Author Topic: Model Release I: GTB Phoebus  (Read 14200 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Model Release I: GTB Phoebus
Just release it already! :(

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I have an idea for it, it'd make a great corvette support for Zagreus.
I'll most likely use it if it'd be released.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
See! Lots of people could use it. Woolie could also use it in one of his campaigns since he makes extensive use of ships of that style.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Well we are talking 200-600 polygon ships here, not stuff like we've been showcasing in the eyecandy thread. These are more the type of things that I'd dump in a huge zip alltogether because they aren't worth being released as singular official use ships nowadays. Plus we have to revamp the tables to remove armour coding and none released weapons as well as making them compatable with the mediavp textures so they can be used for anything.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
None of that is really necessary. All of that can be done by the end user. If the end user wants to use it, they should be the ones doing the work, basically.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
If you'd dump that in a huge .zip, then do just that.
Just upload it somewhere else than to Fileplanet.
Everybody who'd like to use one of these ships would have to edit tables a bit, but that shouldn't be a problem for anybody who's using custom ships anyway.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
We'll end up getting flooded with 'it doesn't work' posts if we don't unless we state its a full model dump, but single release ships have to be fully useable at least or there's no point releasing them separately.
I do want to keep a specific level of quality control on things getting released, so that we don't get loads of complaints later.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Making a full model dump is exactly what I suggested (I guess that only a few of these ships are good enough to warrant a full release).

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
If you'd dump that in a huge .zip, then do just that.
Just upload it somewhere else than to Fileplanet.
Everybody who'd like to use one of these ships would have to edit tables a bit, but that shouldn't be a problem for anybody who's using custom ships anyway.
If it was a true model dump then yes I would just dump the pofs with no other files or support, but that would take time to build and Mobius wants this ship released right now, so it has to be fully useable as a standalone release model. Some models would need to be returreted though if they use our custom turret maps as those wouldn't be in the pack.

As for the stuff dumped from the anniversary release I'm withholding that for a specific reason. I actually want to release them separately with FULL Inferno compatability with that release as if they were never cut. So if you want to have the Ryujin back in there, then you have the choice to download it separately. But if it gets released now that will not happen as I'll consider it done and not worth the bother as others can do it themselves then since they have the files they need to do so. But of course if you can't mod then you're out of luck until someone shares their version.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I think all released models should have a working table entry and adequate tech descriptions. I'm not a big fan of POFs and texturers literally thrown to the public with a big "do the rest of the job yourselves, dear end users" written on the package. ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
They should, but table entries could be unaltered from Inferno ones, since most designers change armament anyway.
Release with full compatiblity to Inferno would be a great thing though, far better than a single modeldump.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I would personally prefer full compatibility with vanilla FS2 or the FSPort over compatibility with Inferno. It makes things so much easier for the end user.

Table entries will be obviously changed, of course, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't provide them or people will have nothing to work on. Also, I strongly believe each released ship should have a tech description explaining what it was meant for.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
They should, but table entries could be unaltered from Inferno ones, since most designers change armament anyway.
Release with full compatiblity to Inferno would be a great thing though, far better than a single modeldump.
We use different Ai settings, armour code settings and sometimes even sound offsets for engines, it's not as simple as just changing weapons to get it to work with another mod, everything has to be checked.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Okay OKAY I ADMIT IT i just wanted that particular ship for my campaign can I have it now please :(

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Be patient. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
nOOoOoOoooooooo

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
What's up, now? :wtf:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
What was the fenris textured cruiser thing that kind of had downward sloping sides and a fairly flat design? I remember that thing being pretty cool.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Snail

• SC 5
What was the fenris textured cruiser thing that kind of had downward sloping sides and a fairly flat design? I remember that thing being pretty cool.
Probably the Bellerophon.