Author Topic: Problem with inferno  (Read 17445 times)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Why are your parents so scared of any software that isn't spoon-fed to them?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
They should be more afraid of the software that is spoon-fed to them... IIRC, if Windows Vista doesn't get to phone home within 3 days, it goes to reduced functionality mode.  Or is that only if it thinks a hardware change was made?  Anyways, and there's Norton.... miserable piece of junk (I'm being polite).  McAffee isn't far behind.  Windows is full of holes, there's like a hundred different patches for XP now, and I'm sure Vista is quickly catching up.

Although, they are correct in being inherently suspicious of things they don't understand.  If you aren't, you're leaving yourself wide open for crap like fake Anti-Virus or Anti-Spam ads  (eg, "Your computer may be infected!!!11 Scan for free now!" - when the product is itself a Spyware).  But, if you know a bit of what you're doing, you can get along quite well.  Pretty much, advise from here is good.  Just don't do anything an0n tells you.  :lol:

Why are your parents so scared of any software that isn't spoon-fed to them?

cole, i love LIKE:D ) you for putting in some time towards helping me, but this it were i draw the line. EAT PHOTON BEAM CANNONS!! :beamz: :beamz: :beamz:

(the rest of you bedda' watch out, theres more were that came from!!!! IM TIRED OF THIS, YOU HEAR ME?!?!??! TIRED!!!!!!!! )
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Sorry, but it just seems like they are super-strict. (please don't eat me :shaking:)

My guess is that they are (I'm putting this as politely as I can) not the most computer-savvy.

Or even if they are, it still makes sense. Think about it: they don't know much about us (unsure of what Titan has told them), and they see us as a potential threat. We know that none of the programs or files traded around here will do any kind of major damage, but they don't know that. They may think that one of us HLPer's would decide to hack their computer for fun or something.

Besides, I know I probably wouldn't trust a 12 year old kid (that is Titan's age, yes?) to download just anything to my computer. My parents wouldn't allow it till I was at least 16!
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
I figured that that was the problem, my friends parents are the same. My parents let me download whatever I want, because they know that I am responsible. I actually had to stop my mom from using LimeWire because of virus issues.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
1) Use Frostwire
2) Virus scan everything you download that isn't a .mp3 or movie file.  :p  EDIT: Ah, heck, just virus scan everything.  XD

even though my dad's job is to work with computers, he doesn't really like talking about them at home, and he can be a little..... emotional sometimes. and if i ask mom, she just says "ask dad, im busy" even if shes just standing there, doing nothing.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!