hope this wasn't covered earlier in the thread... didn't have time to browse all 16 pages   :P )

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
More of a question than anything... I've got 3.7.4 installed and downloaded all the mods (from FSOinstaller), and I'm playing through the Freespace 2 campaign that's present in Blue Planet's campaign room... it is just called 'Freespace 2', right? It's not meant to be Freespace Blue or anything? Just wondering as I'm not noticing a huge difference between the reg campaign and the new one.
No, it should say "Freespace Blue" in the campaign room. Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Here's the log. I ran this off the Blue Planet mod, though I have checked the Blue Planet 2 mod to see if Freespace Blue showed up there, but saw nothing...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:37:23 pm by galonrever »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You're running an older version of Blue Planet. Download Blue Planet Complete from the FSO installer or the Blue Planet forum!

Offline CT27

Delta don't even seem to react much to your fire except by sometimes turning away after you sustain fire on them for a few seconds. EMPs seemed to do nothing. Moving on to the Tiamat, I kept it in sensor range for about as long as it was actually in the mission and I even shot out its engines. The Aquitaine still quickly moved past it to an angle where none of its beams could fire, so the Tiamat couldn't be killed. That was pretty annoying.

The same thing happened to me.  No matter the difficulty level I can't get the Aquitane to kill the Tiamat.

Also on this mission, without the kinetic effect it's a lot more difficult to 'protect' the Oberon early on.