Author Topic: Shivan homeworld  (Read 20942 times)

Offline Nuclear1

Well, if any of you still play the FS2 main campaign, you'll remember Bosch says something about the Shivans being born "from the flux of subspace". That;s probably why they were so determined to reclaim the jump nodes in FS1, because they were retaking their home.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Wow, been a while since I've seen this kind of topic. :p There have already been many discussions on this very subject (Origin of the Shivans by Aken Bosch, NTF Publishing House, 2372), just do a search if you want to see what's already been said in the past. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Originally posted by Liberator
Shivans are their ships.

By that I mean that if you examine the Shivans and their ships they are very similar anatomically.

What if some central command keep track of what kind of ship is needed and dispenses an appropriate hormone or radiation to Shivans at a certain level of development.  This hormone or radiation then causes the Shivan to metamorphose into a Mara or a Cain or even a Sathanas, granted it would take some time to metamorphose into a Sathanas but it's possible.

Thats just plain silly(like in Starcraft)....
The greates materials known to men can hardly withstand an atmospheric re-entry and you want to tell me that something biological is allso able to?:lol:

ALL biological things have certain properties, one beeing vulnerability to heat/cold... No organism can survive in outer space...it's just too damn hostile.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by TrashMan

Thats just plain silly(like in Starcraft)....
The greates materials known to men can hardly withstand an atmospheric re-entry and you want to tell me that something biological is allso able to?:lol:

ALL biological things have certain properties, one beeing vulnerability to heat/cold... No organism can survive in outer space...it's just too damn hostile.

Not true. There's a lot of support for a theoretical seeding of simple life and living molecules between planets, including Earth and Mars. Simple life can almost certainly survive in space.

More broadly though, life, be it simple or complex, is incredibly versatile. There are organisms of some kind on earth in almost every possible environment - tyhe incredibly hot, the incredibly cold, even the incredibly dark, areas where there's no light to begin the food chain. And that's just life as we know it. Conceiveably, alien life could be even more robust and adaptable than that on earth. Add to that the fact that Shivans use mechanical parts to augment there natural limitations, have been in space for at least 8000 years longer than humans, and that they're totally uninterested in planets (Have you ever seen a shivan craft atempt reentry (or more accurately... entry)?) and you've got plenty of potential space liviness.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Life is extremly resiliant, but you said it yourself - SIMPLE life (spores) can survive in space....
And it is scientificly proven that where there is water, there can be life....AND THERE IS NO WATER IN OUTER SPACE..

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
And it is scientificly proven that where there is water, there can be life....AND THERE IS NO WATER IN OUTER SPACE..

I suggest you go out there and tell that to every comet in existance! :D

While I doubt that the shivan ships are biological I'm not going to say it's impossible to make biological ships because it probably isn't. Whether biological ships are actually a good idea is another matter. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline J3Vr6

Life is extremly resiliant, but you said it yourself - SIMPLE life (spores) can survive in space....

God, this as educational as 3rd grade science.  I'm not going to even begin explaining as I'm sure every one of you knows how to use a search engine or open a book.
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline tEAbAG

Who says 'no water, no life'?  The universe is a big ****in place.  Life as we know it may require water, but 1000 lightyears from here; who knows?
If happiness is a warm gun and love is a battlefield, why should we give peace a chance?

C-130 rollin' down the strip
hits a rock and start to tip
its all right, its OK
full of soldiers anyway

I think we should go Mung his dead grandma. - anOn

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Bio-ships?

Crap.....

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce

It definately has been proven on this planet that water seems to be crucial for live.  However, its nearly impossible to assume that ALL types of life need water to survive.  There is the theoretical assumption that life could take the form of a non-carbon base lifeform (i.e. we are carbon based).  Not sure how that would work.

Then theres the fact that yes there is water in space.  There are asteroids that are made of ice deposits, comets and meteors can have water in them, mars has water in its polar caps, heck they think there's probably some water on the moon (the most arid of places).  Europa is theorized to be comprised largely of water.  Titan has a nubmer of life building blocks, probably including some water....so yeah, I'd say water is around.  Just nothing as spectacular as a ocean, a lake, or a river.

Just think this way: until you've turned over every stone on the beach, do not assume that there aren't any crabs under them.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Originally posted by IceFire

It definately has been proven on this planet that water seems to be crucial for live.  However, its nearly impossible to assume that ALL types of life need water to survive.  There is the theoretical assumption that life could take the form of a non-carbon base lifeform (i.e. we are carbon based).  Not sure how that would work.

Silicon. It's closer chemically to carbon than any other element. Problem is that silicon bonds are much stronger than carbon bonds, so reactions are much slower.

Which means that silicon lifeforms could only exist close to the core where the older stars lie.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2003, 10:57:00 pm by 490 »
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
for the star system I have no idea, but we all know Shivan's live in Dyson Spheres :p
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Shivans most likely would have lived on a barren planet, i.e. no atmosphere, in order to evolve the ability to survive in a vaccum.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Unknown Target
Shivans most likely would have lived on a barren planet, i.e. no atmosphere, in order to evolve the ability to survive in a vaccum.

I very much doubt that is an evolved ability even if it is real (the only proof I remember ever hearing of it is a single joke movie on the Silent Threat CD)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
The shivan homeworld is a low grav arboreal world. They aren't nomads or antibodies, etc. They're just xenophobic, chitonous bioforms.

Trashman, just because life as we know it requires water does not mean water is required for all life. That's like saying:
1. All the Cars in my neighborhood run on gasoline.
2. All the Cars in my Neighborhood do not run without gasoline.
3. Cars cannot run without gasoline.

This is false because some cars and trucks run on diesel.  You may argue that this is not the same thing at all, but I disagree. Your logic is flawed. Life does not necessarily need water unless you are constraining your definition of life artificially to "life as exists on earth today".
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Originally posted by mikhael
"life as exists on earth today"
revise that, "life as exists on earth today - that we know of"

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
Originally posted by LtNarol
revise that, "life as exists on earth today - that we know of"

Point taken.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Let me re-phrase that:

Chamses that a Shivan-like lifeform will evolve somewher in our vicinity is astronomical.....

And bi-ships are crap... Even if they were possible (and they aren't) there's no way they could be as fast, resiliant and overall good as a normal one...

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!

And bi-ships are crap... Even if they were possible (and they aren't) there's no way they could be as fast, resiliant and overall good as a normal one...

On what do you base this "they aren't possible" position? What are you comparing them to? Whas fast, resiliant and overall good "normal" ships are you claiming?

While I agree that the idea of a biological starship or starfighter is unlikely, I am not going to say that there is no way they could outperform inorganic craft. You're comparing speculation to speculation and assuming you know which one comes out on top.

In the defense of biological craft, I'll mention the voidhawks of the Night's Dawn trilogy. The Edenist biocraft rocked.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Originally posted by mikhael
In the defense of biological craft, I'll mention the voidhawks of the Night's Dawn trilogy. The Edenist biocraft rocked.
I'd also point out Vorlon and Shadow ships from Babylon 5, or if prefer Star Trek references, those of that one species that was kicking the Borg's rear end (you know, the ones with 3 legs).