Author Topic: Tiger Meet  (Read 2149 times)

Offline diamondgeezer

For those not in the know, Tiger Meet is an air display event which invites pilots and their aircraft from all over the world to participate - providing their squadron mascot is some sort of big cat. Many pilots deck their aircraft out in partial or complete camoflauge paint jobs, and in 2063 the tradition is as strong as ever...

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Textures make it look like a wood toy model. :p
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Interesting reskin :)

BTW is it just me or does one of the canards look bigger than the other?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline diamondgeezer

59 views and two replies? Nuts to the lot of you.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
ok, I'll reply again.

Specifically, I think the thick grey lines make it look like a model.

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline diamondgeezer

Specifically, I did it in Paint, and you know full well that I am not a texturer of any sort

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
you did that in paint?

ok, I think I'll sit down now..

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
Specifically, I did it in Paint, and you know full well that I am not a texturer of any sort

Why? Seriously, try Gimp, or the free thirty day trial of PSP 7 which I'm sure wouldn't be too hard to extend. You could at least do thinner, antialiased lines in PSP, apply some gentle gradient fills on your squares, a lower layer of detail lines to make up the hull plating.

Have you sen the XWA texturing tutorails? They might be a bit hard to follow with paint, but get the PSP trial and you're laughing.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by karajorma
Interesting reskin :)

BTW is it just me or does one of the canards look bigger than the other?

the canards are at a slight angle, that's why the closer one looks shorter. seen from front, they look like a flatten V
SCREW CANON!

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
mmm... tiger meat....

Offline diamondgeezer

Originally posted by Black Wolf
Why?

Cos I know how to use Paint. Which is the same reason that I use Blender to model and FrontPage to make websites. You all know how cross I get when people say this stuff to me.

I'll be honest, I don't want to be a texturer. I don't want to spend ages learning the arcane science of PSP, just like I don't particularly want to make models. It's a case of neccessity - no one else wants to touch my mod with a ten foot chig-pole, so I'm doing everything myself and hashing most of it up just like I predicted. I went and did the tiger skin because I figured it would be fairly simple to do, I just redid the skin used in that 127th Angry Angels shot. I actually thought it was quite 1337, and I was thinking of giving it out as a bonus during the campaign. Good job I found out it sucks now, rather than later.

You know, one day I'll release this S:AAB conversion and all anyone will do is complain about the awful clipping and ugly skins. And I won't give a flying ****, cos you'll have brought it upon yourselves.

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
  • Away in RL land. Back later.
It looks cel shaded. Interesting.
Intel C2D E6850|4Gb RAM|Abit IP35 PRO|ATI X1900 XT

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by diamondgeezer

Cos I know how to use Paint. Which is the same reason that I use Blender to model and FrontPage to make websites. You all know how cross I get when people say this stuff to me.

I'll be honest, I don't want to be a texturer. I don't want to spend ages learning the arcane science of PSP, just like I don't particularly want to make models. It's a case of neccessity - no one else wants to touch my mod with a ten foot chig-pole, so I'm doing everything myself and hashing most of it up just like I predicted. I went and did the tiger skin because I figured it would be fairly simple to do, I just redid the skin used in that 127th Angry Angels shot. I actually thought it was quite 1337, and I was thinking of giving it out as a bonus during the campaign. Good job I found out it sucks now, rather than later.

You know, one day I'll release this S:AAB conversion and all anyone will do is complain about the awful clipping and ugly skins. And I won't give a flying ****, cos you'll have brought it upon yourselves.

If that's the way you feel, then that's it I suppose. But if you do change your mind and try PSP I think you'd be surprised at how easy it is. At this level of complexity it runs almost like paint, except has access to more colours, and can do thinner looking anti aliased lines. It has a shapes tool, it has a fill tool, it has a line tool. It can even do lower opacity lines for smaller detail if you're willing to fiddle with layers (which really isn't difficult). With a few tuts, a bit of experimentation and a degree of interest, you'd be able to produce something where people wouldn't complain (well, about the skins anyway).

Up to you though.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp