Author Topic: Destroyers vs Sathanas  (Read 6465 times)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Destroyers vs Sathanas
Hi folks!

I have been playing around with FRED doing 'who would win' missions. 1 Sathanas Vs X numbers of destroyers.

Results thus far: To reliably take out a Sathanas using Zapp Brannigan tactics (i.e. all ships attacking head on so all are in the fire-arcs of the Sath's main beams) whilst still leavling at least one destroyer alive at the end requires a minimum of:

9 Orions / Hatshepsuts / Hecate / (Mix and match of these, not 9 each)

2 Titans + 2 Erebus  (Which just goes to show just how much more powerful they are)  :cool:

Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Re: Destroyers vs Sathanas
Who should I put up against who next?  ;7
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
How many Collossi vs one Sathanas.  How far can 1 Collossus bring down 1 Sathanas with the same tactics.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Infinity bombers vs 2 big fat saths.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Note: I think that if you're using FSBlue, the allied destroyers will have their stats boosted a bit. Or the Sath's main cannons aren't as powerful like they used to in FS2.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Hmm...

How many Mjolnirs vs 1 Sath?

Or, how many Ravanas vs 1 Sath?  :p

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Try the Hades.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Honestly that's not a really meaningful comparison. There's so many different variables that go into an actual engagement that just smashing them together like action figures doesn't really tell you much about "who would win?"

OTOH it's fun watching ships shoot giant beam cannons at each other, so what the heck.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

OTOH it's fun watching ships shoot giant beam cannons at each other, so what the heck.
Indeed it it. I wonder how Fenris attacking head on it would take to bring down a Sath.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
2 Titans + 2 Erebus  (Which just goes to show just how much more powerful they are)  :cool:

... but is that a good thing?

Say what you will about the Sathanas being the "this is where the mission ends and the cutscene begins"-presence it still remains - for the lack of a better word - playable; something that cannot be said about BPs overgunned with specialized guns capital ships.

Part of what makes capital ships in FS2 such a compelling presence is also the fact that they are not the game's version of a terrain piece of scenery or "shoot the glowy bits"-boss fight (notable exception of the Lucifer)... Now that doesn't mean that you shouldn't find better ways to interact with them, if you are set on keeping capital ships a neccessary presence (and no lobbing TAG missiles at them instead the usually dive bombing runs is not sufficent innovation IMO)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 05:52:50 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Post some screens!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

... but is that a good thing?

Say what you will about the Sathanas being the "this is where the mission ends and the cutscene begins"-presence it still remains - for the lack of a better word - playable; something that cannot be said about BPs overgunned with specialized guns capital ships.

Part of what makes capital ships in FS2 such a compelling presence is also the fact that they are not the game's version of a terrain piece of scenery or "shoot the glowy bits"-boss fight (notable exception of the Lucifer)... Now that doesn't mean that you shouldn't find better ways to interact with them, if you are set on keeping capital ships a neccessary presence (and no lobbing TAG missiles at them instead the usually dive bombing runs is not sufficent innovation IMO)

what

@Orpheus: Err, this thread isn't a "Do you think BPs capship combat model could be improved?" but "Lets have ships beamed to death by Saths!!!"...

@Iain: Actually, does debris count too?

Offline 0rph3u5

@Orpheus: Err, this thread isn't a "Do you think BPs capship combat model could be improved?" but "Lets have ships beamed to death by Saths!!!"...

For the record, it is not just BP (its just because it has come up), I've been saying it for a while that many of the community-made ships are not very useful as they tend to have (*deploying hyperbole for effect*) turrets on every free surface and then two more for good measure; and in all honesty I am beginning to have the same reservations about the Aelous, the Deimos and the Sobek as well (the Moloch and the Mentu deserve the same kind of scrutiny if their retail armaments were as ... perculiar as they are)

And why not have a discussion about how to evaluate what can be seen by throwing capital ships at the Sath - about the design of both the Sath and any ship you pit against it.

Let's face it the Sath belongs to these terribly utilized ships, probably because of its role as the big show-stopper of FS2 - Now, I personally have no inclination to spend time on "making the Sath work as mission centerpiece", because none of the campaigns on my slate require me to (my next target is the SSD Bhaal FYI)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

IMHO that sounds like a mere aesthetical issue at best... what would be the point about having fewer turrets?

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Orpheus, I honestly have no idea what you're on about. Your complaint is that capital ships are bad because . . . they have too many turrets? What?

Capital ships are props and scenery (and occasionally characters). They exist as tools for the designer to provide backdrops, or story beats, or alter the area layout, or to put a thumb on the scales of an engagement. Talking about them in terms of balance is meaningless because the player's ability to interact with them is so much more limited than with a fighter. Their handling doesn't matter. Their speed doesn't matter. Their armor and loadouts don't matter since those can be changed easily through one of about a billion tools in FRED. You're not going to find people who design ships with thin coverage like an Aten because something like that isn't very useful as a prop because weapons are the primary way that a capship interacts with the mission.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The whole BP capship combat paradigm is about slowing things down so ships live longer and get to do more instead of vaporizing each other in beam discos. A BP destroyer has more effective HP than the colossus. And there are far more mechanical interactions with capships than in retail. It’s the opposite of what you’re trying to argue.

It comes off like you’re saying “I’m the only one who’s thought about this and everyone else is doing it wrong.” That is not very pluralistic.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Also the first BP campaign uses the Sath very well, it’s not just a big lump once its forward beams are gone. So there’s still urgency to the fight.

Using capships well is really more about the mission designer than the model.

Just to be sure, you're saying BPs capitals are unplayable? That's a bit of a strange statement if that's what you really mean given how much of a significant centerpiece they are in a large and highly successful mod! You might disagree with their design methodology, but to claim they're unplayable is patently and obviously false.

Offline 0rph3u5

an Aten because something like that isn't very useful as a prop because weapons are the primary way that a capship interacts with the mission.

The Aten is a good a example for what my point of dissent is: As a ship with less weapons to make it a piece of scenery you have to stay away from (a fact combounded with weapons designed to more a ship more like scenery e.g. massed Flak), and makes it more a prop. Additionally, it provides you with much more of an incentive to actually work out it role as a prop - to find a role for ship to be there other than to shoot its guns.

I am not saying there are no other ways to go about it - Solaris made it work perfectly well by utilization of ship-to-ship missiles: while the ships themselves on continuum from prop to scenery were much more scenery, the missile combat allowed for a point of interaction. (so does the use of ship-to-ship torpedoes in BP, as seen in AoA's Forced Entry)

Likewise, if another factor is involved, let's say a thematic throughline about the technology not being able to make up for poor decision making, you can also make ships armed to the brim work (which is how FS2 works that angle IMO)

Just to be sure, you're saying BPs capitals are unplayable? That's a bit of a strange statement if that's what you really mean given how much of a significant centerpiece they are in a large and highly successful mod! You might disagree with their design methodology, but to claim they're unplayable is patently and obviously false.

What I mean with saying the Sathanas is playable is that besides its role as "steamroller", as it has in Bearbaiting and Straight, No Chaser, you can technically move action around at any distance and have the model at least give you the option to provide an managable impact - something I don't see working quite as well with the BP capitals ships, due to the abundance of overlapping fields of fire.

Now, I am currently mostly occupied with rehashing old stuff (the Rain on Ribos IV and Drums of War re-releases are around the corner basically), but I will put up in support of what I am saying in due time. I think once I get the whole sorry affair out as something playable, it will probaly be easier to understand what I am trying to get at.

==================