Author Topic: Destroyers vs Sathanas  (Read 6472 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You can just slow down the turret rate of fire if you need to, or slap on different weapons. There are a ton of tools to manage lethality, and it's much better to have too many turrets than too few - you can just lock the turrets you don't need or remove them from the table entirely; you can't add additional turrets. BP's lethal anti-fighter fire is a design decision for the mod's gameplay and narrative, not something baked into the models.

Respectfully, I don't think you have understood the tools available to you.

I think it's just a matter of scale, with what you can interact (like shooting down a Fenris) and what not (Deimos etc). An Aten does not appear useful, but perhabs one could argue that a cruiser should always be more dangerous than a wing of fighters.

Generally speaking, I tend to prefer working with ships that have more turrets as it leaves you more options to fine tune how they perform. And BP proved that no matter how overgunned a ship is, making it as weak as the plot requires is rather trivial, whether you justify it through mission dialogue or do it more under the table (heheh, table).

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
@Orpheus: Err, this thread isn't a "Do you think BPs capship combat model could be improved?" but "Lets have ships beamed to death by Saths!!!"...

@Iain: Actually, does debris count too?

Yup, it does. The Sath's 'arms' explode violently some time after the Sath itself has exploded. The explosion was enough to take a Erebus from 100%HP down to explody death 0% in an instant. Which is why you probably shouldn't engage a sath head on at point blank range  :lol:
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

On the other hand, outright ramming the Sath would probably safe the lives of many destroyers.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
How many Collossi vs one Sathanas.  How far can 1 Collossus bring down 1 Sathanas with the same tactics.

More than two. One Collossus can bring it down by 15-20%. I will try more Collossi and see what happens  :)

NB - Is there an optimal orientation for a Collossus to attack something large? I have tried broadside and at an angle which allows broadside and some of the forward facing beams to fire.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

I think that's the way to go. BTW does Colly have BGreen or BFGreen (like in the FS2 campaign) equipped?

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Note: I think that if you're using FSBlue, the allied destroyers will have their stats boosted a bit. Or the Sath's main cannons aren't as powerful like they used to in FS2.

Yeah, I noticed that. I looked at AI profiles. When the Sath was set to general and the destroyers to BP General the raitio raised somewhat, needing 3 Erebus and 3 titans to take it down with any chance of any of the destroyers still surviving.

I noticed there were additional AI profiles for BP, such as 'BALLS OF STEEL' and 'Fedayeen'. Anyone know what these do?

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
I think that's the way to go. BTW does Colly have BGreen or BFGreen (like in the FS2 campaign) equipped?

Good question, I'll have a look. I suspect the former considering how ineffectual they were. If so I'l try with BFGreens  :cool:

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
On the other hand, outright ramming the Sath would probably safe the lives of many destroyers.

Possibly, although ramming doesn't appear to do much in FS. The Hades was still in one piece after being rammed by a Typhon, and I have collided at full afterburner speed with other fighters and been fine (which is perhaps why they revoked my pilots licence  :lol: )

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Post some screens!

Will do - but noob question inbound - How?

I was thinking of recording video of the engagements and posting them on YT too - but again - I don't know how.

Old dogs trying to learn new tricks is hard  :lol:

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Hmm...

How many Mjolnirs vs 1 Sath?

Or, how many Ravanas vs 1 Sath?  :p

Great ideas, I'll add them to the list  :)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Try the Hades.

Yup, definitely going to give that one a go  :lol:

Oh my, 6 posts in a row..

Just press print to take screens, the game safes them automatically so you don't have to paste them somewhere.

OBS allows you to capture in-game footage.

Re: Destroyers vs Sathanas
My issue with Solaris capital ship combat is letting a single missile salvo through often loses you the mission, and forces you to be a either a point defense "gun" or bum rush the enemy ship to take out the launch. At which point there's nothing else you can do. These are warship which are supposed to be able to defend themselves to a marginal degree, take a beating and hand one out.
FS2 Warships do this more slowly, but their damage is more consistent.
FS2 capship combat feels like two skyscrapers beating each other to death, which I honestly prefer.

It's a more realistic design choice to have a kilometer long ship explode after a hit with a multi megaton nuke than taking several gigatons without big trouble.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
It's a more realistic design choice to have a kilometer long ship explode after a hit with a multi megaton nuke than taking several gigatons without big trouble.

Actually the opposite might be closer to the truth - you know, redundant compartments and reactive armor and such
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Without having done any calculations I'm pretty sure that there wouldn't be much left  of a 2km long ship if you detonate 5GT next to it unless it's made of exotic matter.

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Realistic dynamics of combat in space is a pretty deep rabbit hole that probably isn't particularly useful for the topic of what makes a good/fun freespace capital ship, or for the topic of how many X a sathanas can beat in a fistfight
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Sure it isn't, the one thing above is "how many MT can a destroyer, built hundreds of years in the future withstand", what is obviously pointless as they were just typed in there by some guy who didn't thought the weapon tech descriptions.